Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First mics - matched pair  (Read 1055 times)

Offline frohbego

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
Re: First mics - matched pair
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 10:20:14 AM »
Really like the sound from
Shows with the - Neumann KM184.

Sounds like that's your answer, if you want to follow your ears. That connection to a certain sound is the personal subjective part that's hard to quantify.  A new pair is right at your stated budget.  Can probably find a secondhand pair for less. 

Also IMO, the form factor of the 184s has practical benefits for audience taping as an end-address "pencil" condenser in comparison to side-address large-diaphragm microphones.  The 414's are great mics that are smaller than many other side-address LD's but will still be considerably more bulky and visually imposing up on on a stand than a pair of end-address mics.  It is nice to have the switchable pattern options of the 414s available to you though. 

There are also a number of other end-address small-diaphragm microphone options in your price range you might consider, such as the DPAs Jbell linked, but if its the Neumann sound that grabs your ear, that seems the obvious answer.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 12:52:00 PM »
AKG C414 XLII

Or

AKG C414 XLS ST

i always thought that the XLII was more suited for vocals with a midrange bump and the XLS is flatter, which I assume means that the XLS might be a little better fit for our hobby?

curious if others feel the same way.
Jim Williams modified AKG C 460 B/CK 61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 01:32:09 PM »
Since you are asking.  I will give you my opinion.  I have had the Neumann skm184 mics in the past.  They look great and the small form factor is a plus.  However, I prefer the sound of the DPA 2012 for the same price (and even smaller size).  That said, the Telefunken M60 pair is a no-brainer since they likely sound the best of the 3 pairs, and have interchangeable capsules (cardioid, hypercardioid, omni) so you can upgrade or mix & match. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M60ST--telefunken-m60-fet-cardioid-stereo-set?mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=1&mrkgcat=microphones&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=&lid=58700008695999515&dsproductgroupid=&product_id=M60ST&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=x&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9192277&creative=&targetid=&campaignid=21161059673&awsearchcpc=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ri0BhAvEiwA8oo6F3PJBD3y7cwHVLToIbBLJJ2-aRAcfVT_yqughOC6pVPIdo1XEmT6cRoC36MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2024, 01:43:25 PM »
Further, I preferred the sound of my Neuman TLM102 mics over my SKM184 pair.  They are the same price and both fixed cardioid pattern.  The TLM 102 is a very small footprint LD mic.  If size is not a primary factor, I would look into the 102's over the 184's.

Neumann TLM102:
-Billy Stings @ Redrocks
https://archive.org/details/billystrings2022-05-13.InsideOut_TLM102

Greensky Bluegrass @ Hillberry Music Festival
https://archive.org/details/gsbg2021-10-09.InsideOut.NeumannTLM102
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 01:52:22 PM by HealthCov Chris »
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 04:45:26 PM »
I got a set of XLSs from them last year. Unfortunately one was a dud and when I returned them they were out of stock, so had to get a refund. Found a set on Ebay a little later and love them. I have also had had a set of unmatched KM140s for almost 20 years and they are my go to mics. Personally, I do not care too much if mics are matched, or not. Although it is a little nicer.

I am considering a set of M60s, but I like the sound of the omni caps, split better, from what I have heard of the other caps.

In my opinion, the Neumanns are the most "colored" of the bunch. The C414s are the most versatile, having the vast variety of patterns, aside from the four, there are also in between patterns. I doubt you would be disappointed with any of the mics mentioned here.

That connection to a certain sound is the personal subjective part that's hard to quantify.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Top Hat

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 11:27:38 PM »
Follow up. Buying first matched pair. Budget is $1500. Using a Zoom F8 Pro.

Really like the sound from
Shows with the - Neumann KM184.

Also looking at these. How about the following. Just a little over $1500 -

AKG C414 XLII
https://www.proaudiostar.com/akg-c414-xlii-matched-pair-used-customer-return.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD6Dg9i6U9qvsa_IxJ-1Jp8WsB0V6&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Oe42duXhwMVnYbCCB0XMQDHEAQYASABEgJR3vD_BwE

Or

AKG C414 XLS ST
https://www.proaudiostar.com/akg-c414-xls-st-akg-direct-b-stock.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD6Dg9i6U9qvsa_IxJ-1Jp8WsB0V6&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Oe42duXhwMVnYbCCB0XMQDHEAQYAyABEgIfg_D_BwE

Thank you!

I demo'd both the S and XLII and wound up buying a studio set of old 414 B-ULS's. You would have to pry these from my cold dead hands..Absolutely beautiful sounding mics and much flatter and warmer than either by a long shot. They RARELY see any use outdoors or sloppy bars. Mainly studio or intimate shows..a few bluegrass shows here and there.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 11:31:08 PM by Top Hat »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 09:55:47 AM »
Don't forget to budget for a mic bar, cables, clips, stand, wind screens, shocks, clamp(s), extension pole, batteries, gear bag, etc. A lot of mics come with clips and light screens, and some also include shocks. Even then there is still a lot of stuff to accumulate!

Also, if you have never open taped before, maybe someone in your vicinity can loan you a pair of mics to give it a try. It's not for everybody, as you have to schlep all of the gear, contact artists (sometimes), and deal with venue staff, plus all of the befuddled masses stumbling around while you have several thousand dollars worth of mics perched on your stand. A lot of people, myself included, enjoy it, but I know others that strongly prefer to stealth...

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2024, 01:34:42 PM »

If you like the sound from the Neumann KM184 then my vote is to go with those. They are fixed pattern cardioids so you wouldn't have the option of multiple patterns but the cardioid pattern is the most versatile IMO.

The KM184 is one of the best mics for taping at a distance due to the slightly enhanced top end (not bright but clear) and rounded off low end response (full but not tubby or bloated).

I just picked up a pair of KM140s - the interchangeable capsule version of the same mic. I had a pair in the past and they always performed well in a variety of situations.
Neumann KM140 || Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2024, 09:55:38 PM »
+1 to Good Cooker. 

Every mike has its own flavor and sound.  Those Neumann's are one of my favorites, and have a deadly accurate sound, as opposed to Schoeps which tend to be a bit bass heavy for some. 

Follow your own ears. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com