Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So - Am I missing any tragic flaws in the Fostex FR-2 LE?  (Read 9656 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
So - Am I missing any tragic flaws in the Fostex FR-2 LE?
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:34:35 PM »
In not a stealther, I dont need digital input...it's moddable - what am I missing here?

Just looking for a solid all-in-one solution...at less than 500 bucks - this looks hard to beat.

Only a few threads on this device...but

At this point - Im ready to send a few things to ebay to make some cash for one of these...

Can anyone talk me down...! >:D

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: So - Am I missing any tragic flaws in the Fostex FR-2 LE?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »
Not missing anyhting, it is a fantastic box.  The PMD660 is slighly smaller, but only does 16bit.  Very convienent....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:03:37 AM »
I haven't seen much on it either (I went through the thread on it a couple days ago). What are the gain ranges? Do the inputs overload?  Extreme bass handling? Does it have a hold button?

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »
I haven't seen much on it either (I went through the thread on it a couple days ago). What are the gain ranges? Do the inputs overload?  Extreme bass handling? Does it have a hold button?

some details..  I've only used the box once, so I don't have too many things to add.  Plus the one I have is an oade tcm, so I can't offer any info on the stock box

Testing at home shows my box has about 40-50db of gain, allthough I could be wrong. 

no *full* hold feature.. you can lock the top panel which is good, but the "rec stndby" button is allways live and will stop the recording if you hit it.  I have mine covered with a strip of velcro...

Build quality is decent, and so far I have had no "hiccups" so to speak in terms of function.  Ive been able to read every file and the box works perfectly when hooked up directly to a 'puter (shows as ext. drive).

Can be set to record either in 2gig or 4 gig mode in terms of file size and I have tried them all at home at all sample/bitrates.. no problems.. 

Power is the real gem..  I have a 7.2 3000mah NiMH tamiya battery which I have run for 6+ hours running phantom with the lcd screen on.  The battery level meter only decreased by about a third, so I would imagine at least 8 hrs on one of these batteries running phantom.  Line-in alot more I would think..

The only "problem" Ive had so far with my minimal testing is..  I ran it for one show with a v2 in front running line-in.  All night I thought I was bouncing off zero, yet there is indeed verrrrry minor clipping in some spots even though the peak lights never came on...  I will be more conservative in the future.. 

I will be posting more info as I get it ..  here..   http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92774.msg1235403.html#msg1235403

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:40:19 AM »
did ya run the V2 XLR in or 1/4 inch in?

curious is all.......

not much of a gear fluffer anymore......

i like what i like, you like... etc

but the box has worked fine for me so far  (~10 shows)
no file issues. batt life is fine... meters are fine...

starts a new file if you hit the record button, so
not worried about it if you have the Stop button locked

ran some trials and figured running it around 9/ 10 o'clock, if on it's side looking at the dial, was the best range to run it with a pre-infront... adjust yr levels on the pre

?>FR2LE

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:43:45 AM »
did ya run the V2 XLR in or 1/4 inch in?

curious is all.......

not much of a gear fluffer anymore......

i like what i like, you like... etc

but the box has worked fine for me so far  (~10 shows)
no file issues. batt life is fine... meters are fine...

starts a new file if you hit the record button, so
not worried about it if you have the Stop button locked

ran some trials and figured running it around 9/ 10 o'clock, if on it's side looking at the dial, was the best range to run it with a pre-infront... adjust yr levels on the pre

v2 rca > 1/4 ts

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
Ya know, output from V2 too hot for FR-2LE. Best to use pad, or run V2 carefully. Also Metering on FR-2LE is minimal. You need to format the card at the sample/bit rate you will be using, this cannot be changed unless you do a reformat.  About 40db gain from mic pres, with trim control. Headphone amp has hiss, but not on the BWAV  file. Sound quality is excellent on stock unit- what goes in, comes out the same.
Read more at this forum.

http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=forum&f=22
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:09:50 AM »
Do the trimmers work like mixer channel strip?

IE - Is the first set of red lights on the front meter a peak light (for the trimmers) - independent of the downstream gain and meters...?

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 01:41:18 PM »
Yes, the first lights are red peak lights for the mic trim. Then the rest of the meters are for overall level. The trim pots only control mic gain, they don't do anything when using the 1/4  line input: line input is -10 consumer level unbalanced.

Roving Sign

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »
Yes, the first lights are red peak lights for the mic trim. Then the rest of the meters are for overall level. The trim pots only control mic gain, they don't do anything when using the 1/4  line input: line input is -10 consumer level unbalanced.

Thanks - thats what I was hoping

and...that might explain why the V2 was brickwalling the Fostex...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 03:47:08 PM »
Those combo jacks are tough.  The sound from the V2 goes through the LE's Pre before it gets to the ADC.  That's why you brickwall.  There's no way getting past the LE's Pre.

V2 > LE Pre > LE ADC   

Roving Sign

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
Those combo jacks are tough.  The sound from the V2 goes through the LE's Pre before it gets to the ADC.  That's why you brickwall.  There's no way getting past the LE's Pre.

V2 > LE Pre > LE ADC   

I wonder if thats the case?...another poster said the trimmers dont do anything when using 1/4 unbalanced line in...

Sounded more like a pro gear line level being sent to something expecting a consumer line level...?

...The trim pots only control mic gain, they don't do anything when using the 1/4  line input:...

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »
So why aren't the preamp trimpots active with line in?  Preamp gain -50 to -10. after that -10 line input without pre. V2 output +4 nominal- max +26. Fostex FR-2LE Max input +2DBV Nominal -10 DBV
Take a look at the manual.... it's online. Better yet, Buy one and open it up.

http://www.fostexusa.com/support/pdf/fostex/fr2le/fr2le_owners_manual.pdf

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »
So why aren't the preamp trimpots active with line in?  Preamp gain -50 to -10. after that -10 line input without pre. V2 output +4 nominal- max +26. Fostex FR-2LE Max input +2DBV Nominal -10 DBV
Take a look at the manual.... it's online. Better yet, Buy one and open it up.

http://www.fostexusa.com/support/pdf/fostex/fr2le/fr2le_owners_manual.pdf

YES the trim pots DO NOT work when you run 1/4 ts in..  and what I experienced is NOT brickwalling..  it was clipping over 0..  only thing is the clip lights never came on during the recording.  These were on cymbal crashes and they happened every so often...   Yes I was sending the LE a hot signal and the input knob was not wide open..  I just think I have to run the v2 more conservatively and run the LE wide open..

edit:.. o wait, I guess what was happening was brickwalling.. just a *very* mild type..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:53:11 PM by eric.B »

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 09:00:32 PM »
In not a stealther, I dont need digital input...it's moddable - what am I missing here?

Just looking for a solid all-in-one solution...at less than 500 bucks - this looks hard to beat.

Only a few threads on this device...but

At this point - Im ready to send a few things to ebay to make some cash for one of these...

Can anyone talk me down...! >:D

I'm actually contemplating the same move. I would be interested to hear your results. I am curious how the CK-1s match up with the FR2-LE.  I was talking to Busman about a modded unit. He felt the T-mod would pair nicely with the ck-1s since these mics already have a full low end to them.

Keep us posted if you do go for one.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com