Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A complete novice seeking advice!  (Read 9334 times)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: A complete novice seeking advice!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »
However, just a question, but I'm curious why this forum doesn't argue for tapers rights?  I don't necessarily know the details of the laws, and I'm sure it's been discussed before so let me know if there's a FAQ addressing this issue, but isn't banning discussions of stealth recording kinda admitting defeat when it comes to the issue of live taping? 

Maybe I've been in the dark, but I've never heard or read anywhere where grabbing a live recording at a concert has been proven to violate any copyright laws until a material loss or damange is established on the part of the copyright owner.  To my knowledge that's NEVER happened in any court in any country.  I thought that the reason we didn't openly tape bands that don't allow taping is simply out of respect for their wishes, but not as a legal requirement. 

The federal law does not require intent of profit or copyright violation, but states may have different laws or none at all. See http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,23206.0.html for the federal and state laws I was able to find.

And while you're in that section, check out Brian Skalinder's post entitled "stealth: tips on sneaking gear inside". ;D
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 01:47:31 PM »
I thought that the reason we didn't openly tape bands that don't allow taping is simply out of respect for their wishes, but not as a legal requirement. 

The federal law does not require intent of profit or copyright violation, but states may have different laws or none at all. See http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,23206.0.html for the federal and state laws I was able to find.

And while you're in that section, check out Brian Skalinder's post entitled "stealth: tips on sneaking gear inside". ;D

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me.  It's quite obvious that I was mostly wrong with my statement that is quoted above.  It looks like the best advice is to know the law in the state that you are recording in and proceed accordingly, knowing that you are proceeding at your own risk if you are not in full compliance with the laws of that state.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »
No prob. The good news is that in New York you have the option of leaving AND getting your money back if they bust you taping...but you'd miss the rest of the show.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
Stevetoney, I am absolutely for the sharing of information.

However, as Moke points out:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,71854.0.html

OK, I sent Moke a PM...I'll take my posts down or PM them directly to the guy if he wants me to, which it sounds like he will.  No big deal.

There may well be people watching what we do, and any info that gives venues / management tips how to look for stealthers should, in my opinion, be deleted after a day or two.

OK, I understand.  The very last thing on earth I'd ever want is to spoil the party for anyone.

As regards rights, I like your arguments, but I believe there was a trader (I think in Scandinavia) arrested just for trading live shows. I don't any more details though.

There's a general misconception worldwide and I think there will always be isolated incidents that challenge our rights...but does that mean we're wrong? 

Regarding individual incidents, details would be nice so they can be put into the right context.  Regarding the arrest you mention, immediate questions make you wonder if the live shows had been commercially released (did they compete with instantlive for example)  What was he trading for? (drugs, gasoline, something for profit).  I wonder if he was convicted of anything. 

I don't know if this is the same case to which you are referring, but I believe an Alanis Morisette fan got busted for trading - not selling - recordings, even of commercially unreleased shows.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 12:52:48 AM »
Beware, taping is addictive.  Anyone here will tell you that.  But most of all have fun!
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline ritchietom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 04:08:54 AM »
As suggested by many I am here currently searching and making sure I will know the rules about taping to avoid being kicked out from the venues. Once that's out of the way I will feel better.
Speak to you soon.

Offline GirthCoquer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »
Please pm me your email address; I still have a copy of the "stealth tapers guide" which I started work on 2 years ago and never finished.

Contributions welcome, but off-board.

Edit: email address found, and sent.

Had problems PMing for some reason. Any chance you can send me a copy of this?

-Jeremy
mrfalcon1@hotmail.com

sml42

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 07:38:39 PM »

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
The security at the Garden is somewhat tight. They are not looking for tape equipment but are more interested in weapons and beverages (booze and such)

If you have a bag, most likely they will ask you to open it up and they will poke through it.

They do have wands but randomly pick people.

It all depends on where you sit, but security presence in the Garden is pretty noticeable but they are looking for people who smoke or stand in the aisle.

IMO - doing a stealth job on your first taping is kind of a drag. Enjoy the show and download it later!

Offline J

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 10:44:49 PM »
PM seems to be having some issues at the moment...  Any chance you could email me the guide as well?  Thanks in advance for the help!

-J

theziggens<at>gmail<dot>com
True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com