Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744 question????  (Read 3122 times)

Offline phishy12

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
744 question????
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:31:27 PM »
okay, so i ran schoeps mk21>portico>line in to the 744 on channels 1+2 plus schoeps mk4v's>sonosax>744 on channels 3+4. when i went to matrix the 2 sources together in wavelab the bass was missing, so i knew i had a phase issue. i inverted the phase on the mk21 source and it now sounds fine. my question is how did one of these sources get out of phase from the other?? also does it matter which one i inverted the phase on?? i had the 744 set to auto select for the input source on 1+2 as well as 3+4. i have run mic in on channels 1+2 and line in on 3+4 and never had this problem before???

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: 744 question????
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:43:26 PM »
okay, so i ran schoeps mk21>portico>line in to the 744 on channels 1+2 plus schoeps mk4v's>sonosax>744 on channels 3+4. when i went to matrix the 2 sources together in wavelab the bass was missing, so i knew i had a phase issue. i inverted the phase on the mk21 source and it now sounds fine. my question is how did one of these sources get out of phase from the other?? also does it matter which one i inverted the phase on?? i had the 744 set to auto select for the input source on 1+2 as well as 3+4. i have run mic in on channels 1+2 and line in on 3+4 and never had this problem before???

maybe the portico has phase reversals ???

def weird
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
I've not had any phase issues with the 744t when running line in.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:56:59 PM »
Where were the mic placed in relation to one another?
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline phishy12

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »
both sets of mics were on the same stand. the mk21's were on a NOS kwon bar and the 4v's were on an schoeps ORTF bar backwards. they were only about 6 inches apart top to bottom.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 10:00:39 PM »
both sets of mics were on the same stand. the mk21's were on a NOS kwon bar and the 4v's were on an schoeps ORTF bar backwards. they were only about 6 inches apart top to bottom.

forget top to bottom, how far apart were they horizontally? you said one was facing front and one rear right? phase is a function of the time it takes a wave to reach a particular destination. you just happend to be a little funky with your placement. fixed it in post though, so no biggie.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 01:06:31 AM »

forget top to bottom, how far apart were they horizontally? you said one was facing front and one rear right?

4v's are supposed to face backwards.  that's how they go.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 07:59:26 AM »

forget top to bottom, how far apart were they horizontally? you said one was facing front and one rear right?

4v's are supposed to face backwards.  that's how they go.

which is fine, but it's still adding distance between the diaphragms.

Offline phishy12

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:58:42 PM »
how much of a horizontal distance will it take to cause them to be out of phase with one another?? because even with the 4v's backwards there prollly was only an inch at most between the 2 sets of caps on a horizontal plane. also i inverted the mk21's in post. does it matter which one i chose to invert the phase on??

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:32:05 AM »
how much of a horizontal distance will it take to cause them to be out of phase with one another?? because even with the 4v's backwards there prollly was only an inch at most between the 2 sets of caps on a horizontal plane. also i inverted the mk21's in post. does it matter which one i chose to invert the phase on??

I wouldn't think an inch would make that much of a difference. Like Bean said, many the switches were flipped on the Portico. Typicall in the studio when close micing an instrument a matter of an inch one way or another can mess with your phase though. It doesn't matter which you flip. Somebody might disagree with me and bring up the matter of absolute polarity at the speakers, but for ambient taping I think you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference.
-s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com