Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: any way to remove wind rumble from recording?-  (Read 2680 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
any way to remove wind rumble from recording?-
« on: July 15, 2004, 09:51:21 AM »
ssia, from the techno tard. :P

marc0789

any way to remove wind rumble from recording?-
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 10:19:39 AM »
thanks, Marc.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re: any way to remove wind rumble?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 11:28:25 AM »
other than a set of dpa windscreens and a couple crown royal bags (just givin ya shit officedog!)...
you'd want to use an audio editing software to cut out some lower frequencies...i'm no engineer so i can't tell you what freq range is usually affected but i have cut out some serious wind in a recording before by just playing around with it a lot.  i've used sound forge and cool edit primarily for that.

i know you don't do computers though, so you might want to find someone to do it for you.  i'd volunteer my services except i can't even seem to get my shit together to transfer phish and 10klf yet!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

marc0789

Re: any way to remove wind rumble?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 11:31:05 AM »
thanks Simp.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: any way to remove wind rumble from recording?-
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:31:50 AM »
Any low end cut filter will probably do the trick.  In CoolEdit, go to Transform, then Filters, then FFT filter.  It will have a preset for a bass cut.  This might be all you need, or you could try fiddling with it to get the main part of the filter notch centered around the frequencies that the wind noise affects most. (If you have a spot between songs where it is wind noise and not much else, you could highlight this section and do a frequency analysis under the analysis tab to help determine the main frequencies where the wind noise is popping up).  Even if you don't go this far, you could play around with making the bass cut more severe--ie, attenuating more, greater decibel cut--to see if this cuts out the wind more.  Whatever you do, just do this filtering on a case by case basis for where you have wind noise, not the whole file, as it will obviously cut out your low end.

I don't know how to go about it with other software packages, but the procedure should be pretty much the same.

BTW, is this from your Red Rocks tapes?  You actually had wind noise using the bigass Shure windscreens?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

marc0789

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 11:44:00 AM »
todd, don't know if you use them, but they suck balls. worse than the dpa screens, imo. worse than not even having screens. really disappointing, already sold em.

Moke was kind enough to make me a serious furry dead rat cover to go over the dpa screens. He tried it in some serious wind, and zero rumble.

gotta find someone willing to try to fool with these. thanks, Marc.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 02:02:56 PM »
todd, don't know if you use them, but they suck balls. worse than the dpa screens, imo. worse than not even having screens. really disappointing, already sold em.

Wow, you had wind noise on your tapes when using the Shures?  I had a pair for a long time, and then sold them since I felt they were taking the "airyness" out of my recordings--just the very top end sparkle seemed to have been missing.  That and the fact that they are bulky as hell.  So I sold them and got the DPA screens I had heard good things about.  Used the DPAs for several shows at Red Rocks and got a bunch of tapes that were riddled with wind noise.

So back I went to the Shures.  I have never heard even a spot of wind using the Shures, even in really stiff winds at Red rocks (far worse than anything this past weekend).  Not even a problem for the huge ocean winds I taped in at Seaside Park in Bridgeport back when Gathering of the Vibes was held there.  Odd as hell you had troubles with windnoise using those shures...   ???
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 02:10:45 PM »
yep, I was surprised, particularly since I got only mild rumble at 10klf, and it got fairly windy there at times, even way fob right in front of the stage, shielded somewhat by all the crap on stage. but it was much windier at rr, I think. How does the wind for the closing acts stack up with what you've experienced there, Todd?

they are decimated in spots. and I only ran about 7' at the most when it was even remotely windy, 7.5" when it was calm.  ???

*may* be a dpa thing, but that seems weird. they do have very unique grilling, I spoke to someone at the us rycote distributor, they don't make a single product for dpa for that reason. grabbing at straws here, just can't figure it out.

marc0789

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 04:18:43 PM »
I spoke with Bruce Myers at DPA, who is an unbelievably kind guy. He basically said that all cardioids should react the same to wind, which is to say badly if over 15mph. He said that really the only difference would be placement and angle. So have you always run super low?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com