Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A thousand DATs?  (Read 11682 times)

Offline Liquid Meat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: A thousand DATs?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
I might e willing to coordinate efforts if there is interest.

I can do splitting, tracking, etc too if there is a need.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
I've had some of mine done.  getting them out and distributed is a good thing.  The longer it goes the less likely it ever gets done.  Maybe start a new board to organize group efforts on this.

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
I offered to transfer a friends old DATs that he had no plans of transferring (dozens of DATs, early 00's NYC-area indie rock). I was saddened when I got them and found that a majority of the tapes weren't labeled ???

Offline slowburn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
For years I had no idea how to do this. Or actually I didn't want to deal with it so I tried to not think about it. Hoping it would magically solve itself. And it almost did.

I suddenly noticed that my Fostex D-5 deck had a digital XLR output. And my Edirol R-4 pro has a digital XLR input. I had both for several years before I even noticed this.

I'm pretty sure you can get both or some other combination really cheap on ebay or somewhere.

All it took for me was to buy a digital XLR cable. No need for and amp or computer or anything else at this stage. You can set this up in the closet or garage or wherever.

Step 1
It takes about 30 seconds per tape to load it, hit record and check so the sample rates corresponds (needs to be set manually but it'll tell you if it needs to be changed).

I then do enough tapes for the harddisk to start to fill up. Often 50 or so.

Step 2
When it's full (or I need the Edirol for any live taping) just transfer the digital files from the Edirol via USB.

Step 3
Then it takes a little time to go through the files and name then correctly and delete any silence. Sometime there are hours of silence when I forget to stop the transfer but it's easily deleted so it doesn't matter.

Step 4
Do back-up to several places. Once this is done the tapes can be packed away.

Step 5
Splitting tracks and any editing as with any other recording.

Step 1-4 doesn't really take much actual time to do. The main problem for me has been to remember to write down the transfered shows in order so I know what file is what before I name them on the computer.

I have 500+ tapes so even starting 2-3 tansfers any night I'm home it will take a long time to get them all into the computer.

Offline med9

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
I have several decks and transfer methods could do maybe 6 dats at least per day. 6tb worth of hard drive space. I am sure they will make a nice home herein Oregon! I would share you u desire that or ? lmk pm or whatever

I have over 4000 dats as well still transferring as well
2 fostex d5's
1 tascam da-mkII
2 tasacm da-p1's
5 irivers I can use as optical transfer for dats.
1 sonmy dtc 700
1 panasonic sv3700
1 sony pcm r300
lots of mics, decks and preamps. and a few new toys to arrive soon!

hey bottom line I make nice recordings - sbd / aud.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:04 AM »
I have several decks and transfer methods could do maybe 6 dats at least per day. 6tb worth of hard drive space. I am sure they will make a nice home herein Oregon! I would share you u desire that or ? lmk pm or whatever

I have over 4000 dats as well still transferring as well
2 fostex d5's
1 tascam da-mkII
2 tasacm da-p1's
5 irivers I can use as optical transfer for dats.
1 sonmy dtc 700
1 panasonic sv3700
1 sony pcm r300

KICKASS ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »
the first question is, are all these master recordings? or recordings of artists/shows that have never been in circulation before? if not, are they really worth transfering? i am slowly transfering about the same amount of dats i personally recorded before i went  solid state recording.  i use a fostex d5 into a box that converts XLR digi out to firewire into final cut pro on a mac.  i have used alot of dat machines and the fostex d5 has lasted the longest and is still going strong. plus it has always played ALL tapes. it gets head clogs occaisionally and you have to take the cover off and use alcohol and a tech wipe to clean the heads.  if you have a tape that plays back silent, clean the heads.  do NOT get a tascam or panasonic.  fugazi has been transfering their recordings for the past couple of years and ian used a scsi data unit he got on ebay for cheap. he told me they pb at 4x speed. he also told me that if the unit hits a bad spot in a tape, it will try and resample it. i did not go this method because of the learning curve and i was reluctant to play masters at anything but real time.

