Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)  (Read 16610 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Is anybody else so impressed with the Church Audio CA-14 mics that they're considering selling their entire fleet of high dollar gear and dropping back to Chris's stuff at a TINY fraction of the cost, but without hardly any sacrifice in sound quality? 

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »
I hope so :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »
I got an unexpected $1,000 a couple of months ago and I was thinking of upgrading to an FR2LE and a set of Busman mics, but after some thought and listening I didn't think that would be enough of an upgrade to justify the cost.  I also love the small size and easy setup of the Church Audio mics and preamp, not to mention the fact that they use batteries that you can purchase anywhere in the world if necessary.  The only way that I'll leave Team Church is if I hit the lottery and can afford a DPA 4028 > V3 > 744t rig....but that's not gonna happen.  I'm happy enough with the results that I get from my Church Audio products that I'll stick with 'em until Mr. Church introduces some new stuff. 

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
I am happy with the CA-14's and the 9100 *currently upgrading to the 4.0* but don't think I am ready to unload the rig in my sig just yet.  I like a lot of options.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
havent used the ca14 cards, but the omnis made me feel funny DOWN THERE....
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
wishing Chris would answer PMs about items he has listed in the yard sale?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
wishing Chris would answer PMs about items he has listed in the yard sale?

I have something listed in the yardsale? ask away.

Chris

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:26:34 AM »
< removed post so as not to derail this thread  -  question asked in correct thread >
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:14:54 AM by flipp »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Is anybody else so impressed with the Church Audio CA-14 mics that they're considering selling their entire fleet of high dollar gear and dropping back to Chris's stuff at a TINY fraction of the cost, but without hardly any sacrifice in sound quality? 

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

I once had myself convinced that consumer priced directional electrets could compete with consumer priced directional SDC's...    I was never happy with the bass response of the electrets.
I prefer the size and convienece of an electret rig, but I just couldn't get the sub 100hz response that I was looking for.    I got damn close running 853->9100->Oade warm SBM-1->iriver.   still the lowest octaves just didn't have enough ballz. 

Comparing the lowend of my  At4050, peluso's, nt6s or even my $99 a pair Karma K10 to any of the many electrets I have owned,  the difference in bass is remarkable.

If I was only using onmi directional mics, I would be running CA-14->9100->MR-1
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »
The 853s are actually considered condensers.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 02:29:22 AM »
The 853s are actually considered condensers.

All of the mics mentioned are condenser mics :) Electret condenser mics. A true capacitor mic has a polarizing voltage applied to the diaphragm and does not have a permanent charge on its diaphragm.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
Friday and Saturday I taped 2 shows with my "big" rig - ADK TLs>Wendt X2>R-09HR.  Those tapes sound great, although I was in a noisy bar.  It took me and two friends to block the drunks stumbling around the mic stand, however. 

Last night I taped Brett Dennen with my "low profile" set up - CA14s(cards,DIN)>CA-9100(v3.1)>R-09HR.  It was also in a noisy bar, but there's just no way to run a mic stand there (had my home-made Wonk bar clamped to a pole at the SBD).  Last night's tape is also a great sounding recording, and has plenty of bass (maybe too much). 

Bottom line is that I'm super happy with both set-ups.  The Church Audio gear makes an amazingly impressive recording, and even my taper buddies won't easily be able to tell the difference between the rigs. 

While I'm not ready to sell the large mics and "full-size" pre, there's absolutely no way I'd sell the Church Audio gear EVER (unless it was to upgrade to new Church Audio gear). 

Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
...but don't think I am ready to unload the rig in my sig just yet.  I like a lot of options. [Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T-mod)]
I like your style.

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »
Friday and Saturday I taped 2 shows with my "big" rig - ADK TLs>Wendt X2>R-09HR.  Those tapes sound great, although I was in a noisy bar.  It took me and two friends to block the drunks stumbling around the mic stand, however. 

Last night I taped Brett Dennen with my "low profile" set up - CA14s(cards,DIN)>CA-9100(v3.1)>R-09HR.  It was also in a noisy bar, but there's just no way to run a mic stand there (had my home-made Wonk bar clamped to a pole at the SBD).  Last night's tape is also a great sounding recording, and has plenty of bass (maybe too much). 

