Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RODE NT1-A --- Anybody working with these mics?  (Read 15026 times)

Offline jim1274

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: RODE NT1-A --- Anybody working with these mics?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 12:33:20 AM »
This must be an active forum and with lots of people REALLY into this craft...Christmas Eve and all....anyway....

The size of the RODE is no longer an issue.  The ebay seller emailed me, apologizing that the auction was for one, not two mics.  (When it seems too good to be true, it almost always is)  So I have been "saved" and can focus on pencil mics (really don't need any studio mics---the only person I can imagine recording in my studio (living room) has a Neumann U87 and other high-end mics.  Guess this has to move from the RODE NT1-A thread....but until then....

The advice to do it (record) over and over again is good--my first effort that was successful beyond my wildest dreams was beginners luck (except for layering a couple songs right on top of the previous ones (in Audacity--suspect I won't be using that for long as my software--not that the software was responsible for that mistake!) and I know it. I KNOW, when in a live setting with all kinds of crowd noise and limited mic location choices, it is going to be a LOT different than the living room with me and the wife not even MOVING during each song.  The only noise was the furnace kicking on, and that only was allowed to happen ONCE.  The "joy" comment sums it up nicely--this is the most excited and enthusiastic about a new undertaking I have had in YEARS.  And I figured, as boojum said, the mic placement is KEY to success in this venture.  (I started off planning to get a Zoom H4 and strapping it to that cheap mic stand or a tripod and just hitting the bars to record--you experienced tapers would certainly get a LOT better results than I will with an R-44 and fancy mics for a LONG time...if I EVER catch up....)  Which leads into the "you get what you pay for" comment...

I suspect, in recording as in audio playback, computers, and any "gadgets", there is a sweet spot.  IF one is an experienced and skillful recorder, the equipment will be more important. I suspect.  I realized early on that the Zoom H4 was not the sweet spot when there are some quality recorders out there for not THAT much more.  That Edirol R-44 I'm drooling over is really compelling for the  4-channel world it opens, but I wonder if a 2-channel like the Fostex FR2-LE (that was my choice until joining the forum) would keep me from getting into trouble with 2 extra mic inputs begging to be used.  That recurring ""check your wallet at the door" comment is oh so true....back to the mics.....

This has gone way off-topic, and I apologize for that, but what do I get now that the RODE fell through?  I'll spend what I need to (within reason, whatever THAT is), but I have to ask, at this point on the learning curve and in a noisy bar setting, will there be much if any audible difference beyond a decent budget mic?   I was thinking a couple hundred bucks for a used pair would do just fine.  Until I found the RODE NT1-A that appeared to be in that price range, I was looking at, from low to high:

BEHRINGER C-2 matched pair (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHC2) $65 delivered, but a new matched pair went for $53 recently on ebay
NEW SAMSON C02 Condenser Mic Pair FREE UPS+XLR CABLES  $120 delivered (ebay)
Studio Projects C4 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--STUC4) $280 delivered
AKG C 1000 about $250/pair used--many move through ebay (was considering this more when looking at recorders without powered mic inputs)
Audio Technica 4041's (pair) $300 used (from the Forum Yard Sale section)  also saw a new pair go for $350 on ebay recently

That Behringers seems too good to be true (good reviews though), but will any of the others be good "starter" mics for a newbie in a noisy bar setting?  I'd like to keep this under $300, but would not choke on $400 if somebody thinks that is the threshold to get a quality mic.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 02:00:12 AM »
An opinion.. I'd go for the 4041's over all those others you mentioned in the last post.
Concur on record alot.. It's like anything else, ride that bike.  SDCs are popular over LDCs here not so much because of sound advantages, but because of important practical aspects such as easy portability, sight-lines, and resistance to stand toppling.

[edit- Never heard the NT1A, I like the sound of the NT2A a friend has for guitar, banjo and vox. I consider that a very good deal and would use it for concert recording]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:04:09 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 04:29:55 AM »
GB and TNJ are both fans of the AT 4041.  I have noted others recommending them.  Audio Technica has a long history or making quality products.  I have a pair of their electrets I feed a SONY MD with and they sound good.  I would go with the advice of these two guys as they record a lot and experiment a lot.  The worst thing that can happen is that down the road they will not be your favorite pair of mics!

