Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A friend wants to get into taping (another friend, not the last one).  (Read 8833 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
he asked me about the Zoom H4 as a standalone all in one to begin with.  I told him he's better off with some external mics like what Chris Church produces and maybe a Sony M10.

i haven't had to shop around for new gear in a while so, i don't really know what's up.  but what's a solid deck that he can grow from? 

maybe something like church mics > whatever p48 naint box > M10?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A friend wants to get into taping (another friend, not the last one).
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »
he asked me about the Zoom H4 as a standalone all in one to begin with.  I told him he's better off with some external mics like what Chris Church produces and maybe a Sony M10.

i haven't had to shop around for new gear in a while so, i don't really know what's up.  but what's a solid deck that he can grow from? 

Hard to say for certain the best deck but a popular choice around here is the M10.  I've had a couple of "freak" incidents with mine of late but other than that it's been pretty bulletproof compared to my old R09.

Church mics (and most other miniature mics) are terminated in a 1/8" connector.  I don't see the absolute need for a preamp (be it a CA or Naiant one) if your friend is gonna be running small mics terminated that way.  To guarantee a lack of cellphone interference, and to keep things simple, why not have your buddy pick up a Church Audio Ugly Battery Box with his CA-1x's of choice?  There's very little that can be done wrong that way and if your friend needs more gain, he can always boost the levels on the M10 directly as the preamp on the deck is decent.  I don't see the point in dropping funds for a Naiant TinyBox or Church Audio Preamp for that matter if he's running 1/8" terminated mics.  I've run preamps in the past and went back to running a battery box only for over a year until I picked up actives and even then, I'll likely just run the battery box on the 1/8" mics.

That's my $0.02.

Offline melvis1645

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:21:27 PM »
Church mics> 9200,BB>DR2D was my first rig after the h4 and was a vast improvement. I thought the h4 produced good results but nothing like what external mics with a pre or bb will get. I haven't used my h4 in around 2 years not sure why I still keep it.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »

Hard to say for certain the best deck but a popular choice around here is the M10.  I've had a couple of "freak" incidents with mine of late but other than that it's been pretty bulletproof compared to my old R09.

Church mics (and most other miniature mics) are terminated in a 1/8" connector.  I don't see the absolute need for a preamp (be it a CA or Naiant one) if your friend is gonna be running small mics terminated that way.  To guarantee a lack of cellphone interference, and to keep things simple, why not have your buddy pick up a Church Audio Ugly Battery Box with his CA-1x's of choice?  There's very little that can be done wrong that way and if your friend needs more gain, he can always boost the levels on the M10 directly as the preamp on the deck is decent.  I don't see the point in dropping funds for a Naiant TinyBox or Church Audio Preamp for that matter if he's running 1/8" terminated mics.  I've run preamps in the past and went back to running a battery box only for over a year until I picked up actives and even then, I'll likely just run the battery box on the 1/8" mics.

That's my $0.02.

good point.  I've heard good things about the Tascam DR2D as well.  The 5 second pre-record buffer on the Sony M10 is nice.  is there any mini recorder like these with a digital in that he might utilize in the future?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

adrianf74

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:59:51 PM »
good point.  I've heard good things about the Tascam DR2D as well.  The 5 second pre-record buffer on the Sony M10 is nice.  is there any mini recorder like these with a digital in that he might utilize in the future?

The DR2D isn't a bad choice but it's battery life pales next to the M10. 

Why would he want digital in because miniature mics are all analog?  Many people around here are running Schoeps active rigs to a TinyBox or Nbox and they're both analog.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 11:35:08 PM »

The DR2D isn't a bad choice but it's battery life pales next to the M10. 

Why would he want digital in because miniature mics are all analog?  Many people around here are running Schoeps active rigs to a TinyBox or Nbox and they're both analog.

good point.  i was just thinking if he (probably won't) would get a V3 or something in the future.  but yeah, the A/D in the M10 or even the Edirol series is just fine.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
Strong recommendation for ca-14 omni and/or card > ca 9200 > m10 as a starting rig. You can do mic straight in to m10 but good experience to have a pre to get feel for concepts. Served me well.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »
I have the 2d and the M10.  Unless your friend has a need to record 4 channels with the 2d, the M10 is very much my preferred unit because of its outstanding battery life. You don't have to worry about your batteries running out at the wrong time with the M10.