Bottom line is that I'm super happy with both set-ups.  The Church Audio gear makes an amazingly impressive recording, and even my taper buddies won't easily be able to tell the difference between the rigs. 

While I'm not ready to sell the large mics and "full-size" pre, there's absolutely no way I'd sell the Church Audio gear EVER (unless it was to upgrade to new Church Audio gear). 

We're sluts.  I think that's the bottom line!

The taper slut in me loves having multiple patterns, big dollars invested, and pretty lights. 

When I listen to these CA-14 recordings though, there's simply NO WAY I can use logic to justify that I have well over ten times the cost of a CA-14 rig invested in my rig, when the incremental sound improvement of my rig is only a marginal improvement of what the CA-14s deliver...IMHO. 

Still, I'm a slut and I love my current rig, so I don't know that it makes a difference to me now, but if financial pressure ever mounts, there's no doubt which direction I'll turn. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »

The taper slut in me loves having multiple patterns, big dollars invested, and pretty lights. 

When I listen to these CA-14 recordings though, there's simply NO WAY I can use logic to justify that I have well over ten times the cost of a CA-14 rig invested in my rig, when the incremental sound improvement of my rig is only a marginal improvement of what the CA-14s deliver...IMHO. 

Still, I'm a slut and I love my current rig, so I don't know that it makes a difference to me now, but if financial pressure ever mounts, there's no doubt which direction I'll turn. 

I really cant say thank you enough for the kind words really. I appreciate it big time. Its been hard for me too these financial times are hard right now but I have always felt like I have been very well supported here and consider my self very fortunate to be so accepted. Thanks again.

One thing I want to say is there are lots of good mics out there besides mine. Placement and the sound of the venue will always be the number one cause of a good recording.. gear will always be the number two cause.

Chris

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »

One thing that would hold me back from a CA-14 only rig is that without a balanced output, long cable runs are pretty much out.  That would eliminate some of my favorite spots to record from.  Beyond that, you sure do run into diminishing returns quickly, which isn't to say the more expensive stuff doesn't sound great.

I'd love to see what Chris could come up with in terms of a phantom powered condenser and complementary preamp if he wanted to go that route...

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

I really cant say thank you enough for the kind words really. I appreciate it big time. Its been hard for me too these financial times are hard right now but I have always felt like I have been very well supported here and consider my self very fortunate to be so accepted. Thanks again.

One thing I want to say is there are lots of good mics out there besides mine. Placement and the sound of the venue will always be the number one cause of a good recording.. gear will always be the number two cause.

Chris

As usual, words of wisdom from Chris.
I've never liked the Location-Location-Location mantra. IMHO, sound of venue plays the most important role.
BTW, last night I used my 9100 > R-09HR with amazing results.
Thanks, Chris.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »

One thing that would hold me back from a CA-14 only rig is that without a balanced output, long cable runs are pretty much out.  That would eliminate some of my favorite spots to record from.  Beyond that, you sure do run into diminishing returns quickly, which isn't to say the more expensive stuff doesn't sound great.

I'd love to see what Chris could come up with in terms of a phantom powered condenser and complementary preamp if he wanted to go that route...

I will have a phantom version with in the next few months. I am working on it.

Chris

Offline Will_S

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »

Preamp or mics (or both)?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »

What do you think the longest cable you could run would be before noticing crappy sounds? Another bad thing about using long cables is the fact they can come disconnected since its not locking like XLR.

I think the nice thing about using a small rig (ca14--9100--09hr, for example) allows you to set your mics and recorder in places where you can't have your 2LE, 744/702, R4/R44 and have it (hopefully) untouched for the show.

I have been nothing but pleased with Church's mics and his (online) personality.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »

What do you think the longest cable you could run would be before noticing crappy sounds? Another bad thing about using long cables is the fact they can come disconnected since its not locking like XLR.

I think the nice thing about using a small rig (ca14--9100--09hr, for example) allows you to set your mics and recorder in places where you can't have your 2LE, 744/702, R4/R44 and have it (hopefully) untouched for the show.

