Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 60hz Ground Buzz Problem?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline PotatoGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Slacker.
60hz Ground Buzz Problem?
« on: April 01, 2004, 06:14:19 PM »
I have a board feed from a ben kweller show. long story but the board guy from the act before messed with my setting so i coudlnt record them. my master vol is low and i have ground buzz durring the entire thing. is there a way to take out that? i would apreciate it and a copy goes to who can help. :clap:

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:60hz Ground Buzz Problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 07:09:09 PM »
if it's at a certain frequency you may be able to eliminate that frequency without much damage, but I presume the buzz occurs at that frequency and all octaves relative

Offline PotatoGuy

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Slacker.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 08:16:41 PM »
maybe, i tried that but i dont know if i did that right. the buzz is at 60hz right?

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 08:34:30 PM »
with cool-edit pro, you can sample part of the WAV to build a profile, then eliminate noise with that profile from the entire WAV.  I've done this before to eliminate buzz from a loose connection to the sbd.  You have to be careful not to introduce weird digi-artifacts when doing this, but it does a pretty good job.

Offline PotatoGuy

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Slacker.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 08:37:35 PM »
heh can you translate that to english for me? i use cool edit pro so i can sort of figure it out.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 12:19:23 AM »
maybe, i tried that but i dont know if i did that right. the buzz is at 60hz right?

yeah, but it may also occur at octaves of 60, such as 120, 240 etc.

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »
heh can you translate that to english for me? i use cool edit pro so i can sort of figure it out.

well, I don't speak any language other than english, so I'm not sure how else to say it :)

In CEP, there's a filter called "Noise reduction". I don't remember where in the tree it is, and my computer's off so I can't go find it.  Basically, you select a portion of the WAV - find a quiet part that only has the buzz.  In the dialog, you can select "create profile from selection" or something like that.  Once you do that, you should be able to save that off to a file.  close the dialog, go select another part of the WAV with some music, re-open the filter, and click "preview" or something like that.  You may have to load the profile back from file, but I think it persists after you sample it.  Then, just adjust the sliders to get the amount of reduction that sounds good without creating digi-noise.  

I have found that this filter won't work on an entire 2hr wav file.  It seems to be memory dependent, so you may have to proceses the wav in segments.

Is that more clear?

J

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 11:34:06 AM »
If you run XP you can get a program called SoundSoap that is designed to remove noise and buzz from recordings.  It has a 60Hz setting and you can fine tune it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 12:46:58 AM »
If you run XP you can get a program called SoundSoap that is designed to remove noise and buzz from recordings.  It has a 60Hz setting and you can fine tune it.

FWIW, CEP has the same feature, as I suspect most audio editing progs do.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com