Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RODE NT1-A --- Anybody working with these mics?  (Read 15027 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
RODE NT1-A --- Anybody working with these mics?
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:14:59 AM »
The RODE NT1-A has a pretty large following as you get a lot of bang for your buck.  At a little over USD200 for new that is a good price, they are quiet and sound good.  I wonder if there are any folks on the board who have done a lot of recording with these mics or who are experimenting with them.  Anybody?    ???
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: RODE NT1-A --- Anybody working with these mics?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:52:52 AM »
The RODE NT1-A has a pretty large following as you get a lot of bang for your buck.  At a little over USD200 for new that is a good price, they are quiet and sound good.  I wonder if there are any folks on the board who have done a lot of recording with these mics or who are experimenting with them.  Anybody?    ???

Me.

Caveats: No adjustment of pattern, no low frequency filtering, no pad switch. However good mic preamps take care of all but the pattern (that is fixed Cardioid as I am sure you know).

The NT1-A is the bargain of the century (IMO), it's a very, very quiet, clean (neutral) sounding and detailed mic. ~ 5 dB self noise. Excellent sensitivity. I'd throw an NT1-A at almost any source, but it works particularly well on vocals (male and female, particularly female). I dont take mine out of the studio much (they are a bit of a hand-full, particularly in pairs). However when you do take them into the field to record nature sounds, they sound great out there too...

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/NT1-A_index.htm

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/NT1-A-field-recordings.htm

What are you expecting to record?

This site has some excellent comparisons of NT1-A to a Neumann TLM 103.

SOS Review

User reviews @ Sweetwater

User reviews @ zZSounds

digifish 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:08:33 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline boojum

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »

Me.

Caveats: No adjustment of pattern, no low frequency filtering, no pad switch. However good mic preamps take care of all but the pattern (that is fixed Cardioid as I am sure you know).

No problem.  That's what post processing is all about.

The NT1-A is the bargain of the century (IMO), it's a very, very quiet, clean (neutral) sounding and detailed mic. ~ 5 dB self noise. Excellent sensitivity. I'd throw an NT1-A at almost any source, but it works particularly well on vocals (male and female, particularly female). I dont take mine out of the studio much (they are a bit of a hand-full, particularly in pairs). However when you do take them into the field to record nature sounds, they sound great out there too...

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/NT1-A_index.htm

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/NT1-A-field-recordings.htm

What are you expecting to record?

This site has some excellent comparisons of NT1-A to a Neumann TLM 103.

SOS Review

User reviews @ Sweetwater

User reviews @ zZSounds

digifish 

I have one I bought for USD150 and was thinking of one or two more just for remotes.  At their price they are good.  At way more than their price they are good.  And I would like another type of mic, just in case.  And, in a session the vocalist likes the idea of the "big mic" as opposed to an SDC which may be as good or better.  A lot is the psychology.  I know of the DIY site but not the others.  Thanks.  I will check them out.

How are your recordings going with them and how do you rate them against other LDC's and maybe SDC's???

Thx.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »

How are your recordings going with them and how do you rate them against other LDC's and maybe SDC's???

Thx.

L8R

I find the NT1-A to be a clean, quiet and relatively neutral sounding LDC. Compared to some of the more expensive (vintage?) mics it sounds crisper/brighter in the high frequency range. I think at least some of the apparent transparency in the high-frequencies is simply due to the low noise floor in the mic. For example it picks up mouth noises (clicks, lisps) with particular clarity.