Exactly what I did last night... I clamped the mics up high, out of sight and out of touch, then ran a 6-ft Radio Shack mini headphone extension cable between the CA14 cable and the CA-9100.  I've never tried longer cable runs than that, but adding 6 feet doesn't make any difference that I can tell.  This allowed me to set the 9100 and the R-09HR way out of the way of spilled beer, dancers, etc.  I hit record and left the rig to go join my friends for the rest of the show.  If i had been running a mic stand in that bar, I wouldn't have been able to relax for a second. 

My name is Bevin, and I am a Gear Slut.   And you can sign me up right now for any "phantom version" of anything that Chris comes up with!
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »

Mics first preamp second and when this preamp comes out there are going to be alot of people saying holy shit :)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »

I have been nothing but pleased with Church's mics and his (online) personality.

With any unbalanced mic I REALLY dont recommend anything over 15 feet for a mic cable. That's plenty of footage to run up a stand into a gear bag.

Chris

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
FWIW ive never had anyone mess with my CA gear.  i run the mics kinda high, and run the cable into a crown royal bag which contains the preamp and the recorder, then i just hang it from my stand.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »
FWIW ive never had anyone mess with my CA gear.  i run the mics kinda high, and run the cable into a crown royal bag which contains the preamp and the recorder, then i just hang it from my stand.

Great advice and I never thought about that. no reason to have it go all the way to the ground if you can help it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »

Mics first preamp second

Outstanding.  I'll start saving my money immediately.  :coolguy:

stevetoney

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

Great advice and I never thought about that. no reason to have it go all the way to the ground if you can help it.

For sure...between having people step on gear and the chances of stuff getting spilled on it, if you can keep gear tethered to your stand a couple feet above the floor, that's the way to go.  I've seen a couple of smallish portable 'tables' that can be carried in your bag and then  latch onto a stand.  These look kinda cool too but in the end I'm personally just relying on the overall sturdiness of my PEGZ-2 (with the window cover to monitor levels) to protect everything on the floor.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »

With any unbalanced mic I REALLY dont recommend anything over 15 feet for a mic cable. That's plenty of footage to run up a stand into a gear bag.

Chris

I've run your CA-11s  (both flavors), CA-14s (both flavors) and your CAFS mics with a 20' headphone extension cable with no problems I noticed except once when the cable paralleled some rope lights and I picked up some noise. In fact the Chris Duarte recording you liked was with the 20' cable. When I run your mics on a stand I use a shorter cable. I would think the less cable the better.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Will_S

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »
Agreed, no problem running an unbalanced cable the length (or part of the length) of a mic stand.  Where it can be an issue is if you want to run onstage but keep your recorder far off to the side, or run through the house snake, or clamp to a rafter DFC and run your cables to the wall, etc.  One of my favorite spots to tape I can get in early to clamp my mics invisibly to the center balcony, but the manager likes to save the seats there for paying customers (specifically the ones who stand in line for hours to grab the best spot), so I run my cables far off to the side to leave them open.

Anyway, looking forward to the XLR Church mics.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
Agreed, no problem running an unbalanced cable the length (or part of the length) of a mic stand.  Where it can be an issue is if you want to run onstage but keep your recorder far off to the side, or run through the house snake, or clamp to a rafter DFC and run your cables to the wall, etc.  One of my favorite spots to tape I can get in early to clamp my mics invisibly to the center balcony, but the manager likes to save the seats there for paying customers (specifically the ones who stand in line for hours to grab the best spot), so I run my cables far off to the side to leave them open.

Anyway, looking forward to the XLR Church mics.

Thanks I am working on it. I think we might develop an adaptor for everyone to use with the existing mics first so that nobody feels left out.. But I do want to also make a mini xlr version.

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 01:05:02 AM »

These are my sentiments exactly.  And 'm still running the CA-11s.  I need to get me sluttiness in gear and buy a set of CA-14s....

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »
I have had the pleasure of listening to a few recordings made with just your cardioid-mic (ca-14?) plugged into a mp3-player with wave-recording-function. The last week a fast rockband was taped and I can't stop listening to it!!!! (might have to do with the fact that I have a tattoo of that band on my arm... hehehe)

Now.... the result of that is... well... stunning really!  :o

I use the Sonic Studios DSM-6EL with bassfilter at the moment, and since they are omni's I get much bass all the time, even though I filter some out it still comes out boomy in medium sized clubs/halls... If i take too much bass out it sounds thin and flat. In Sweden where I live, only 100dB is allowed at concerts, making the crowd more noisy than the show sometimes, now if I use an omni-mic to that, well sometimes it sounds like crap. Also at larger shows I only get boomy results, at least indoors. Outdoors it's good, not great! (I have no sort of windscreens to the DSM's, they look like a joke, the one's that excist).

