Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A thousand DATs?  (Read 11683 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
A thousand DATs?
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:16:54 AM »
I have a friend with a thousand DATs.  Maybe it is only 500, but probably closer to a thousand.  They need to be transferred.  Many of them are probably lone sources.

How do you get a handle on that?    Start a company and get an intern?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: A thousand DATs?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
I could help with some...  Does your friend have a list??? 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »
I don't think there is a proper list.  Quite a few were probably recorded with recording permission but not distribution.

I asked him a while ago if he's made any transfer progress and he just sighed.. I think he's just not into it.  It's off the radar.

I wonder how many others are in this situation?  Maybe their DAT drive is even broken.  I wonder how long those tapes have before bit-rot and physical degradation become major factors?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
I don't think there is any shortage of working DAT decks; it's really finding new blanks that is a challenge.

Plenty of folks around here would probably be happy to help out with transfers, including myself. The clock is definitely ticking on tape degradation.

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »
I would gladly help out too.  I have a DA20 mkII that needs some use again.  There are plenty of us around willing to lend a helping hand.

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
I don't think there is a proper list.  Quite a few were probably recorded with recording permission but not distribution.

I asked him a while ago if he's made any transfer progress and he just sighed.. I think he's just not into it.  It's off the radar.

I wonder how many others are in this situation?  Maybe their DAT drive is even broken.  I wonder how long those tapes have before bit-rot and physical degradation become major factors?

Well, tell him I would be happy to do any of his Phish or related material... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline sunset

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
  I've been transferring hundreds of DAT's the last few months finally, most of them were about 8 -18 years old. I sent my deck in before hand for a check up, it functioned fine. I had good luck for the most part, some broken tapes. I noticed the Maxell DAT's I used like to break(luckily I bought mostly Sony), maybe it was a bad batch. Anyone have any tips or tricks on repairing broken DAT's? I've taped together some without too much trouble, but needed someone to help get it together. Good luck with the transfers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:50:57 AM by sunset »

Offline bhoy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
I'm in the same situation.  It's just overwhelming overload!  I have a Sony R500 and a Marantz PMD661.  For preservation sake only, I just need to start transferring, and then saving off the raw wav file.  Indexing tracks can happen later.

I don't even want to think of the 1000's of analogs!

Bill

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »
I'd be possibly interested in helping depending on the material, my deck was just serviced.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
I'm willing to chip in too.

First step is to at least organize them, as good a list as you can put together. You might get people willing to just take a grab bag, but it's better to have some motivation - folks like to work on what they know. You'll get a better transfer and better documentation that way.

Then break 'em up into batches, probably by band. Maybe batches of 10-20. Once you see what folks are interested in, have 'em do maybe 2/3 what they want, and 1/3 other stuff, or half and half. That way you don't have stuff that just sits and rots because people aren't willing to take it on.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
In the 90's, I had a SCSI DAT drive.  That would be a far better way to do transfers than a DAT deck that needs to send the digi out via SPDIF or similar.  I think it is in storage somewhere.  Heck, I might have loaned it to my friend years ago, but I don't think so.

The other neat thing about the scsi drive was that it can give you statistics about retries, errors, etc.  That is invaluable in knowing how good the xfer is.

If this thread can help get the ball rolling with getting some of these old tapes transferred for protection, than that is a very good thing.  I figure quite a few folks have moved on from DAT and just don't want to deal with them anymore.

A lot of folks probably feel the same way about their old analog masters.

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
I had a bunch of Keller Williams DAT's shipped to me ~6 years ago. I transferred some of them, but since then my DAT deck went missing. If anyone here wanted to take those on let me know.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
In the 90's, I had a SCSI DAT drive.  That would be a far better way to do transfers than a DAT deck that needs to send the digi out via SPDIF or similar.  I think it is in storage somewhere.  Heck, I might have loaned it to my friend years ago, but I don't think so.

The other neat thing about the scsi drive was that it can give you statistics about retries, errors, etc.  That is invaluable in knowing how good the xfer is.

Yeah... Data drives that could read audio DATs were really a step above (2x speed, iirc), but you'll probably need a machine with windows 98 for the drivers to work. I'm not sure they ever worked with XP, but if they do, that's certainly a better option.

But whether you're using an audio DAT deck or a data drive, the key as others point is simply organization and having a good setup to capture the raw data. Getting through the transfer process is most important; tracking and editing can come after the fact. For me, it was always an issue of tying up main computer while the transfer is going, but there are plenty of cheaper portables now with SPIDF that you don't need a computer at all.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 03:08:13 PM »
I have 10-15 audio capiable dds drives and 1 dedicated xfering laptop running xp

This works in most cases but occasionally I still need to use my PCM 7040, a8, or sv4100 to do some tapes

The dds drives are definitely the way to go if you got em
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
I feel your pain bro. I have about 400 or so that are lone sources and NEED to be xferred :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com