A female vocalist I record occasionally gets a resonance on her vocal chords that sounds like a inter-modulation distortion, the NT1-A was picking this up so clearly I had to dual-mic her (on a completely separate signal chain) and convince myself it was not a preamp/mic distortion/fault. Using an AT3032 I could hear it there also but it was by no means as obvious. The NT1-A is like an endoscope on the vocal chords :) 

People who are used to a 'laid-back' (dark?) sound may find an NT1-A a little 'clinical' or 'brittle' on first listen, but it's easy to EQ a vocal back to something a little more subdued than it is to add air/clarity when you didn't record it in the first place and it's masked by hiss :)

BTW: Here is a nice site with lots of audio comparisons of LDC mics...

http://www.testrecordings.net/mic/index_en.html

No NT1-A in the list tho, but most of the other Rodes are.

digifish

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:45:31 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline boojum

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »
I have only used my NT1-A once, against a Schoeps CMC64 and while I did not listen closely to the session what I did hear sounded good.  I will have to drag the NT1-A along with me and see how it compares.  I was thinking two would be nice as overheads on a drumset.  Just an idea.

OK, L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:41:49 AM »
I am a newbie and just bought a pair of these RODE NT1-A's today on ebay before I discovered the Forum---seems I could have made a better choice---not used much by tapers it seems.  Anybody have a suggestion on how to get the best results from them or should I just be putting them back on ebay?   I'm planning to use with a Fostex FR2LE, but have not purchased it yet--trying to decide if I'm going stock or Oade mod version (or Busman Mod) before buying. (read the lengthy thread on the Busman mod--more confused than ever now on the relative value--wondering if the extra money is better spent instead on upgrading to a Tascam HD-P2???)  My intended use for the rig is primarily to record a musician friend in my living room and his live venues (primarily smaller bar settings).  It would be a 2 close mic set-up in my living room, one for vocals/harmonica and the other for acoustic guitar.  He has his own high quality expensive mics for this setting, but I might try the RODE's as a comparison.  The other live recording would likely be an "audience" recording in the bars using the matched pair of Rode NTIA's --he typically plays alone or with a bongo player in an an amplified setting.  These RODE's are going to be difficult to use in a crowded noisy bar????

Offline boojum

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:16:01 AM »
A noisy bar is a problem for any mic.  The NT-1-A is a card, so it does not hear all of what is behind it.  That is a plus.  Omni's are very sweet, but only in a good room.  They hear everything.  So, the NT-1-A's will look real pro up there.  They will offer up good recording.  They are just bulky as they are built with primarily studio use in mind.  If that is what you have, and you got a good price, use 'em.  They are great to learn with and you will not be out much if you break them or have them stolen.  In the interim you could be racking up some very good recordings.  As good as what can be gotten on your friends "expensive" mics.

The most important thing with mics is placement.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 03:41:34 AM »
I am a newbie and just bought a pair of these RODE NT1-A's today on ebay before I discovered the Forum---seems I could have made a better choice---not used much by tapers it seems.  Anybody have a suggestion on how to get the best results from them or should I just be putting them back on ebay?   I'm planning to use with a Fostex FR2LE, but have not purchased it yet--trying to decide if I'm going stock or Oade mod version (or Busman Mod) before buying. (read the lengthy thread on the Busman mod--more confused than ever now on the relative value--wondering if the extra money is better spent instead on upgrading to a Tascam HD-P2???)  My intended use for the rig is primarily to record a musician friend in my living room and his live venues (primarily smaller bar settings).  It would be a 2 close mic set-up in my living room, one for vocals/harmonica and the other for acoustic guitar.  He has his own high quality expensive mics for this setting, but I might try the RODE's as a comparison.  The other live recording would likely be an "audience" recording in the bars using the matched pair of Rode NTIA's --he typically plays alone or with a bongo player in an an amplified setting.  These RODE's are going to be difficult to use in a crowded noisy bar????

Please be an individual and don't follow this crowd :)

The NT1-A is a stellar mic, I have no doubt that you will be able to make excellent recordings using a pair of NT1-A's. They will shine in the living room and be no more or less difficult than any other large diaphragm cardioid condenser. Most people don't use LD condensers here (I assume) due to the added bulk and complexity when compared to small diaphragm (pencil) condensers. That's one of the things that stops me from dragging mine around the shrubbery...

Do not mod any recorder before knowing exactly what you want to change about the sound.

digifish
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:44:35 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am also new to forums, so feedback on whether this is the place to continue or, alternately, start a new thread would be welcome.  I suspect mixing subjects in not good protocol... 