I'm really considering selling my DSM's+bassfilter ($900 worth) and buying your CA-14's. I've been taping since 1992, but have never heard stealthing-results like these...  ;D

All help appreciated from you Chris, to choose a model with settings that suits my purposes (I tape Rock + Metal). I only want the cardioids, no omni's. If I like what these produce in smaller+medium-sized places then maybe I'll get the omni's later for taping at bigger places.

I use the R-09 at the moment (the first model, not the HR), what do I need to add to the CA-14?

Very much thanks in advance!
/Jonas Karlsson, Sweden (jontebus)

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 02:32:05 PM »

You can't pay for better PR than this post!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
I have had the pleasure of listening to a few recordings made with just your cardioid-mic (ca-14?) plugged into a mp3-player with wave-recording-function. The last week a fast rockband was taped and I can't stop listening to it!!!! (might have to do with the fact that I have a tattoo of that band on my arm... hehehe)

Now.... the result of that is... well... stunning really!  :o

I use the Sonic Studios DSM-6EL with bassfilter at the moment, and since they are omni's I get much bass all the time, even though I filter some out it still comes out boomy in medium sized clubs/halls... If i take too much bass out it sounds thin and flat. In Sweden where I live, only 100dB is allowed at concerts, making the crowd more noisy than the show sometimes, now if I use an omni-mic to that, well sometimes it sounds like crap. Also at larger shows I only get boomy results, at least indoors. Outdoors it's good, not great! (I have no sort of windscreens to the DSM's, they look like a joke, the one's that excist).

I'm really considering selling my DSM's+bassfilter ($900 worth) and buying your CA-14's. I've been taping since 1992, but have never heard stealthing-results like these...  ;D

All help appreciated from you Chris, to choose a model with settings that suits my purposes (I tape Rock + Metal). I only want the cardioids, no omni's. If I like what these produce in smaller+medium-sized places then maybe I'll get the omni's later for taping at bigger places.

I use the R-09 at the moment (the first model, not the HR), what do I need to add to the CA-14?

CA-14 + A battery box should be all you need for the type of shows you record.
And thank you for the kind words.
Chris

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 03:33:06 AM »

I'm open for a discount when buying the CA-14  :-* sometimes the english language vs the swedish language puts me in a position where it just comes out wrong... sorry

Chris: Is there another picture available that shows the size of the CA-14, CA-11 & cafs? A Canadian stamp doesn't say much to me, really  ;) Does the CA-14 come with a clip? The picture you sent me showed that the CA-11 had clips, but I couldn't see any on the 14. Also, does this batterybox you recommend need any bassfilter? You state cardioids doesn't usually need it, but the CA-14 is deeper in bass than the CA-11, which from what I've heard still gives a good punch at smaller/medium sized shows... at least here in Sweden.

I'm really beginning to feel the excitement of taping once again! (this is my 17th year!)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:39:29 AM by jontebus »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:40 AM »

I'm open for a discount when buying the CA-14  :-* sometimes the english language vs the swedish language puts me in a position where it just comes out wrong... sorry

Chris: Is there another picture available that shows the size of the CA-14, CA-11 & cafs? A Canadian stamp doesn't say much to me, really  ;) Does the CA-14 come with a clip? The picture you sent me showed that the CA-11 had clips, but I couldn't see any on the 14. Also, does this batterybox you recommend need any bassfilter? You state cardioids doesn't usually need it, but the CA-14 is deeper in bass than the CA-11, which from what I've heard still gives a good punch at smaller/medium sized shows... at least here in Sweden.

I'm really beginning to feel the excitement of taping once again! (this is my 17th year!)

Just for reference the stamp is 17mm x 17mm or 0.69 inches x 0.69 inches or for the people that prefer fractions :) 11/16 x 11/16 The ca-14 can come with clips if you order them that way ( a free option ) You dont need a bass roll off with these mics. The battery box does not come with one. I am glad your exited about taping!

