Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sdhc memory card  (Read 3882 times)

Offline masterplan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
sdhc memory card
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:20:29 AM »
I'm filming and taping for quite some time now and had never any problems with my gear , but  this weekend my audio recording totaly failed .
I think my sdhc card fucked up , I used the same recording setting as always , but the recording came out useless , the recording went from good to nothing , than 1 cannel  going from left to right  ect
I am using this hdsc card now for 4 years and used it a lot , is there a livetime on those cards ?? ( sandisk 16 GB class 2 )
Also do I have to format my card ( how often or never ) , I now remove the files by hand after transfering the files to my pc , and format maby twice a year .
Glad I did film the concert also , so I have the cam audio , witch is pretty good , but I always tape the audio on my zoom because has better mic's than my cam , so the audio is a little better .

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: sdhc memory card
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »
I always use SanDisk, IMHO the best card. I think mine are class 4 or above.  I do format mine regularly, pretty much each time I want to erase them.  They should last forever unless damaged.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »
Actually, flash memory has a finite number of write cycles. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to determine if your card is about to head to the big bit bucket in the sky.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
MO (not confirmed by any authoritative source) is never delete files off the card on anything other than the same recording device (ie don't delete them via computer when recorded on a recorder).

Reformat when the card is full and you need to delete the data. 

I fill, reformat, fill again.  I don't even like to delete on the recorder. 

With more than one recorder I always use the same card in the same recorder rather than let them drift between. 

Use a good brand for reliability but they can go bad...  If anyone is aware of an average life or recommended end of use let us know.   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
i have had cards go bad. i think bombs right about formating the card in the device that is using it. also not to erase individual files. and get all files at the same record rate ie 24/48. also class 2 can be bad news. i think you can get 32gb class 10 for $20 now. oade says to use panasonic or lexar. i have never had a problem with transcend.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:50:54 AM »
I will only use SanDisk cards for recording and re-format on the machine for anything important.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
Costco has pretty good prices on San Disk Extreme and Ultra series SDHC cards. Maybe your local costco also has some deals.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
The topic opener says he's used that same card for years with the same settings and gotten good results, so speculation about the card being good enough or not is not neccesary in my opinion. If he has done the same thing as always, there's only 2 options in my opinion: whether there was something phisically wrong like damaged contacts, dirt or something that could have affected the writing proccess, OR the card has reached the end of its natural writing/erasing cycle (that thing exists although no dealer or brand will ever tell you how much it is, as they like to say they're infinitely writable). (I don't know it either, I just know it exists).
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
Signal bouncing from channel to channel does not seem to indicate a bad card. Why would it be able to write left channel samples and not right? Sounds like recorder or cable trouble.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
Signal bouncing from channel to channel does not seem to indicate a bad card. Why would it be able to write left channel samples and not right? Sounds like recorder or cable trouble.

Oh, I hadn't read the channel bouncing line. Your theory makes more sense then, a bad card/connection can make the sound go in and off but obviously not bounce from one channel to another.

Yet the taper states that "the Zoom has better mics" than his camera, so I assume he's recording with the internals - that means no cable involved. And that leaves us with the recorder as the only possible issue. What can make a otherwise ok recorder to suddenly lose signal on one channel? Do you think the cables that connect the internal mics to the motherboard can wear out or something? Hmmmm tricky thing this is.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
Went and bought 3 SanDisk class 4 - 32 Gb for 24.99 or 29.99 each 3 day ago at Staples in CO.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline masterplan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:10:45 AM »

Oh, I hadn't read the channel bouncing line. Your theory makes more sense then, a bad card/connection can make the sound go in and off but obviously not bounce from one channel to another.

Yet the taper states that "the Zoom has better mics" than his camera, so I assume he's recording with the internals - that means no cable involved. And that leaves us with the recorder as the only possible issue. What can make a otherwise ok recorder to suddenly lose signal on one channel? Do you think the cables that connect the internal mics to the motherboard can wear out or something? Hmmmm tricky thing this is.

I've done some tests with another sdhc card and  there is ( gladly ) nothing wrong with my zoom recorder , so it must be the card that I used .
And yes I use the internal mics of my zoom so no cable involved .
The channel bouncing , I didn't get eighter , it looked like the card only stored half of the data , thats why I asked if a card has a live of 4 years . This one is for the dustbin ..............

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »

I've done some tests with another sdhc card and  there is ( gladly ) nothing wrong with my zoom recorder , so it must be the card that I used .
And yes I use the internal mics of my zoom so no cable involved .
The channel bouncing , I didn't get eighter , it looked like the card only stored half of the data , thats why I asked if a card has a live of 4 years . This one is for the dustbin ..............

Ok, but does the recording switch from one to another channel more than once? THat seems so strange to me!

Din't throw it away, use it for no essential stuff like photos. If it fails you once again then you know its life has reached its end.
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
SanDisk are indeed excellent cards.  But be aware that brand is also the most counterfeited one out there and have lots of knock-offs floating around.  Make sure you only buy them from a reputable source.

I've also gotten excellent and reliable results from PNY and Kingston SD cards.  YMMV.

Offline fatstratcat

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
Here's an interesting, and informative article regarding the different classes, and the need for speed (or lack of it).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10246593-1.html
Mics: AT933 w/ AT853 caps (cards, subcards, omnis) / Primo EM172 omnis (4.7k mod)
Bars: AT933 ORTF μBar, AT853 ORTF Active-style bar, fatstratcat DIN bar, 32" omni bar
Pre: Church Audio 3-Wire Ugly II / Church Audio Ugly Battery Box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10 / Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.21 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com