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 01:00:42 AM »
in support of the dr-2d: I get about six hours of battery out of a pair of AAs, which is plenty for me. it's also really cheap (mine cost I think $90)
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
I would have him grab a Naiant Tinybox.  I think he could possibly have it configured to do 9v and p48 so if he upgrades to p48 mics he is covered.  You also have other options with the TB like transformers, dual outputs, etc.  A good start would be at853>Tinybox>M10.  With the at853 you have more mic pattern options than church mics.  Talk to darktrain he seems to have them for sale often maybe he can help you out. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

adrianf74

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Where's my Time Machine on the DR-2D?  :D  That $90 price was when they were being cleared out but you're lucky to find one for $170 now.

For the 853, it would've been my first choice except that the caps are becoming harder to find.  The subcard caps are next to impossible to find now that AT has no more and the omnis are $130 at Sound Pros and rarely show up.  There are also the hyper card caps but those sound like crap (I've avoided picking them up for that reason).

And regarding the TinyBox, I think the $300 price tag with P48, a 1/8" breakout adapter cable, and a 1/8" mini cable for might be cost prohibitive.  I love my TinyBox to death, however, I'd have a hard time recommending it to a new taper just getting his feet wet.  He could easily buy a 9100 in the Yard but I truly think the battery box approach to start with is a better bet.  If he enjoys it enough, he could pick up a preamp later and keep the battery box as a backup should his 9100 have issues. 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »
$300 for a P48 and 9v pre is cheap IMO and your covered if you get the mic upgrade bug.  I wish I would have started buying at a higher price point when I first bought gear.  I wouldn't have wasted so much time with gear I only ran a few times.

Where's my Time Machine on the DR-2D?  :D  That $90 price was when they were being cleared out but you're lucky to find one for $170 now.

For the 853, it would've been my first choice except that the caps are becoming harder to find.  The subcard caps are next to impossible to find now that AT has no more and the omnis are $130 at Sound Pros and rarely show up.  There are also the hyper card caps but those sound like crap (I've avoided picking them up for that reason).

And regarding the TinyBox, I think the $300 price tag with P48, a 1/8" breakout adapter cable, and a 1/8" mini cable for might be cost prohibitive.  I love my TinyBox to death, however, I'd have a hard time recommending it to a new taper just getting his feet wet.  He could easily buy a 9100 in the Yard but I truly think the battery box approach to start with is a better bet.  If he enjoys it enough, he could pick up a preamp later and keep the battery box as a backup should his 9100 have issues.

adrianf74

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
$300 for a P48 and 9v pre is cheap IMO and your covered if you get the mic upgrade bug.  I wish I would have started buying at a higher price point when I first bought gear.  I wouldn't have wasted so much time with gear I only ran a few times.

I've run everything under the sun over the last twenty years of being involved in this hobby and I've always liked "simplicity."  When it comes to small mics, I'd sooner run a battery box because I can travel light.  For somebody getting into this, I don't think an extra $30-$40 for a battery box over the mics is a waste of time when they can always use it in a pinch.  Sometimes, the venues I go to become very pat-down/wand heavy and a battery box is all that can be easily brought into the venue. 

Frankly, if the OP's friend is going with an M10, and mini mics, I don't see the need for a preamp.  In fact, I sold my preamp a while ago and went battery box only because I kept getting hit with cellphone interference.  This was before I had a TinyBox, however, the TinyBox will only be with me if I'm using actives; if I'm using the 853's, the battery box comes with.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »
^^  He asked for suggestions and I gave mine!  I guess we can agree to disagree. 

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
I love the DR-2d but I usually run 4ch. I know he's probably just starting with 2ch but I know there were times when I first started that a second source(like SBD) would have been nice to have had. The big advantage for the DR-2d is the 4ch function. I would also recommend the DR-05, mine usually gets about 14 hours on 2 AAs. I'd imagine the PCMM10 has a better DAC, but the DR-05 is very cheap in comparison. It all comes down to how much money they have to spend and how much each part of the rig matters to them.

As usual, strong recommendation for CA-14s or CA-11 mics for anyone running this type of gear. I'm sure some ATs would probably do the job as well. It's not absolutely essential but I would recommend a CA preamp with the CA mics(instead of a BB). The reason being that I typically have pretty low levels when running the CA mics > BB > mic in on these type of devices. I guess if we are running 24 bit it shouldn't matter much but I prefer the sound of the pre in most cases. Not pretending to know anything technical here, it just sounds better to me.

You might want to clarify to them that they need to cater their decision to how much open vs. stealth taping they are doing. That can be pretty important in deciding which recorder, which mics, which power, etc.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com