Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R0DE NT5 Matched Pair - Your Opinion  (Read 18222 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: R0DE NT5 Matched Pair - Your Opinion
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 11:17:41 PM »
But if you have more disposable income, there certainly are "better" microphones to be had.

Yes and no. :)

Yes there are better mics than a pair of NT5s or NT4.

But the NT4/5's are of professional quality, quiet, and make excellent recordings. More money buys different sonic character (which is a matter of personal preference), not necessarily better technical 'quality' of the sound. Of course no mic can record everything equally well, no matter what price bracket it is in.

Mics like wine, are best judged blind.

digifish

cant quantify "better"....but they are definitely professional tools. Some may not like the flavor(and maybe there are those that cannot get good results due to their own shortcomings as a sound-recordist, not because of any issues with the microphones), but that doesnt mean much.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 11:29:25 PM »
I speak as an NT5 owner. I have used them in many locations and the only way they have ever sounded good is as instrument micing and drum overheads. I bought a matched pair of NT5's in 2003. I have taped approx 400 shows with them.

Just trying to help by giving my experiences as an owner of the mics.

peace...cm

edit:
I love Rode mics. I have owned a pair of NT2's for 7 years and I like them more than the shcoeps.

edit edit:
I can post some 24bit samples if needed
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:45:13 AM by Charlie Miller »
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 01:19:15 AM »

That could be most helpful, Charlie. What recording device/preamps/etc. do you use with your NT5's?

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
I speak as an NT5 owner. I have used them in many locations

my only issue with what you said is the statement "they are not made for audio recording"...or something to that effect, when that is exactly what they were designed for...it potentially steers someone from what may be the best mic they ever hear. to the OP, if you buy them and dont like them, I will buy them for whatever you paid for them from you.. I want a pair anyway.

Teddy

Offline Sheed

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »
i say get the NT6 and you have some economic actives, actives are all the rage on TS  ;)

FWIW Terry Manning likes rode mics too.  http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/7346/0/32/17411/

"Let me elucidate further for the purposes of clarification. I am tiring of posts regarding Rode microphones, and of being associated with being a "mouthpiece" for them. But it is important that my words explain the enormity of the awakening I had regarding the brand.

Before December of 2004, I hated Rode mics (not having ever used one of course). I had no idea at all where they were made, what the people involved were like, or what their goals were. I had publicly derided Rode in the same breath as several other "non-standard" microphone brands.

I was virtually forced against my will and better judgement to use MANY of their mics on a project while tracking in Australia, and I was completely taken by surprise when they worked just fine at a professional level. That actually made me feel bad about how I had previously felt, and what I had previously said. That is why I made the post on the Compass Point Studios website.

While on that same Australian four month trip, and after successfully using the microphones and commenting about them to the studio owner and manager, Rode invited me to visit their factory. I had not even known that the mics were made there...that's how oblivious I was to the brand. I made that factory trip, and met the people involved. I was very impressed. This was not a company outsourcing products from China or other places, just marketing someone else's product under their brand name. This was a dedicated group of music loving (and playing, in many cases) people who genuinely cared about music and their product's quality. Vintage Neumann and AKG mics were sitting in their test room for comparison. They wanted to know exactly what I thought about their mics, both good and bad, in the hopes of continually improving them. The factory was state of the art, and had cost well over $25 million to build. They made their own capsules (I saw it), made their own bodies, electronics, grilles, everything. Their goal was to make the very best product at any price, but to also make it in quantities which made the cost of the final product as affordable as possible. This is a new business model borne of the computer revolution's opening up of the marketplace into the home and garage. This attempt at pricing structure was never possible before. But the goal was, and is, to make the best product they possibly could to serve the music. And of course, at the end of the day, to make money with a successful business. Why else would they invest so much to begin with?"
I love you like a fat kid love cake

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 12:56:51 PM »
i say get the NT6 and you have some economic actives, actives are all the rage on TS  ;)

Those are the ones Mr. Faulkner says he loves.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »

FWIW Terry Manning likes rode mics too.  http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/7346/0/32/17411/

"Let me elucidate further for the purposes of clarification. I am tiring of posts regarding Rode microphones, and of being associated with being a "mouthpiece" for them. But it is important that my words explain the enormity of the awakening I had regarding the brand.

Before December of 2004, I hated Rode mics (not having ever used one of course). I had no idea at all where they were made, what the people involved were like, or what their goals were. I had publicly derided Rode in the same breath as several other "non-standard" microphone brands.

