Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any problems running AT943>CA-9100>MT1?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline j.mart

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Any problems running AT943>CA-9100>MT1?
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »
i've ran this setup twice. first time, the battery lasted 5min before the 9100 indicated that the battery was drained and the mics stopped working. i arrived home and checked the 9V with a multimeter and it checked on the region of 8.2V which is almost brand new. "ok, this battery is faulty in some way" i thought.

on the second time, using fresh battery. lasts for 1.30, and the same shit happens, low-battery, the mics stop working.

i don't think the 943's require a brand new battery every hour and a half of recording, and i even recorded with them using a BB with a battery that only had 7.2V of charge left.

i've been using the DPAs with the 9100 and nothing of this sort happens, after >16h of recording.

could i run 943's>batbox>9100>MT?

the 943's aren't balanced btw..

add: i've been using rechargebles
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:38:18 PM by j.mart »
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Any problems running AT943>CA-9100>MT1?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »
i've ran this setup twice. first time, the battery lasted 5min before the 9100 indicated that the battery was drained and the mics stopped working. i arrived home and checked the 9V with a multimeter and it checked on the region of 8.2V which is almost brand new. "ok, this battery is faulty in some way" i thought.

on the second time, using fresh battery. lasts for 1.30, and the same shit happens, low-battery, the mics stop working.

i don't think the 943's require a brand new battery every hour and a half of recording, and i even recorded with them using a BB with a battery that only had 7.2V of charge left.

i've been using the DPAs with the 9100 and nothing of this sort happens, after >16h of recording.

could i run 943's>batbox>9100>MT?

the 943's aren't balanced btw..

add: i've been using rechargebles

Do not use rechargeable batteries with my preamp :) Use only Duracell or something of high quality :)
What is a mt-1? is that a microtracker first generation? if so that should not be a problem what inputs are you using and did you turn off the phantom power?? or plug in power if your using another input? Also what version of 9100 do you have the version 2 does not have enough juice to power dpa mics correctly. That is why I have version 3 and now version 3.2
Edit I see your problem is with the 943's NOT the DPA SORRY... how are they wired?
Chris
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:19:59 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:21:03 PM »

Do not use rechargeable batteries with my preamp :) Use only Duracell or something of high quality :)

my money would be on that *if* i had the same problem running the DPAs. :) i only have this problem with the 943's

does it really make a difference? 8.4V is 8.4V :)

old MT. 1/4'' line inputs. i've protected the p48 switch. the problem is with the ATs, the DPAs work fine. it's a v3 preamp (red light)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:22:37 PM by j.mart »
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:23:14 PM »

my money would be on that *if* i had the same problem running the DPAs. :) i only this problem with the 943's

does it really make a difference? 8.4V is 8.4V :)

old MT. 1/4'' line inputs. i've protected the p48 switch. the problem is with the ATs, the DPAs work fine. it's a v3 preamp (red light)

Do not use rechargeable batteries with my preamp :)  I think you must have an issue with your mics how are they terminated? and do they have my mod done to them? I have 1000's of customers using 900 series mics with no issue I suspect the battery.. There is a reason why I say never use a rechargeable battery with my preamp... Its because when they go there is no warning.. And its hard to tell if they are still any good and all of my measurements and design was based on a regular alkaline battery.. Not a rechargeable and 8 volts sucks when you can have 9.7 volts :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:25:42 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »

Edit I see your problem is with the 943's NOT the DPA SORRY... how are they wired?

they are unbalanced (1/8'' stereo jack). they aren't modded in any way
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:28:10 PM »

they are unbalanced (1/8'' stereo jack). they aren't modded in any way

Chalk it up to a bad battery or a problem with your mics. If my preamp will power the DPA mics it sure as hell will power your 900 series mics the DPA mics need much more voltage then the 900 series mics do. If you have a short between you signal wire coming from the mics and ground it will drain the battery very quickly.

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »
Do not use rechargeable batteries with my preamp :)  I think you must have an issue with your mics how are they terminated? and do they have my mod done to them? I have 1000's of customers using 900 series mics with no issue I suspect the battery.. There is a reason why I say never use a rechargeable battery with my preamp... Its because when they go there is no warning.. And its hard to tell if they are still any good and all of my measurements and design was based on a regular alkaline battery.. Not a rechargeable and 8 volts sucks when you can have 9.7 volts :)

if the problem is with two different fresh (rechargeable) batteries, i would call it paranormal that the DPAs work fine and the AT's don't. even more if the DPAs require a greater ammount of voltage to operate properly than the ATs (as you say). but i will use a regular battery tomorrow and run some tests. this is feaking me out.
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
a problem with your mics. If you have a short between you signal wire coming from the mics and ground it will drain the battery very quickly.

they sound ok to me with the SPSB-6. i'll test the 9100 with the omni AT's just in case.

i've checked the batteries i've used after this and they looked ok (8.xV)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:35:45 PM by j.mart »
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »
a problem with your mics.

they sound ok to me with the SPSB-6. i'll test the 9100 with the omni AT's just in case.

Well it might be that you have a bad battery why not just go out and get a Duracell and try it?

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »

Well it might be that you have a bad battery why not just go out and get a Duracell and try it?

will do tomorrow. 1AM here :)
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »

will do tomorrow. 1AM here :)

Come on man  ;) get in your car and get a battery now!! 1Am man I am up till 2am most nights :)

Chris

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »
chris, ran a test with a fresh alkaline battery with this setup. it ran without problems for 3.40h and the battery displays at 8.5V (should be suitable to record for a while right?). i guess it was a battery problem after all :)
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
chris, ran a test with a fresh alkaline battery with this setup. it ran without problems for 3.40h and the battery displays at 8.5V (should be suitable to record for a while right?). i guess it was a battery problem after all :)

You should be ok until you get to about 7.7 volts or so. But again anything important should always have a fresh battery.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »

You should be ok until you get to about 7.7 volts or so. But again anything important should always have a fresh battery.

Any advice on the absolute minimum run time one could expect with a 9100 (I believe mine is a version 2 / version 3 hybrid) off a fresh, good quality 9V battery?  i.e. if I am going to record shows on 4 consecutive nights, each of which will be say 4 hours tops, can I feel pretty safe using just one battery?  Would you suggest switching on day 3?  Every day?

Alternatively, is there some minimum voltage I can feel pretty confident means there are at least 4 hours of life left in an alkaline 9V?  I wasn't clear if you meant 7.7V meant to replace the battery immediately or if you thought you could squeeze in one more show starting at that voltage.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »

Any advice on the absolute minimum run time one could expect with a 9100 (I believe mine is a version 2 / version 3 hybrid) off a fresh, good quality 9V battery?  i.e. if I am going to record shows on 4 consecutive nights, each of which will be say 4 hours tops, can I feel pretty safe using just one battery?  Would you suggest switching on day 3?  Every day?

Alternatively, is there some minimum voltage I can feel pretty confident means there are at least 4 hours of life left in an alkaline 9V?  I wasn't clear if you meant 7.7V meant to replace the battery immediately or if you thought you could squeeze in one more show starting at that voltage.

You can do a simple test to see if you have a version 2 or a 3 if you have a three the ground between the input and output will not be connected. If you have a version 2.0 the ground on the input and output connectors are connected. A simple volt ohm meter can be used for this test. If you have a version 2 use a fresh battery.. If you have a version 3.0 use a battery with at least 8.3 volts minimum for best performance. I would always recommend changing the battery before each show. You would never do a show with out recharging your recorder's supply never do a show with an old battery IMO. The old preamps have a draw of 17mA the version 3.0 has 17mA the new 3.2 has 12mA draw.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com