Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A complete novice seeking advice!  (Read 9335 times)

Offline ritchietom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
A complete novice seeking advice!
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:30:39 PM »
Hi,
I'm completely new to this forum and to the topics the forum covers.
A "friend" met on the web suggested this forum to find information about mics, taping, etc.
As I said I'm a complete novice and that's why I need some help.
I'm turning 40 this year and together with a few mates of mine we have planned to go to NYC to see The Police live in concert to celebrate in a very special way.
We thought that to make it more than a great occasion to remember we should try to tape the concert and keep it together with our memories of the 2007. Our children may one day appreciate it. ;-)
I have no idea what sort of taping system I should get and more to the point we thought we could collect some $$ between us and buy something that will be able to tape satisfactorily.
We are not looking for super duper very high quality taping but something that we could play back in a few years time remembering that fantastic 40th birthday without too much pain for our ears ;-)
Furthermore I don't really want to spend $$ if there will be a definite risk of having the taping gear confiscated at the Madison Sq. Garden entrance. :-\

I will be more than grateful if somebody could spare a few minutes to answer this .

Thanking you in advace

Regards,

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: A complete novice seeking advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »
Welcome to TS.com. :)

If you're looking to get into the hobby for the long term, the FAQs are a good place to start - various options are available for almost any budget. But to be perfectly honest, if your first try is going to be the Police at MSG, I might skip it and just enjoy the show with your friends. Seems like an awfully tall task for even an experienced taper. That said, chances are good someone will get a decent recording of the show and there's much less effort involved in grabbing a copy later. I hate to steer anyone away from taping but it sounds like this is much more than just a concert - you don't want to spend time worrying about screwing something up if you've never done it before and ruining the rest of your experience...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »
Hi,
I'm completely new to this forum and to the topics the forum covers.
A "friend" met on the web suggested this forum to find information about mics, taping, etc.
As I said I'm a complete novice and that's why I need some help.
I'm turning 40 this year and together with a few mates of mine we have planned to go to NYC to see The Police live in concert to celebrate in a very special way.
We thought that to make it more than a great occasion to remember we should try to tape the concert and keep it together with our memories of the 2007. Our children may one day appreciate it. ;-)
I have no idea what sort of taping system I should get and more to the point we thought we could collect some $$ between us and buy something that will be able to tape satisfactorily.
We are not looking for super duper very high quality taping but something that we could play back in a few years time remembering that fantastic 40th birthday without too much pain for our ears ;-)
Furthermore I don't really want to spend $$ if there will be a definite risk of having the taping gear confiscated at the Madison Sq. Garden entrance. :-\

I will be more than grateful if somebody could spare a few minutes to answer this .

Thanking you in advace

Regards,

I agree with Greenone.  If you do still want to tape check out the "Where to begin...." section of this site.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,46.0.html

Good luck!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:36:44 PM »
If you want to record just one show (The Police), I would say don't do it.  Taping at a concert such at that will be a pain and you may not be able to enjoy the show like you want. 

And trust me, there will be people there taping the shows... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »
I agree with everyone here too. If you did record the show you would have to keep your head still because that is most likely where your mics will be placed on your head. Its not fun to sit and watch a concert and not be able to talk, move your head, Go to the bathroom, or drink anything.. Hummm sounds like good times to me :) You are better off finding a copy somewhere. Just don't pay for it the people in the taping community hate people that sell there recordings for profit.

If you do want to tape more then just this show by all means check out the sections here. But if not take our advice its not a cheap hobby the cheapest rig you could get with any kind of quality would be $350 Minimum and that is for a very basic system. There are people here who have spent much more then that on this little "hobby" I dont want to discourage you but, its like any hobby out there it costs money to get into it. Good luck let us know how it worked out.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline ritchietom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 02:38:52 PM »
Guys I am really overwhelmed and you don't know how much I appreciate your replies.
I thought I ask somebody that like you is in this "hobby" for a long time before getting into something that may ruin the whole experience.  :(
Better to forget about it and enjoy the show.
I am very glad I asked your opinion guys.
Keep up the good work. I'll be back whenever I'll need any advice in the future.
Thank you very much.

Cheers ;)

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:36:46 PM »
Guys I am really overwhelmed and you don't know how much I appreciate your replies.
I thought I ask somebody that like you is in this "hobby" for a long time before getting into something that may ruin the whole experience.  :(
Better to forget about it and enjoy the show.
I am very glad I asked your opinion guys.
Keep up the good work. I'll be back whenever I'll need any advice in the future.
Thank you very much.

Cheers ;)

You could buy a rig, put it on someone else and have them suffer  >:D

But if you want to try this hobby out, you should buy an MD recorder [very cheap] and mics / preamps from Sound Pros and  Church Audio - Never owned a rig from CA, but heard great recordings made by the equipment, and he's one of the nicest fellows around.

After you get a rig together, test out at a concert with minimal security - local bar show, or semi-popular band.

:)

*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »
Aw heck.  You've got to start somewhere.  Go for it.  Just about everyone's first show is something that they cared about.  And you'll definitely enjoy having the recording as a keepsake, even with any warts and newbie mistakes that might be involved.  It's rare that you get complete garbage your first time out.  And until you go for the first time out, you'll never go for the second or third or .... you get the picture.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »
yeah, spend approx $500 on the R-9, MT or H4 zoom (i think). then a battery box and mics. Chris Church sell battery box and mics. I would and did, its only money. there's always another day to make more $. may not be another show that you can get a recording of. however MSG, i don't know about. But I could have got alot stuff in at the UC in chicago for pearl jam last year. my .02.  good luck!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:56:56 PM by hawghunter »
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

Offline ritchietom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »
I see and understand your point SparkE and you're right I've got to start somewhere and it would be a fantastic memory for our 40th. Nevertheless I'm not sure the guys will want to dig out $500 or more for something that may get confiscated. We thought that nowdays technology could have offered the opportunity to obtain a small/compact taping system for us to take into the MSG without problem providing a decent/not earsbleeding recording of the concert. :-\

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 10:35:01 AM »
I see and understand your point SparkE and you're right I've got to start somewhere and it would be a fantastic memory for our 40th. Nevertheless I'm not sure the guys will want to dig out $500 or more for something that may get confiscated. We thought that nowdays technology could have offered the opportunity to obtain a small/compact taping system for us to take into the MSG without problem providing a decent/not earsbleeding recording of the concert. :-\

The Edirol R09 can do what you want, and can be disguised as a cell-phone.  Place in your breast pocket, and enjoy. 

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ritchietom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 10:41:21 AM »
Really? Is it very expensive? Because of me being in NYC 1 or 2 day b4 the concert, would you know any place in NYC where I could go and check it out?
Thx twatts

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »
Check out B&H Photo in the city.  Nerd's heaven.  The R-09 will run you around $400.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 12:03:36 PM »
Check out B&H Photo in the city.  Nerd's heaven.  The R-09 will run you around $400.

And its within a few blocks of MSG, 420 9th Ave.  Cool Place!
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
ebay has a few for a bit cheaper, $350... i haven't gotten a recording devince off ebay before but it looks legit.  heres a few of them or check out the yard sale forum
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=edirol+r-09&category0=
most of them say NIB so it'd be like getting it at a store, except 50 bucks cheaper.
good luck +T
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.204 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com