I was virtually forced against my will and better judgement to use MANY of their mics on a project while tracking in Australia, and I was completely taken by surprise when they worked just fine at a professional level. That actually made me feel bad about how I had previously felt, and what I had previously said. That is why I made the post on the Compass Point Studios website.

While on that same Australian four month trip, and after successfully using the microphones and commenting about them to the studio owner and manager, Rode invited me to visit their factory. I had not even known that the mics were made there...that's how oblivious I was to the brand. I made that factory trip, and met the people involved. I was very impressed. This was not a company outsourcing products from China or other places, just marketing someone else's product under their brand name. This was a dedicated group of music loving (and playing, in many cases) people who genuinely cared about music and their product's quality. Vintage Neumann and AKG mics were sitting in their test room for comparison. They wanted to know exactly what I thought about their mics, both good and bad, in the hopes of continually improving them. The factory was state of the art, and had cost well over $25 million to build. They made their own capsules (I saw it), made their own bodies, electronics, grilles, everything. Their goal was to make the very best product at any price, but to also make it in quantities which made the cost of the final product as affordable as possible. This is a new business model borne of the computer revolution's opening up of the marketplace into the home and garage. This attempt at pricing structure was never possible before. But the goal was, and is, to make the best product they possibly could to serve the music. And of course, at the end of the day, to make money with a successful business. Why else would they invest so much to begin with?"

I knew they manufactured the mics, but I thought the capsules were made in China.  If they are really made (or at least "skinned") in Australia, that is great news.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 06:39:12 PM »

That could be most helpful, Charlie. What recording device/preamps/etc. do you use with your NT5's?

I was using a presonus digimax96 > alesis HD24.

I left for a month on the road and will be home late may. I'll post samples then. sorry I couldn't get them out sooner.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:41:22 PM by Charlie Miller »

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
I speak as an NT5 owner. I have used them in many locations

my only issue with what you said is the statement "they are not made for audio recording"...or something to that effect, when that is exactly what they were designed for...it potentially steers someone from what may be the best mic they ever hear. to the OP, if you buy them and dont like them, I will buy them for whatever you paid for them from you.. I want a pair anyway.

Teddy

What I meant (and so poorly stated) was that they are not good mics for audience taping. They are killer mics for instrument recording though. keep in mind, this is just my opinion.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 07:13:46 PM »

I knew they manufactured the mics, but I thought the capsules were made in China.  If they are really made (or at least "skinned") in Australia, that is great news.

Richard

They are 100% Australian made...you can see the videos on their site.

http://www.rodemic.com/history.php

...or used to be able to see them :) I'll see if I can track the promo-video down...

On the other hand, Chinese manufacturing is now amongst the most advanced in the world. The interesting thing about China is that they can make equipment to any quality specification you care to name. From chip fabrication to plastic spoons, they do it all, and do it cheaply. A lot of high-end gear is manufactured there. If anyone has a prejudice against China, it's just the prejudice against Japan all over again.

http://www.myspace.com/rodemic

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
gotta say, this thread title keeps throwing me. at a quick glance I keep seeing - RODENTS

;D +T
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »
Rode Factory video found...

Click here to download the video 11 Meg (.wmv format).

I spoke to them yesterday, they will have a new video up soon. More detail of their latest Aus manufacturing facility.

digifish.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:36:22 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »

It did look like the "kitten" was the right size to fit over the boxy foam that Rode includes with the mic. Thanks to your comment, I did a little digging (and listened to some of your "walk around" recordings) and a blimp really does sound (literally) like a good solution to wind noise.

I spoke to Rode today, they updated the dead-kitten section to mention the NT4 (with foam).

http://www.rodemic.com/accessory.php?product=DeadKitten

digifish,
- What's this knob do?

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
I have always been curious about these mics.  However I never really like the frequency curve on them.  It drops off from 10k to 20k across a 10db range.  It may sound great micing a cabinet but for distance recording I am sure they would sound....dark.  But I see with the NT6 you can get a presence boosted card cap that has a curve like a 184.  I am sure it has a little more sizzle than the flat card, as rode calls it and being an active set up it would fit right into our needs as tapers.........mmmm

And Charlie, I have always loved the sound of your nt2's from back in the day.  That is one of my favorite sounding mics ever.  It always made me wonder why more people didn't use the nt2....

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

kirk97132

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »
Having had and gotten rid of a set of matched NT5's I thought the sound was a little too bright and thin for my personal tastes.  For the same money ended up with a set of ADK A51s mics...but then your are comparing a ld mic against a sd mic.  Not to mention the size difference. ymmv 8) kirk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com