Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam HD-P2 "Buffer Over-Run. Media might be too slow" Error Message?  (Read 4530 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Ran my P2 as a bit bucket behind the V3 last night (24/96) for John Butler Trio.  Everything went great for the opener & the first 1.5GB split of JBT.  During the second 1.5GB recording of JBT, I got a "Buffer Over-Run. Media might be too slow" error message.  Once I got the message the recorder basically locked up.  I could clear the message and access menus, but it stopped recording & I couldn't get it to do anything with the card after that.  Not even play back the files on using the internal speaker or headphones.  I was using a Kingston 8GB Elite Pro 45x CF card & had no problems with it up till this point for one show previously and several tests at the house. 

Googling the error message this morning, I found this:

Subject:    Re: Tascam HD-P2
Date:    Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:50:22 -0000

The new TASCAM HD-P2 (Firmware v. 1.03) seems to have a problem with the Pre-Record mode. I always get a "Buffer Over-Run. Media might be
too slow" error message once the Pre-Record mode is activated. This effect is independent of the selected sample rate and bit depth. It
appears even at the lowest possible data rate (44.1kHz, 16 bit, mono).  However, when I disable the Pre-Record mode, the recorder works fine
at up to 192kHz/24bit/stereo with the same CF cards (I tried various Toshiba, Kodak and Hitachi cards). The integrated "Media Speed Check"
also reports an "OK" for all combinations of sample rates and bit depths. So, I guess that the pre-record problem is a firmware bug that
will be fixed soon (I already reported it to TASCAM).

Looks like I need to verify if my unit has the most current V1.04 firmware.  I assume it does since the new firmware came out in February 2006, and I just bought the unit in the last couple months (They were on backorder at Oade & he was waiting on new stock from Tascam).  What confuses me is that I had the pre-record function enabled, and the opener set recorded fine as well as the first file of JBT prior to the 1.5GB split?  I read through the V1.04 "Read Me" file (see attached), and see a couple items regarding cleanup regarding the buffer, but not anything that clearly addresses this issue IMO.

Anyone else run into this?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline AlexG

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
Ran my P2 as a bit bucket behind the V3 last night (24/96) for John Butler Trio.  Everything went great for the opener & the first 1.5GB split of JBT.  During the second 1.5GB recording of JBT, I got a "Buffer Over-Run. Media might be too slow" error message.  Once I got the message the recorder basically locked up.  I could clear the message and access menus, but it stopped recording & I couldn't get it to do anything with the card after that.  Not even play back the files on using the internal speaker or headphones.  I was using a Kingston 8GB Elite Pro 45x CF card & had no problems with it up till this point for one show previously and several tests at the house. 

Googling the error message this morning, I found this:

Subject:    Re: Tascam HD-P2
Date:    Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:50:22 -0000

The new TASCAM HD-P2 (Firmware v. 1.03) seems to have a problem with the Pre-Record mode. I always get a "Buffer Over-Run. Media might be
too slow" error message once the Pre-Record mode is activated. This effect is independent of the selected sample rate and bit depth. It
appears even at the lowest possible data rate (44.1kHz, 16 bit, mono).  However, when I disable the Pre-Record mode, the recorder works fine
at up to 192kHz/24bit/stereo with the same CF cards (I tried various Toshiba, Kodak and Hitachi cards). The integrated "Media Speed Check"
also reports an "OK" for all combinations of sample rates and bit depths. So, I guess that the pre-record problem is a firmware bug that
will be fixed soon (I already reported it to TASCAM).

Looks like I need to verify if my unit has the most current V1.04 firmware.  I assume it does since the new firmware came out in February 2006, and I just bought the unit in the last couple months (They were on backorder at Oade & he was waiting on new stock from Tascam).  What confuses me is that I had the pre-record function enabled, and the opener set recorded fine as well as the first file of JBT prior to the 1.5GB split?  I read through the V1.04 "Read Me" file (see attached), and see a couple items regarding cleanup regarding the buffer, but not anything that clearly addresses this issue IMO.