Chris

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »
Just for reference the stamp is 17mm x 17mm or 0.69 inches x 0.69 inches or for the people that prefer fractions :) 11/16 x 11/16 The ca-14 can come with clips if you order them that way ( a free option ) You dont need a bass roll off with these mics. The battery box does not come with one. I am glad your exited about taping!

Chris

Yes, I'm very excited... will get back to you as soon as I've sold my DMS-6EL + bassfilter, hopefully someone wants them...  ???

Will this equipment work just as fine with the R-09 HR-model? (thinking of getting that as well)

How much will this package cost, in total? (ca-14 w.clips + batterybox + shipping).

/Jonas Karlsson aka "jontebus"

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 12:30:29 AM »

Will this equipment work just as fine with the R-09 HR-model? (thinking of getting that as well)

I'm running ca11>9100>r09hr and couldn't be happier.  An r09hr is a great little recorder!!

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 02:51:34 AM »
I'm running ca11>9100>r09hr and couldn't be happier.  An r09hr is a great little recorder!!

Mako

Ok, do you have any soundsamples to post? Preferably samples that has no eq done, I could post a sample of a show recorded only with the CA-11 + a Mp3-recorder if someone likes, still sounds impressive! (a friend of mine taped that).

/Jonas

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:01 AM »
http://www.archive.org/details/rumpkemb2009-03-08.aud.ca11

ca11>9100>r1

Ok,thanks. I've found quite a few samples on the "live music archive", but there are not so many rock/hard rock samples there, which is what I tape. Here is a sample of a recording made with this setting: CA11>iRiver Mp3

http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/243597/3176047/sample%201.mp3

/Jonas

Offline shaggy28

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 05:46:20 PM »
http://www.archive.org/details/rumpkemb2009-03-08.aud.ca11

ca11>9100>r1

Ok,thanks. I've found quite a few samples on the "live music archive", but there are not so many rock/hard rock samples there, which is what I tape. Here is a sample of a recording made with this setting: CA11>iRiver Mp3

http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/243597/3176047/sample%201.mp3

/Jonas

Not really metal or hard rock but the audio for this was from the CA14's>9100>R09 i also have a clip of In Flames which is more of what you're talking about from a few months ago but that was with the CA11s let me know if you want that. The CA14's are great you'll love them.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 02:53:43 AM »
Not really metal or hard rock but the audio for this was from the CA14's>9100>R09 i also have a clip of In Flames which is more of what you're talking about from a few months ago but that was with the CA11s let me know if you want that. The CA14's are great you'll love them.

Which clip is recorded CA14´s>9100>R09?

Would love to hear a clip with In Flames. My taperfriend here in Sweden also recorded In Flames, last winter, with his quite simple setup, and it sounds great too! Keep tha samples coming people  >:D

/Jonas

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »
Bumpelibump  :-*

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
Keeping this thread alive, by showing you a clip recorded with the CA-11's from a PACKED 1100-people club in Gothenburg, Sweden. Recorded quite near the right PA. As you can hear, it sounds.... Mmmmm.... detailed, and although its rough and lots of people (it's a stealth!!!) it sounds sooo good. IMHO.....

It's just the CA-11 plugged into a MP3-recorder with Wave-function...

What do you think?

http://rapidshare.com/files/222085979/18_-_Isn_t_that_wild.wav.html

/Jonas "jontebus" Karlsson

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
Can the CA-14 cards come mounted in Croakies?

Offline Belexes

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

I think they a little on the big side for croakies with the attached windscreen. I collar mount mine when I need to be discreet.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
And for a swedish taper, with medium knowledge in the english language, by "collar mount" the CA-14 you mean put them around your neck on the top of your shirt? Pointing upwards/out?  ???

The sample I put out just before is also recorded that way... the CA-11 mounted on shirt-collar. Place was packed the taper said, can't really tell... love those Church...  :P

Offline Belexes

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »
Without getting too specific in the open....mics attached to clothing above the shoulders.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 01:48:58 AM »
okidoki... Please, anyone having samples of rock/hardrock/metal PLEASE leave samples recorded with the CA-14... PLEEEASE  >:D

Offline Belexes

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »
okidoki... Please, anyone having samples of rock/hardrock/metal PLEASE leave samples recorded with the CA-14... PLEEEASE  >:D

I taped this show, VERY loud. I used ear plugs:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=240104

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 09:02:09 AM »

I taped this show, VERY loud. I used ear plugs:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=240104

Thanks man! Sounds very good, even though it's lacking some highs, I guess you also had them clipped on your collar and there were people in front of you, right?