Offline med9

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
I really would like to take the lead on this project I have six pro dat decks that I can do transfers on. also using my computer as well as 5 irivers to digital transfer any tape possible32 44.1 48 oor whatever. the options are almost endless. coax and optical options as well.. if anyone would like me to transfer their collections let me know. serious inquiry!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
I have the following:
 - 1 Sony PCM-7040 - 4 motor 4 head - Supports 44.1K/48K and Timecode - built Error Correction (most decks have very limited EC capibilities if any at all)
 - 1 Sony DTC-A8 - 4 motor - 32/44.1/48
 - 1 Panasonic SV-4100 - 2 motor 2 head - 32/44.1/48K and Timecode (will not gen timecode)
 - 9 SGI SDT-9000 DDS Drives (6 13.1 Firmware, 1 13.0 Firmware, 2 12.2 Firmware) - all formats supported - built in Error Corrections - 2.4x audio extract with output reports via DAT2WAV (you can find potential dropouts and diginoise using the output)
  - 2 Connor CTD-8000 5.AE Firmware - 2x Audio Extract
  - 1 SGI DDS-1 Drive 1x Audio Extract

I xfer all DATs via DDS first and if I hit a bad one I use the PCM-7040 or A8 (if it is a 32Khz DAT)

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline med9

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »
I have 8 decks and I am willing and able to make both analog and dat transfers as well as minidisc transfers. let me know
Thanks, Mike

I have 2 panasonic sv3700 1 tascam da-mkII and 2 tasacm da-p1's 2 d8 and a d7 as well as 2 fostex d5's and sony pcm r300
and 6 irivers I can use as transfers as well as 2 mini disc player/recorder 1 home decks

I am willing and able to make whatever transfers you need I also have a local friend that can assit as well he has a few home decks as well. Thanks, Mike

I have the following:
 - 1 Sony PCM-7040 - 4 motor 4 head - Supports 44.1K/48K and Timecode - built Error Correction (most decks have very limited EC capibilities if any at all)
 - 1 Sony DTC-A8 - 4 motor - 32/44.1/48
 - 1 Panasonic SV-4100 - 2 motor 2 head - 32/44.1/48K and Timecode (will not gen timecode)
 - 9 SGI SDT-9000 DDS Drives (6 13.1 Firmware, 1 13.0 Firmware, 2 12.2 Firmware) - all formats supported - built in Error Corrections - 2.4x audio extract with output reports via DAT2WAV (you can find potential dropouts and diginoise using the output)
  - 2 Connor CTD-8000 5.AE Firmware - 2x Audio Extract
  - 1 SGI DDS-1 Drive 1x Audio Extract

I xfer all DATs via DDS first and if I hit a bad one I use the PCM-7040 or A8 (if it is a 32Khz DAT)

Offline markslog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
I did this 4-5 years ago (transferred almost 2000 DATs).  I had 6 computers and 6 DATs decks all going at once.  It was apart of my routine for about a year
to transferred all those DATs.  I was using 200GB IDE HDDs.  Once larger HDDs came out I consolidated.  Now I still have tons of 200GB IDE HDDs.

And now I'm doing the same thing with my MiniDVs tapes (over 1600) and my VHS tapes (over 1000).  Been going for over a year.  :-)

If I had to do it again I would do DATs > Tascam DR-680 or something similar with a digital input.

Mark

Offline med9

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
well again if anyone looking for help to transfer dats or a dat collection/s
I have 8 pro dat decks and 6 irivers and computer transfers to assist in any project none to small or big. I am transferring my dat collection as well as I am typing this. Cheers, Mike

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 08:37:31 PM »
I have 8 pro dat decks and 6 irivers and computer transfers to assist in any project none to small or big. I am transferring my dat collection as well as I am typing this. Cheers, Mike

I will definitely take you up on this kind offer in the near future, Mike.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline med9

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
let me know when you are ready to do this
what bands in your collection. I have a good rined nearby that will help as well has a few tascam pro dat decks as well

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
let me know when you are ready to do this
what bands in your collection. I have a good rined nearby that will help as well has a few tascam pro dat decks as well

It's a Keller Williams collection that I got through a similar circumstance back in 2005-2006. Someone mailed them to me to do transfers. I did some and kept meaning to do more up until my deck disappeared :-\ I'll try to dig up the box this weekend. Will shoot you a PM for address and such.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com