Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: a lil prob (post recording)  (Read 2567 times)

Offline kabubbies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
a lil prob (post recording)
« on: January 12, 2005, 12:56:46 PM »
ok so im new to the whole tapin thing

one of my buddies got a sbd recording for a recent show at the 930 club in DC, (kenin if your interested, legit with band and venue)

at anyrate the recording came out ok, but there is a loud annoying crackle through out the entire show 

im trying to get rid of it, I have sony sound forge 7.0 but not sure exactly what i wnat to do at this point 

if anyone has any experience in trying to help get rid or at least turn down the crackle it would be great

if you help, i will gladly send the new promo pack for kenin, i have a few of em

here is a sample file http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...36B97E5FA472865

some questions that have been asked at other fourms where i was seeking help

what type of cables?
> line out (phone)

preamp and or a/d converter involved?
> No

what device (minidisnc, jb3, dat) was used to capture the recording?
> Laptop

so at anyrate, if you can help either post back or email me,

thanks yall 

keith
kabubbies@comcast.net
db.etree.org/kabubbies

cleantone

Re: a lil prob (post recording)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:21:12 PM »
That link doesn't work. I'd have to hear it to guess the cause. Could be dirty pots on the console, couls be overloading. If it's happening during the music performance there probably isn't too much you can do to get rid of it. Again I'd have to hear it to know for sure.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 01:24:01 PM »
are the "crackles" really on the recording, or is it just from playing back the files from your computer?  can you see them with a wav editor?

What input device (soundcard, etc) did you use with the laptop?  Recording software?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:28:59 PM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline kabubbies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 01:55:33 PM »
http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36SV0SZ1B39TR2TVDRGUTT1UGN

heres a new link

im not as much concerned as getting rid of it as just trying to lower the levels

craig T, ill have answers for you shortly

Offline kabubbies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 02:24:30 PM »
are the "crackles" really on the recording, or is it just from playing back the files from your computer?  can you see them with a wav editor?

What input device (soundcard, etc) did you use with the laptop?  Recording software?

ESS Maestro 3 .... Roxio Audio Editor

thats what she says

hexyjones

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 02:27:55 PM »
See if you have any luck with the soundforge Vinyl Restoration Tools...

cleantone

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
I never heard anything like that.  :o It is over the entire length of the recording like that? I assume it's on the origional recording?

All you can really do it work with some EQ or multiband compression. But this thing sounds like it has a lot or frequency range taken up in the sound. I don't think your gonna get much of a result.

I don't knwo what you have at your diposal but if you have a noise reduction that samples a sound to take out you can try to work with it. Try to find a spot on the recording that is purely the noise, sample that and play with threshold and reduction settings. The probelm is that that noise has alot of frequencies in it and they will be taken out from the parts you want to keep too.

Keep us posted I guess. Good luck.

I'd worry more about figuring out why it happened and preventing it from happening again.

Offline kabubbies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 02:44:10 PM »
ill see what i can do

thanks for all your help

yea its like that with the entire recording

keith

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 05:36:41 PM »

ESS Maestro 3 .... Roxio Audio Editor

thats what she says

You sure?  That's a PCI soundcard and you said the recording was done with a laptop.  Laptops don't have PCI slots, do they?  Regardless of the card, make sure you're using the latest driver.

I'd try a more "robust" recording application.  I assume that Roxio program is pretty low end consumer type (I only know Roxio from cd/dvd burning software), and I wouldn't trust it to do master recordings.

Sorry I can't help you with the noise on your recording, but I think it may have been caused by your hardware (soundcard) and/or recording software.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com