Small, easy to set up, pretty rugged and good sound seems good reason.  It is not a bad idea to buy the pair in the Yard Sale.  I have had good luck with the YS.  This is a small community.  Getting "posted" here as a shoddy trader would not be good.

Now that you have gotten that recording that is better than you ever expected you are dead meat.  Stick a fork in you buddy.  You are done.  If you like music though, you are on a new trajectory.

I read, read, read.  I have gotten the basic texts as reference.  I hang around the various boards.  This is a primo one for starting out.  Gearslutz is helpful, but pro-oriented.  The Pro Sound Web (http://mars.prosoundweb.com/) is good, too.  This board has a list and cross reference of a lot of boards, so check that out.  I am having a lot of fun recording.  So are you!  Have fun and kiss that spare change goodbye.  And record everything you can.  I jumped at every opportunity when I started.  I begged my way into bars and clubs with my gear.  I was tolerated as a mild nuisance, and still am.  But, I am recording better and getting better stuff to record.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
Somebody please speak up if I should be moving this to another thread---not sure if this is proper forum etiquette.  Until then....

SDC it will be. 

4041: I have a PM reply pending for the seller with the $300 used 4041's in the yard sale--unclear if they were sold yet or not. A new pair went for $350 recently on ebay. so this looks like an affordable option in my price range.

NT2A mention: I checked pricing on these--looks like $650 for 2 on ebay right now (not matched pair--singles--not sure if that is an issue)  That is really stretching my budget.....   This started as a RODE NT1A thread---those are low $400's for a new pair (given my $200 ebay deal fell through), but out of the race now due to size.

I like the idea of doing business with forum members---is this a viable candidate?

Busman BSC1 multi-pattern , small condenser studio microphone stereo kit.  (he has them on sale for $450 now and noted that offers are welcome in his post)

Unless somebody has other suggestions in the "not-too-much-over-$400" category, I'll focus on the 4041 or Busman BSC1, if an appropriated mic for my use(?).  I'm ready to buy.  Am hoping to order the recorder today, so the mic needs finalizing.  I'm anxious to rock 'n roll!

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »
Go for the busmans IMO.
You get all the caps and shockmounts and he is always helpful if there is any questions.
This is great especially if just starting out becase you get to know the sound of different
cap patterns, Cards, Hypers, Subs, and Omni.
$450 is damn good and I've heard quite a few tapes that smoke.
Here's some samples from Live Music Archive.
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=busman%20bsc1
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 10:59:02 AM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »
Quote from: jim1274 link=topic=111763.msg1535198#msg1535198
Audio Technica 4041's (pair) $300 used (from the Forum Yard Sale section)  also saw a new pair go for $350 on ebay recently

They are SOLD. I am the proud buyer of them and one of two payments is on its way to the seller.

Keep your eye out in the yard sale. One of these days, I'm going to make a list of everything I've bought from sellers in the yard sale. Make an ISO (in search of) post and you'll get responses. It may not be today or next week but bump it every once in awhile and you'll get SOMETHING. Persistences pays off with this hobby.
What kind of music are you interested in recording? Where abouts do you live? There's probably some tapers near you that you can borrow their mics/cables just so you know the best setup, placement, good music, etc.

This is my new found music:

Porter Batiste Stoltz on archive.org

PBS website!!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »
You get all the caps and shockmounts and he is always helpful if there is any questions.
This is great especially if just starting out becase you get to know the sound of different
cap patterns, Cards, Hypers, Subs, and Omni.
^^^
This is an excellent point.  Very useful to experiment with different patterns and learn were they are well applied.  I realize the NT2A is out of your price range and was eliminated by size.  I mentioned it only becasue it probably sounds the same as the NT1A in cardioid, but also adds other patterns.

I haven't heard the busmans but have heard some nice recoridings using them.  Good luck
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »

BTW: Here is a nice site with lots of audio comparisons of LDC mics...

http://www.testrecordings.net/mic/index_en.html

No NT1-A in the list tho, but most of the other Rodes are.

digifish

This is way late as far as a reply goes and entirely off topic
========thread hi-jack warning===========
Just took a listen to some of the samples there and in particular listened to the ADK A51s type IV seeing as I own them.  compared them to the Neuman TLM170 cards TLM103 Manley reference and I have to say I am impressed how well they hold up side by side with much higher priced mics.  I wish I had a way to compare the Bussman mod I had done against them.  Thats a great link and I only wish they had AKG's on there to compare, Kirk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com