Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A solo taper needs suggestions...  (Read 5570 times)

Offline macroint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
A solo taper needs suggestions...
« on: December 06, 2004, 01:31:51 PM »
Though not always, I am usually the only taper at the shows I go to...and I'm quickly realizing the benefits of having other tapers there to block. Went to a show this weekend (The Radiators) and frustration with those around me prompted me to pull my gear after the first set and leave. I spent half the time trying to keep feet from my gear and the other half watching and hoping that drinks wouldn't be spilled. It's funny, while putting my gear away between sets, one of the douchebags who kept crowding me came up and said "I really appreciate you taping this show." He mentioned that he belonged to group (maybe the Live Music Archive, something like that) and he really appreciates tapers. That's funny, considering he was doing everything in his power to take my spot...you'd think someone who's into shows (but not a taper) might be wise enough to help out a solo taper in need.

Maybe some of you have suggestions and tips for the solo taper? I always have a bar stool to block one side of my gear (a pelican case), but nothing to keep the other side clear...and when shows really get crowded, it's tough to even manage to keep that stool in place.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: A solo taper needs suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 01:35:03 PM »
crowded shows can be a bitch when your the only one there....I am probably solo half the time I tape, and the best suggestion I can give you is to get there when the doors open, find a spot that is the least intrusive while still good to tape from and set up.  I also make an effort before the show starts to talk to those around me, tell them I am taping, give them my card, and ask if they can provide any help in keeping people away from the gear I would appreciate it.  Works most of the time, and in return, I will burn them freebies...

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 01:39:47 PM »
man, i am one of the only active tapers here in albuquerque.  there are some other guys who have the fancy stands here in town, and i feel real sorry for them when they actually get out and set it all up (which is very rare)....  if i were you, i would thnk about making your rig more portable, e.g. stick the mics through the collar or something, that is what i do...
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 01:40:34 PM »
get your gear out of a pelican case and into a bag that you can run closed up... you'll take up a lot less space too.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 01:42:27 PM »
man, i am one of the only active tapers here in albuquerque.  there are some other guys who have the fancy stands here in town, and i feel real sorry for them when they actually get out and set it all up (which is very rare)....  if i were you, i would thnk about making your rig more portable, e.g. stick the mics through the collar or something, that is what i do...

This is what I am doing.

The other positive to this is you can almost always get in the best spot in the venue, sonicly speaking (as long as its GA and you get there early enuf)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:49:14 PM »
6mil clear plastic sheeting to protect from beer baths.

yep
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 03:17:46 PM »
A taser always comes in handy. ;)

Good call from Nick on handing out the cards and explaining the situation, though if you're there early enough, enough people usually ask what's going on that you don't have to recruit blockers. And the best part is, nobody ever emails you after the show, so no worries about filling dozens of B&P's! ;)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 03:39:20 PM »
And the best part is, nobody ever emails you after the show, so no worries about filling dozens of B&P's! ;)

aint that the truth...I hand out a few hunder cards a year and get maybe 50 b&p requests from those I gave cards too

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 03:55:39 PM »
take some duct tape and tape a square around you.  funny how well it works.  when people get too close point to the square- they think you are official.

Offline Govt Mule

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 03:58:21 PM »
I wil often chose a spot that a comprimise between good sound and safe for my gear. Although I almost always go toward the good sound. That any I have a bag the closes when I am up and running.

Picking a spot is an art form.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 04:06:15 PM »
crowded shows can be a bitch when your the only one there....I am probably solo half the time I tape, and the best suggestion I can give you is to get there when the doors open, find a spot that is the least intrusive while still good to tape from and set up.  I also make an effort before the show starts to talk to those around me, tell them I am taping, give them my card, and ask if they can provide any help in keeping people away from the gear I would appreciate it.  Works most of the time, and in return, I will burn them freebies...

As someone who runs solo 99% of the time, I can tell you that this is some sound advice. Never underestimate the power of early allegances in a pre-show setting.  :)

Curious, though...you were the ONLY taper at a Rads gig? Kenny's board patch usually draws tapers like moths to a Coleman lantern...
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 04:07:11 PM »
don't be afraid to tap people on the shoulder and give ugly looks, after pointing towards your bag.  or you can tape a flashlight to the stand to help people see your gear. 

i like the tape square suggestion, while everyone would laugh at it's simplicity, it is brilliant!!

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »
don't be afraid to tap people on the shoulder and give ugly looks, after pointing towards your bag.  or you can tape a flashlight to the stand to help people see your gear. 

i like the tape square suggestion, while everyone would laugh at it's simplicity, it is brilliant!!

you have no idea how well it works.

Offline timP

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 04:35:25 PM »
hangin there Jeff..

suks a fat one that the best place to tape from at the funk box is right where the whole club wants to stand...

you might want to put/clamp your mics where you usually do, then run your cables over to the left or around the corner.... I borrowed a set of 30' cables once an ran my UA5/JB3 way around by the FOH mixing board... nobody stands over there...
just get there early and run yr cables around on that ledge until you are away out of the mix
anyway, this would let you chill and enjoy the show..
and like Tim says, maybe get a bag you can zip up and protect form the spills
?>FR2LE

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 04:59:38 PM »
take some duct tape and tape a square around you.  funny how well it works.  when people get too close point to the square- they think you are official.

i was just going to post something along these same lines.  when you are the only taper, saying that you are the "house archivist" usually keeps the stupid fockers away from you.  or if you have a t-shirt of the band you are taping they think you are a part of their crew and are recording for the band. the second they figure out you are a hobby taper, taping for yourself is when their care for your space and what are doing diminishes to nothing.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 05:47:04 PM »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 06:56:02 PM »

http://www.beststungun.com/mini-stun-gun.html

HAHAHAHAHA!  (Evil laugh)

T

Nice, only 20 bucks.   And I live in a state where it isn't illegal, yay ;p
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 08:57:13 PM »
Curious, though...you were the ONLY taper at a Rads gig? Kenny's board patch usually draws tapers like moths to a Coleman lantern...

I said most shows I'm alone...oddly enough, all the other tapers and patchers were downstairs.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 09:46:57 PM »

i was just going to post something along these same lines.  when you are the only taper, saying that you are the "house archivist" usually keeps the stupid fockers away from you.  or if you have a t-shirt of the band you are taping they think you are a part of their crew and are recording for the band. the second they figure out you are a hobby taper, taping for yourself is when their care for your space and what are doing diminishes to nothing.
If you wanna do the "house archivist" route, go full-bore and look the part - flashlight, Leatherman holster, black shirt or "crew/staff" shirt, walkie-talkie (even better if you've got one with a mouthpiece that you can clip up near your shoulder), lanyard with laminates...go nuts.

That stun-gun looks frighteningly easy to activate. With the amount of crap your average woman carries in her purse, that thing would go off WAY too easily with just a rocker switch on it!
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com