Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on recorders to run out of a V3  (Read 7761 times)

Offline CTDave

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Thoughts on recorders to run out of a V3
« on: December 23, 2007, 08:54:09 AM »
Now that I have my dream V3, my next upgrade is the recorder. I've sold my D8, and the JB3 can be problematic. V3 lovers out there, my question to you is :

What would you run behind a V3?

I know that Doug Oade can upgrade the A/D in the V3, but I'd like to run it as is before I consider that.

I'm considering the Tascam HD-P2 with maybe a Tmod, or no mod at all, the Edirol R4, because I like the idea of having a hard drive to record onto and 4 trascks, but am wide open to others ideas. The idea of a 7XX  series is out of the question... I want to enjoy the V3 before that is a consideration..

Thanks for any input at all...I don't expect to start shoping around for a unit until after the new year, so all ideas are welcome.

Peace,
Dave
AKG C480b ck61/ck63 > Bumblebee Miagi-II cables > Grace Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-4

AT853RX > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > JB3

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Thoughts on recorders to run out of a V3
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »
i don't have a v3, but imo if you are going to use the v3 as a pre and ad then get a microtrack or some other cheap recorder
i wouldn't spend an extra $500+ cash on a hdp2 or something to use it a bit bucket
plus the mt can be stealthed if need be

on the flip side if you ever want to run without the v3 or just use the v3 as a pre then a hdp2 would be better
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 02:48:43 PM »
i don't have a v3, but imo if you are going to use the v3 as a pre and ad then get a microtrack or some other cheap recorder
i wouldn't spend an extra $500+ cash on a hdp2 or something to use it a bit bucket
plus the mt can be stealthed if need be

on the flip side if you ever want to run without the v3 or just use the v3 as a pre then a hdp2 would be better

I hear you..I just need to get past my JB3. There are too many times that I have had issues with it..be it problems getting it up and running properly, or shuting down on me, or whatever, I want to get a more reliable unit....I've become accustomed to the hard drive of a JB3 compared to a flash media recorder, so I lean to the R4 over the hdp2..the microtrack has not appealed to me, but I have zero experience with it..

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:28:11 PM »
What's your budget?

Any of the Oade or Busman mods to the HD-P2 or R4 won't provide any benefits if you plan on using the V3 as both pre and ADC.

Low budget:  MT2496 (some have had reliability issues, many have not)
Mid-low budget:  Sony PCM-D50 (there's a long thread or two about it in this forum...may require an optical mod to your V3)
Mid budget:  Tascam HD-P2 (stock)
Mid-high budget:  R4 Pro (it's quite large, if size is a consideration)
High budget:  722
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:31:21 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 10:59:50 AM »
What's your budget?

Any of the Oade or Busman mods to the HD-P2 or R4 won't provide any benefits if you plan on using the V3 as both pre and ADC.

Low budget:  MT2496 (some have had reliability issues, many have not)
Mid-low budget:  Sony PCM-D50 (there's a long thread or two about it in this forum...may require an optical mod to your V3)
Mid budget:  Tascam HD-P2 (stock)
Mid-high budget:  R4 Pro (it's quite large, if size is a consideration)
High budget:  722
Hey Brian,
My budget is $700 to $1000....
I'd like to move into a reliable unit from the JB3....The Microtrack doesn't give me the warm and fuzzys...I think I'd go for the R-9, I think it's the R-9, the cheaper Edirol unit..I've run it before, easy as can be... before I'd go the  Microtrack route...

Is it your experience that running anything behind the V3 with a pre in it, like the HD-P2, will alter the V3, possibly not for the better?

As for recorders, because I have zero experience with flash media/firmwire, I lean to what I know, which is recording onto a portable hard drive, with a simple USB connection..that's why the R4 comes to mind...but again, a built in pre...

to many people, I imagine this is no brains material...don't alter the V3 sound, and get a cheap bitbucket, ..but I would like a more solid unit than most bitbuckets are...granted, with the amount of $ I would have invested, I could dump the V3, and just go the 7XX route...maybe I will end up doing that...but I want to play with the V3 for now..

thanks for your input,
Dave

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »
If you want a more robust (for lack of a better term) bit-bucket than the MT, I think the Tascam HD-P2 would be your best bet. You can pick a stock unit up for well within your price range, including media.

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
If you want a more robust (for lack of a better term) bit-bucket than the MT, I think the Tascam HD-P2 would be your best bet. You can pick a stock unit up for well within your price range, including media.

+ T..That seems to be the favorable opinion that I have been able to find among many threads..
also, Doug Oade gave the same response, althouh he also recc'd the Tmod for an option for a little more flavor than stock...he recc'd having him update the A/D in the V3 (I guess thats the ACM V3 mod) and going stock HD-P2, or as he also said, a simple bit bucket, like the microtrack or something simple like just staying with my JB3..

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »

+ T..That seems to be the favorable opinion that I have been able to find among many threads..
also, Doug Oade gave the same response, althouh he also recc'd the Tmod for an option for a little more flavor than stock...he recc'd having him update the A/D in the V3 (I guess thats the ACM V3 mod) and going stock HD-P2, or as he also said, a simple bit bucket, like the microtrack or something simple like just staying with my JB3..

Curious - why would you need to do any mods on the HD-P2 if you're going digi-in?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 10:09:18 AM »
marantz pmd 671.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »

Curious - why would you need to do any mods on the HD-P2 if you're going digi-in?
Good point. I have a couple of buddy's that run analog in to use the A/D in the HD-P2 instead of the V3. Does that make sense?

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »
marantz pmd 671.
I like this idea as well..+T

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »
Why would you need anything more than a bit bucket out of the V3.  What exactly is a more robust bit bucket?  The MTII's problem with the V3 @ 24/96 will be fixed, as the problem has been found and two companies are working at it.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »
Why would you need anything more than a bit bucket out of the V3.  What exactly is a more robust bit bucket?  The MTII's problem with the V3 @ 24/96 will be fixed, as the problem has been found and two companies are working at it.

Well, I guess robust was a poor choice of words...What I want is a reliable bit bucket/recorder. I've been recording onto the JB3 now for a few years, and over the last couple of months I have had a bunch of issues with it. Minor, yet issues. Like the first song of Tea Leaf Green at the  Vibes. For no apparent reason, a couple minutes into the opening song, and the JB3 shut down. It happened to me at P Groove this fall as well. Same thing, a few minutes into the recording, and it shuts down...happened at Dylan this year in the summer, but this time at about 20 minutes into the set, and also at Elvis Costello in the fall, first tune again....more times than I care to remember.....I have the cash right now to get something new, and a reason why I have been looking beyond the Microtrack II, is that I want something that is dependable/solid/well built, and I'm afraid that the MII will be similar to my JB3, but maybe the MII is all I need...I hope to run into folks running just about everything over the next few months, so for now the JB3 remains the unit..

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 04:37:30 PM »
there's a couple stock 671's in the YS. very robust, reliable. :)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 09:44:08 PM »
I can say with out a doubt that the MTI worked without problem, except my stupidity, after a couple of updates.  The MTII will be just fine.  As I said before, with Grace and M Audio working on a fix, the MTII will be the best choice for just a bit bucket.  If you can wait a little more, you will see the whole thing work out.  IF it wasn't for the problem with the 2gb limit, I would not even had gotten the new unit.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com