Anyway, it is good to hear I bought something that is at least usable.  I paid a little over 200 bucks for a new matched pair, which seemed like a deal. Seems they are OK for my living room from the comments, but some small diaphragm (pencil) condensers will likely be in my future.

The vocal mic my friend used in my first recording attempt (that got me HOOKED) I think was a Neumann U87--don't recall what we used to mic his acoustic guitar.  Since this is a RODE NT1A thread, I'll try to contribute by doing an A/B of the RODE pair vs. his fancy mics and post the results.  I have been considering the Edirol R-44 as well as the previously mentioned FS2LE--a 4 channel recorder like the R-44 would be perfect for this comparison (?)  Not sure if a musician would like to play into 2 sets of mics at once---is that the best way to do an A/B test? 

I suspect that a rude awakening is in store for me when doing my first live bar recording.  The good results in my living room with his road mixer preamps just feeding my laptop aux input probably made my expectations too high.  (I still can't believe how good that came out just recording into Audacity and trimming the ends a bit.)

Since this is a RODE thread, I won't say much more on the mod issue, but did note that the Oade mod is only 100 bucks over the lowest price I found for a stock R-44, so I need to get to the bottom of that before proceeding if the R-44 option is selected.  Sounds like this is a hotly debated issue, but probably should be pursued in another thread.

Offline boojum

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »
The Neumann U87 retails for $2,000.  You paid a little over 10% of that for a pair of mics.  You will do very well with the NT-1-A's but you will also hear a difference when used side by side.  Do not let that stop you.  Just get out there with the mics and learn all you can about using cardioid mics.  That will keep you busy at least a year.    ;D
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »
Sounds like I could have made a lot worse choice for a first mic...  This is the first set I have purchased, but may be ordering another set pretty quick.  The ebay seller just notified me that they won't be shipped until sometime after Jan. 1 due to having to go out-of-town unexpectedly.  Hope this sale is legit--he had no prior ebay transactions so there is some risk.  He offered to refund my purchase, which is good, but at a little over 200 for the matched pair listed as new, seems worth waiting?  (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260333932591).   Do you know what typically comes packaged with this set?  Might as well start figuring out what I need in terms of accessories--basically starting from scratch.  (all I have is a mediocre mic stand and Shure PG48 that may be worthless from the look on my musician friend's face when showing his what the local guitar store sold me to get "started in recording")

I'm hoping to order my recorder (Edirol R-44) today---guess I should read the mic forum sections and start looking for a pair for those other 2 channels and to play with until the Rodes arrive!  Sounds like the NT1-A's were not the best choice for live recording in a noisy bar--maybe I'll grab a set of budget small diaphragm condensers that would be suitable for "bar" work.  I see this can easily turn into an expensive hobby....

Hmmmm...the wife's xmas gift for me did not come in....maybe she would rather get me some mics or accessories!

Merry Christmas to all!

PS: I kind of got off the thread track--sorry.  I will post some comparison tests on the RODE mics when they arrive to get back on track.  Curious to do an A/B vs that $2000 U87 my buddy uses.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »
Whatever I say here, don't let it influence you one way or another.  ::)

You got these mics for a pretty good price! That's great! It is kind of interesting that he has no history WHATSOEVER. I've bought things online and from ebay but I usually look at their history. Let us know when you get them.