Anyone else run into this?
I've only seen this error once when I was pre-buffering at 16/44.  I was using a Lexar Pro Media 133x 8gb card and using the latest firmware v1.04.  It gave me the error, I cleared it, and hit pause again and haven't seen it since.  It totally freaked me out since I've had this thing for over a year now with not one problem.  I wonder if it's a glitch in the firmware or there is a problem with my CF card (which is brand new btw).  It didn't freeze up my unit though.
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
It froze up in the sense that I couldn't do anything with the card, but I could still access all the menus, etc.  Weird.d
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
It froze up in the sense that I couldn't do anything with the card, but I could still access all the menus, etc.  Weird.d
My guess is the bug wasn't completely fixed in 1.04 and we hit some odd corner cases.  I wish I could reproduce it but I have yet to see it again.  I wonder if there is another firmware update somewhere in the pipe.

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam HD-P2 "Buffer Over-Run. Media might be too slow" Error Message?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »
My guess is the bug wasn't completely fixed in 1.04 and we hit some odd corner cases.  I wish I could reproduce it but I have yet to see it again.  I wonder if there is another firmware update somewhere in the pipe.
Well this bit me last night recording at 24/96 with the pre-buffer on.   ??? 

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »
I have experienced it as well.
The best way to stop the error from happening, the general consensus states is to not utilize the pre-buffer at all.
If you just hit record and let it roll it will be ok, but if you have it in pause rolling the pre-record especially after recording on the card (ie: recorded first set and the recorder is in the rolling pause/record mode for 2nd set) there is a very good probability of getting the buffer error message and having to restart your recording.
It's bit me a few times already so now I just hit record and cut the beginning out.
I love the pre-record feature but it's not worth the gamble regardless of card used.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »
I have experienced it as well.
The best way to stop the error from happening, the general consensus states is to not utilize the pre-buffer at all.
If you just hit record and let it roll it will be ok, but if you have it in pause rolling the pre-record especially after recording on the card (ie: recorded first set and the recorder is in the rolling pause/record mode for 2nd set) there is a very good probability of getting the buffer error message and having to restart your recording.
It's bit me a few times already so now I just hit record and cut the beginning out.
I love the pre-record feature but it's not worth the gamble regardless of card used.

Thanks for the info.  This is pretty lame if you ask me.  I hope there is a fix for this in a future firmware update.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »
I know I feel the same as well.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Taper Jeff

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live LIVE
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 08:24:30 PM »
I've got this error myself.
I usually record 24/96 SPDIF off my V3
I could usually recover from it, but sometimes it F***ed me up so I turned off the pre-buffer.
It seemed to be ok if the pre-record was only on & buffering for a few minutes, but after several minutes it would usually hang.

-Taper Jeff
(2x) AKG C 480 B (ck61s, ck63s) > Zaolla Silver Mic Cables > //OR//
(2x) TOA K1 cards > Zaolla Silver Mic Cables > //OR//
(2x) TOA YMM cards > KY's > Dasilvapath remotes > power modules> //
Lunatec V3 > Tascam HD-P2

>:D "If recording is outlawed, only outlaws will record" >:D

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper:%22Taper+Jeff%22

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
I only got this error once and it was during a recording.  I had been just deleting the old files without reformatting the card.  Now I reformat EVERY time and haven't had any problems.  FWIW I always let my deck sit in pause/rec sometimes 15 minutes or more and have had no problems with the pre buffer.  I did update to new firmware too.  But, even before I had no problems with the buffer. kirk

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
I only got this error once and it was during a recording.  I had been just deleting the old files without reformatting the card.  Now I reformat EVERY time and haven't had any problems.  FWIW I always let my deck sit in pause/rec sometimes 15 minutes or more and have had no problems with the pre buffer.  I did update to new firmware too.  But, even before I had no problems with the buffer. kirk
I did a fresh format on that card and I still had an issue so I don't think that is the panacea for this problem. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com