This sounds so natural it's unbelievable!

Any more taped shows, other than the Skids? (Except for Adler's appetite etc that is already on dimeadozen)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:25:51 AM by jontebus »

Offline Belexes

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »
^That's about it for hard rock. I also taped Yes with the CA-14's:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php%3Fpage%3D1&id=225160

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »
OK, so I've snatched up quite many samples now, done with the Church CA-14, and I must say it sounds very good. But the bass is a bit boomy on many of the recordings... also they seem to suffer from loss of high end (it has been stated the opposite on this site for instance, that they go deeper AND higher than the CA-11. What's the deal here? Do I need some sort of bassfilter anyway? Does the CA-14 suffer from having the windshield on at all times?

Hoping for Chris' return to the board soon, needs anwers to these questions so I can sell my DSM's and buy a pair of Church... I believe!!!  ^-^

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
OK, so I've snatched up quite many samples now, done with the Church CA-14, and I must say it sounds very good. But the bass is a bit boomy on many of the recordings... also they seem to suffer from loss of high end (it has been stated the opposite on this site for instance, that they go deeper AND higher than the CA-11. What's the deal here? Do I need some sort of bassfilter anyway? Does the CA-14 suffer from having the windshield on at all times?

Hoping for Chris' return to the board soon, needs anwers to these questions so I can sell my DSM's and buy a pair of Church... I believe!!!  ^-^

The bass is lower on the ca-14 the high end is more extended on the ca-14 but not every venue is going to sound great. Its very hard to know what was going on in a venue that a band was recorded in unless you were there. I dont want to sound like I am defending my product. I think like any mic if placement is off the recording will sound bad. And yes I am back :)

Chris

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »

The bass is lower on the ca-14 the high end is more extended on the ca-14 but not every venue is going to sound great. Its very hard to know what was going on in a venue that a band was recorded in unless you were there. I dont want to sound like I am defending my product. I think like any mic if placement is off the recording will sound bad. And yes I am back :)

Chris

Hi Chris, and welcome back! Hope all has gone well with the move?

Of course one cannot know what went on at every show, and as I have stated before: each venue + taper's experience will determine the most for the results anyway... I'm quite confident that I can get great results with the CA-11 to start with, since I have at least 17 years of training with stealthrecording...

Chris: You've recommended a batterybox with the mics - since I'm recording loud shows (although you still haven't convinced me of that fact, since they only allow 100dB at shows in Sweden nowdays... - but you said that IS loud so I'll believe you ;o)) Which batterybox should that be? What would the total cost be with that batterybox + CA-11 cardioids shipped to Sweden? Building-time? What way do you prefer I'd pay? Paypal?

Please PM me and we can arrange for an order shortly, ok?

Later
/Jonas "jontebus" Karlsson

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »

I think they a little on the big side for croakies with the attached windscreen. I collar mount mine when I need to be discreet.

Inside the liner of a baseball hat (where it folds up inside the hat) also works great and it is 100% undetectable. I don't find that the material of the hat makes an audible difference to the sound.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 02:40:49 PM »

Inside the liner of a baseball hat (where it folds up inside the hat) also works great and it is 100% undetectable. I don't find that the material of the hat makes an audible difference to the sound.

You got a picture showing just this?  :-\

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »

Yes, I can email you one.

Send your email to fmaderjr@comcast.net

I may need to reply tomorrow. Will be going out for evening shortly.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:17:01 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »

Yes, I can email you one.

Send your email to fmaderjr@comcast.net

I may need to reply tomorrow. Will be going out for evening shortly.

You have email  ;)

Roving Sign

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2009, 07:15:15 AM »

I fear you are deaf...

I would be fairly certain it makes an "audible difference"

Now - whether or not that means your recording will sound like crap is a different story - you may still get acceptable results...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:27:45 AM by Roving Sign »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.195 seconds with 86 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com