It sounds like you want to get pretty serious for recording and the edirol R44 is a nice recorder--from what I hear--so just make sure you get your money's worth of it. You know, don't let it sit in the closet and use it a couple weeks a year or else you'll make a lot of other tapers mad.  :P

I would suggest you read as much as you possibly can on this board. There's 110,588 topics & 1,471,607  (not including this one) posts. That should keep you busy enough. Once you get 50+ posts you can start messaging (PM) the 19,374 (including you) members. Unless your wallet is bottomless, read, read, read so you don't buy gear you won't use or like.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:43:51 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »
This is a great forum with a lot of generous people.  Looks like I broke a rule already--sent a PM to the guy selling the AT4041's before I hit the 50+ posts.  Oh--the R44 won't sit in the closet!  If it does, somebody on this forum will be getting a good deal on a used R44!  I have spent the last 3 days compulsively researching the subject, mainly hardware choices--wasted about 30 of those 36 hours by not finding this forum sooner!  I have learned the value of good equipment when it comes to things like this, and this equipment really is pretty reasonable priced compared to, say, audio equipment.  Started out initially with a Zoom H4 in my cross hairs, and, well...

Since the RODE NT1-A's are going to be delayed for at least a week, I'm trolling the forum for advice on budget small diaphragm condensers right now.  I'm hoping the AT4041's fit that bill, but there really was very little on the forum about these that I could find beyond a couple comments in the for sale ad that they were underrated mics.  Whatever I end up with, I'm still planning a "shoot-out" with the budget small diaphragm condensers, my RODE NT1-A's (if they arrive!) and my musician friend's high-end mics including his Neumann U87.  Mic choice seems like the most difficult part of the project--the recorder was easier to zero in on.  (Would have bought the Fostex FR2-LE if not for this forum--see all kinds of possibilities with 2 extra channels!).  Mics also are a LOT more expensive than I was expecting! 

Offline boojum

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 07:51:37 PM »
The only problem with the NT1-A's in a bar scene is the size.  They are large to lug around compared to pencil mics.  Other than that you are in the clover.  For $200 you got a very good deal.  I just hope the seller comes through for you. 

The great, great, bike racer, Eddy Merckx offered this advice on how to become a great rider: "Ride a bike a lot."  Same with recording.  Just keep doing it, over and over again.  You will get better and better.  You will learn the little tricks which increase your chances of success.  It is a joy for me.  I love going out, setting up, dragging the gear home, editing, mastering and, in some cases, torrenting it.  Over a period of time you will stop doing the things which do not work.

You can have a lot of fun for what you have invested.  Do not let anyone poo-poo your gear.  Sure there is better gear.  So what's the point?  There is always better gear.  Number one: put those mics in the right place.  When you can do that more often than not you are on the road to having a big monkey on your back.  Welcome.     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
This is a great forum with a lot of generous people.  Looks like I broke a rule already--sent a PM to the guy selling the AT4041's before I hit the 50+ posts. 

No rule against that.

I'm trolling the forum for advice on budget small diaphragm condensers right now.  I'm hoping the AT4041's fit that bill, but there really was very little on the forum about these that I could find beyond a couple comments in the for sale ad that they were underrated mics.

They are very underrated.  I would reach for them over a number of higher priced mics (yes KM184 lovers, I'm talking to YOU!)

They are pretty smooth and quite neutral (typical for AT).  They won't flatter, they will provide a fairly true representation.  Of course they are not as detailed as a lot of mics out there, that's one of the reasons they're a budget mic.  They can produce quite good results though.  I would think 4041's into an R44 would sound quite nice.

Mics also are a LOT more expensive than I was expecting! 

Just remember that *in most cases* you get what you pay for.  There are quite a few overrated mics out there in the upper price brackets, but the general rule of thumb is the more you spend the higher the build quality and the better the sonics.

Good luck, and as many have probably already said, "check your wallet at the door."
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 12:33:20 AM »
This must be an active forum and with lots of people REALLY into this craft...Christmas Eve and all....anyway....

The size of the RODE is no longer an issue.  The ebay seller emailed me, apologizing that the auction was for one, not two mics.  (When it seems too good to be true, it almost always is)  So I have been "saved" and can focus on pencil mics (really don't need any studio mics---the only person I can imagine recording in my studio (living room) has a Neumann U87 and other high-end mics.  Guess this has to move from the RODE NT1-A thread....but until then....

