Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: About how much money does it cost to get quality equipment?  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Salva Veritate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
About how much money does it cost to get quality equipment?
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »
I'm thinking of getting into taping next year but I'm notoriously frugal with funds. I'm talking either audio recording or video.

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
Re: About how much money does it cost to get quality equipment?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:49:51 AM »
I'm thinking of getting into taping next year but I'm notoriously frugal with funds. I'm talking either audio recording or video.

Lots, or as much as you can spare.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:51:10 AM »
Totally loaded question - how much are you willing/able to spend?

Quality is also objective. There are great tapes pulled with a couple hundred dollars in gear, and great tapes made with rigs costing $10,000.

Are there any particular mics or gear you've found you like?
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:33:46 PM »
^^^^  They are all correct.  The sky is the limit.  The new Thuresson mics at ~US$3,000 apiece are supposed to be really nice.  And you can get a good recording with gear that cost a lot less.  However, with the good gear you will get more good recordings.  I have just recently made the jump to good gear I can tell you that the musicians I have recorded all noticed the difference right away.  I was pleased; they were, too.  And I am getting commissions to record these guys now.  I was not getting them before. I may get my gear paid for. 

If I were you I would get an inexpensive set, for less than US$500 new, and try it out.  If you do not like it you can sell it and get most of your money back.  If you like it you can go out and spend the big bucks being sure you are heading in the right direction.  YMMV
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »
I've got about $700-$800 tied up in my rig.

An Edirol R-09 (and yeah, I bought the over priced case, but it's nice)
A 4gb SDHC card
Church Audio ST-11 cardoid mics and STC-9000 preamp
a 9-Foot tall Dynatran stand
A 15-foot Canare 1/8-inch extension cable
A 1-foot Cardas right angle male 1/8-inch to 1/8-inch cable for pre to R-09
Some misc items: a tiny led flashlight, cable ties (velcro), several rechargeable batteries, a few pieces of PVC for a DIY mic mount.

I can't tell you anything about recordings, 'cause I've only taped with the R-09 since the I only received the mics recently and haven't taped anything since then. But you can get what I have used for a lot less and go from there. rWc3523 8)
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:50:36 PM »
I bought nearly everything on eBay, and this is what I paid:

JM-27 mics: $100
Edirol UA-5: $130
iRiver ihp-120: $50 (sweet deal, it had a broken screen, got a new one for $15 extra)
Battery: $50 (Best Buy :P)
Cables: $25
Stand: $15

I did my own digi-mod on the UA-5, and my own cable splicing to get my battery to work. I had all the accessories laying around like a flashlight and gaffer's tape. My total is about $385, which will be a good rig for a while. I was also on a budget because I'm in school. You can search the Archive and other sites, and sample different set-ups to see what sounds good to you for what price.

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:27:45 PM »
This is about how much I have invested in my first rig:

Marantz PMD 671 Oade Basic Concert mod...  $1,100.00
KindKables 12' 85.00
Rode NT-4 stereo mic  $450.00
shock mount $75.00
mic stand $40.00
Marantz rechargable battery $100.00
rechargable batteries  (Enloop) and charger (maha)$100.00
LowePro Nova 4 AW bag $70.00
CF cards $200.00

mics stuff....flashlight, velcro straps, pad & pen, etc......

Though I do not have any other rig to base my experience on, for my first set up I will have to say that I am pleased with the results so far....I have recorded indoors at clubs, out doors and covered outdoor venues and all have come out nice.  The Marantz is a very well equiped piece of recording equipment with a lot of features, some of which I have yet to play around with, but now that I have gotten my feet wet so to speak, I will try recording using higher rates....

Hope some of this gives you an idea at what is available in the $2k range, but beware, even at $2k, I have caught the bug, and have looked at improving my mics!  Proceed with caution!
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »
another stuff people must know in order to help you:

open or stealth?

you plan on recording loud or more quiet shows?

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »
Thanks Moke, To be completely honest, most of my purchases (recorder, mics, stand, cable choice) were based on advice I got on TS. And like others, most of it was bought on eBay or from retailers recommended on TS. I still need a better bag 'cause I'm using my old camera bag, but I don't use my Nikon 35mm SLR much anymore! What I have will allow me to record the local bands and maybe have some fun out of town. And it didn't break me. Most of the money came from selling old late 1960s Hot Wheels and comic books on eBay! ;D Really!  ;)

rWc3523 8)
Edirol UA-5

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »
I've got about $700-$800 tied up in my rig.

An Edirol R-09 (and yeah, I bought the over priced case, but it's nice)
A 4gb SDHC card
Church Audio ST-11 cardoid mics and STC-9000 preamp
a 9-Foot tall Dynatran stand
A 15-foot Canare 1/8-inch extension cable
A 1-foot Cardas right angle male 1/8-inch to 1/8-inch cable for pre to R-09
Some misc items: a tiny led flashlight, cable ties (velcro), several rechargeable batteries, a few pieces of PVC for a DIY mic mount.

I can't tell you anything about recordings, 'cause I've only taped with the R-09 since the I only received the mics recently and haven't taped anything since then. But you can get what I have used for a lot less and go from there. rWc3523 8)

I would just get an Edirol R09, a set of Church's cards + battery box (no preamp, just the battery box).  That's it.  You can clip the mics onto a your hat, clip them to a piece of plastic and tape that up somewhere, hang from the ceiling or whatever.

Record everything: shows, weddings, walking your dog, lectures, eating dinner.  Or just tape yourself watching TV.  Whatever, just get a feel for how things sound.

Oh yeah, get yourself a set of Sony 7506 headphones ($100US).  Then listen to everything you record and see what you like.

Have fun!
  Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 08:57:48 PM »
Yeah, I'll be using my R-09 to record interviews, etc., for work. Definitely a bonus. rWc3523 8)
Edirol UA-5

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »
" Speed is only a matter of money....How fast do you want to spend ? "

Recording is kind of the same thing  ;D ;D ;D

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 11:04:25 PM »
I figure and tell people that the buyin for the hobby is 1300-1500. I spent another 300 whan I thought I was there and had "everything". all that said it could be less with careful and lucky purcheses or more if'n you cruise the yardsale daily.  ;D
Check you wallet at the door.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Salva Veritate

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the help guys! Like I said, I'm really frugal with money. I'm looking for some low cost gems that really do the job (analogous to my $20 headphones that have better sound that Apple's $40 headphones). To answer some questions here I plan on recording mostly loud shows, so I guess clipping is an issue for some.

jonohull, your rig looks to be on the low end on the price range. How's the sound quality?

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 02:03:09 AM »
I just got the final pieces in the last few days, and haven't had any chance to test them in a concert setting, or at all even. Here is a show recorded with the same set-up, although this one has the Busman mod on the UA-5: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=507322.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com