The advice to do it (record) over and over again is good--my first effort that was successful beyond my wildest dreams was beginners luck (except for layering a couple songs right on top of the previous ones (in Audacity--suspect I won't be using that for long as my software--not that the software was responsible for that mistake!) and I know it. I KNOW, when in a live setting with all kinds of crowd noise and limited mic location choices, it is going to be a LOT different than the living room with me and the wife not even MOVING during each song.  The only noise was the furnace kicking on, and that only was allowed to happen ONCE.  The "joy" comment sums it up nicely--this is the most excited and enthusiastic about a new undertaking I have had in YEARS.  And I figured, as boojum said, the mic placement is KEY to success in this venture.  (I started off planning to get a Zoom H4 and strapping it to that cheap mic stand or a tripod and just hitting the bars to record--you experienced tapers would certainly get a LOT better results than I will with an R-44 and fancy mics for a LONG time...if I EVER catch up....)  Which leads into the "you get what you pay for" comment...

I suspect, in recording as in audio playback, computers, and any "gadgets", there is a sweet spot.  IF one is an experienced and skillful recorder, the equipment will be more important. I suspect.  I realized early on that the Zoom H4 was not the sweet spot when there are some quality recorders out there for not THAT much more.  That Edirol R-44 I'm drooling over is really compelling for the  4-channel world it opens, but I wonder if a 2-channel like the Fostex FR2-LE (that was my choice until joining the forum) would keep me from getting into trouble with 2 extra mic inputs begging to be used.  That recurring ""check your wallet at the door" comment is oh so true....back to the mics.....

This has gone way off-topic, and I apologize for that, but what do I get now that the RODE fell through?  I'll spend what I need to (within reason, whatever THAT is), but I have to ask, at this point on the learning curve and in a noisy bar setting, will there be much if any audible difference beyond a decent budget mic?   I was thinking a couple hundred bucks for a used pair would do just fine.  Until I found the RODE NT1-A that appeared to be in that price range, I was looking at, from low to high:

BEHRINGER C-2 matched pair (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHC2) $65 delivered, but a new matched pair went for $53 recently on ebay
NEW SAMSON C02 Condenser Mic Pair FREE UPS+XLR CABLES  $120 delivered (ebay)
Studio Projects C4 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--STUC4) $280 delivered
AKG C 1000 about $250/pair used--many move through ebay (was considering this more when looking at recorders without powered mic inputs)
Audio Technica 4041's (pair) $300 used (from the Forum Yard Sale section)  also saw a new pair go for $350 on ebay recently

That Behringers seems too good to be true (good reviews though), but will any of the others be good "starter" mics for a newbie in a noisy bar setting?  I'd like to keep this under $300, but would not choke on $400 if somebody thinks that is the threshold to get a quality mic.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 02:00:12 AM »
An opinion.. I'd go for the 4041's over all those others you mentioned in the last post.
Concur on record alot.. It's like anything else, ride that bike.  SDCs are popular over LDCs here not so much because of sound advantages, but because of important practical aspects such as easy portability, sight-lines, and resistance to stand toppling.

[edit- Never heard the NT1A, I like the sound of the NT2A a friend has for guitar, banjo and vox. I consider that a very good deal and would use it for concert recording]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:04:09 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 04:29:55 AM »
GB and TNJ are both fans of the AT 4041.  I have noted others recommending them.  Audio Technica has a long history or making quality products.  I have a pair of their electrets I feed a SONY MD with and they sound good.  I would go with the advice of these two guys as they record a lot and experiment a lot.  The worst thing that can happen is that down the road they will not be your favorite pair of mics!

Small, easy to set up, pretty rugged and good sound seems good reason.  It is not a bad idea to buy the pair in the Yard Sale.  I have had good luck with the YS.  This is a small community.  Getting "posted" here as a shoddy trader would not be good.

Now that you have gotten that recording that is better than you ever expected you are dead meat.  Stick a fork in you buddy.  You are done.  If you like music though, you are on a new trajectory.

I read, read, read.  I have gotten the basic texts as reference.  I hang around the various boards.  This is a primo one for starting out.  Gearslutz is helpful, but pro-oriented.  The Pro Sound Web (http://mars.prosoundweb.com/) is good, too.  This board has a list and cross reference of a lot of boards, so check that out.  I am having a lot of fun recording.  So are you!  Have fun and kiss that spare change goodbye.  And record everything you can.  I jumped at every opportunity when I started.  I begged my way into bars and clubs with my gear.  I was tolerated as a mild nuisance, and still am.  But, I am recording better and getting better stuff to record.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
Somebody please speak up if I should be moving this to another thread---not sure if this is proper forum etiquette.  Until then....

SDC it will be. 

4041: I have a PM reply pending for the seller with the $300 used 4041's in the yard sale--unclear if they were sold yet or not. A new pair went for $350 recently on ebay. so this looks like an affordable option in my price range.

NT2A mention: I checked pricing on these--looks like $650 for 2 on ebay right now (not matched pair--singles--not sure if that is an issue)  That is really stretching my budget.....   This started as a RODE NT1A thread---those are low $400's for a new pair (given my $200 ebay deal fell through), but out of the race now due to size.

I like the idea of doing business with forum members---is this a viable candidate?

Busman BSC1 multi-pattern , small condenser studio microphone stereo kit.  (he has them on sale for $450 now and noted that offers are welcome in his post)

Unless somebody has other suggestions in the "not-too-much-over-$400" category, I'll focus on the 4041 or Busman BSC1, if an appropriated mic for my use(?).  I'm ready to buy.  Am hoping to order the recorder today, so the mic needs finalizing.  I'm anxious to rock 'n roll!

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »
Go for the busmans IMO.
You get all the caps and shockmounts and he is always helpful if there is any questions.
This is great especially if just starting out becase you get to know the sound of different
cap patterns, Cards, Hypers, Subs, and Omni.
$450 is damn good and I've heard quite a few tapes that smoke.
Here's some samples from Live Music Archive.
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=busman%20bsc1
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 10:59:02 AM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »
Quote from: jim1274 link=topic=111763.msg1535198#msg1535198
Audio Technica 4041's (pair) $300 used (from the Forum Yard Sale section)  also saw a new pair go for $350 on ebay recently

They are SOLD. I am the proud buyer of them and one of two payments is on its way to the seller.

Keep your eye out in the yard sale. One of these days, I'm going to make a list of everything I've bought from sellers in the yard sale. Make an ISO (in search of) post and you'll get responses. It may not be today or next week but bump it every once in awhile and you'll get SOMETHING. Persistences pays off with this hobby.
What kind of music are you interested in recording? Where abouts do you live? There's probably some tapers near you that you can borrow their mics/cables just so you know the best setup, placement, good music, etc.

This is my new found music:

Porter Batiste Stoltz on archive.org

PBS website!!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »
You get all the caps and shockmounts and he is always helpful if there is any questions.
This is great especially if just starting out becase you get to know the sound of different
cap patterns, Cards, Hypers, Subs, and Omni.
^^^
This is an excellent point.  Very useful to experiment with different patterns and learn were they are well applied.  I realize the NT2A is out of your price range and was eliminated by size.  I mentioned it only becasue it probably sounds the same as the NT1A in cardioid, but also adds other patterns.

I haven't heard the busmans but have heard some nice recoridings using them.  Good luck
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »

BTW: Here is a nice site with lots of audio comparisons of LDC mics...

http://www.testrecordings.net/mic/index_en.html

No NT1-A in the list tho, but most of the other Rodes are.

digifish

This is way late as far as a reply goes and entirely off topic
========thread hi-jack warning===========
Just took a listen to some of the samples there and in particular listened to the ADK A51s type IV seeing as I own them.  compared them to the Neuman TLM170 cards TLM103 Manley reference and I have to say I am impressed how well they hold up side by side with much higher priced mics.  I wish I had a way to compare the Bussman mod I had done against them.  Thats a great link and I only wish they had AKG's on there to compare, Kirk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com