Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)  (Read 16596 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »
When I listen to these CA-14 recordings though, there's simply NO WAY I can use logic to justify that I have well over ten times the cost of a CA-14 rig invested in my rig, when the incremental sound improvement of my rig is only a marginal improvement of what the CA-14s deliver...IMHO.  

One thing that would hold me back from a CA-14 only rig is that without a balanced output, long cable runs are pretty much out.  That would eliminate some of my favorite spots to record from.  Beyond that, you sure do run into diminishing returns quickly, which isn't to say the more expensive stuff doesn't sound great.

I'd love to see what Chris could come up with in terms of a phantom powered condenser and complementary preamp if he wanted to go that route...

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

I really cant say thank you enough for the kind words really. I appreciate it big time. Its been hard for me too these financial times are hard right now but I have always felt like I have been very well supported here and consider my self very fortunate to be so accepted. Thanks again.

One thing I want to say is there are lots of good mics out there besides mine. Placement and the sound of the venue will always be the number one cause of a good recording.. gear will always be the number two cause.

Chris

As usual, words of wisdom from Chris.
I've never liked the Location-Location-Location mantra. IMHO, sound of venue plays the most important role.
BTW, last night I used my 9100 > R-09HR with amazing results.
Thanks, Chris.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »
When I listen to these CA-14 recordings though, there's simply NO WAY I can use logic to justify that I have well over ten times the cost of a CA-14 rig invested in my rig, when the incremental sound improvement of my rig is only a marginal improvement of what the CA-14s deliver...IMHO.  

One thing that would hold me back from a CA-14 only rig is that without a balanced output, long cable runs are pretty much out.  That would eliminate some of my favorite spots to record from.  Beyond that, you sure do run into diminishing returns quickly, which isn't to say the more expensive stuff doesn't sound great.

I'd love to see what Chris could come up with in terms of a phantom powered condenser and complementary preamp if he wanted to go that route...

I will have a phantom version with in the next few months. I am working on it.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Will_S

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »

Preamp or mics (or both)?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »

What do you think the longest cable you could run would be before noticing crappy sounds? Another bad thing about using long cables is the fact they can come disconnected since its not locking like XLR.

I think the nice thing about using a small rig (ca14--9100--09hr, for example) allows you to set your mics and recorder in places where you can't have your 2LE, 744/702, R4/R44 and have it (hopefully) untouched for the show.

I have been nothing but pleased with Church's mics and his (online) personality.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »

What do you think the longest cable you could run would be before noticing crappy sounds? Another bad thing about using long cables is the fact they can come disconnected since its not locking like XLR.

I think the nice thing about using a small rig (ca14--9100--09hr, for example) allows you to set your mics and recorder in places where you can't have your 2LE, 744/702, R4/R44 and have it (hopefully) untouched for the show.

Exactly what I did last night... I clamped the mics up high, out of sight and out of touch, then ran a 6-ft Radio Shack mini headphone extension cable between the CA14 cable and the CA-9100.  I've never tried longer cable runs than that, but adding 6 feet doesn't make any difference that I can tell.  This allowed me to set the 9100 and the R-09HR way out of the way of spilled beer, dancers, etc.  I hit record and left the rig to go join my friends for the rest of the show.  If i had been running a mic stand in that bar, I wouldn't have been able to relax for a second. 

My name is Bevin, and I am a Gear Slut.   And you can sign me up right now for any "phantom version" of anything that Chris comes up with!
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »

Mics first preamp second and when this preamp comes out there are going to be alot of people saying holy shit :)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »

I have been nothing but pleased with Church's mics and his (online) personality.

With any unbalanced mic I REALLY dont recommend anything over 15 feet for a mic cable. That's plenty of footage to run up a stand into a gear bag.

Chris

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
FWIW ive never had anyone mess with my CA gear.  i run the mics kinda high, and run the cable into a crown royal bag which contains the preamp and the recorder, then i just hang it from my stand.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »
FWIW ive never had anyone mess with my CA gear.  i run the mics kinda high, and run the cable into a crown royal bag which contains the preamp and the recorder, then i just hang it from my stand.

Great advice and I never thought about that. no reason to have it go all the way to the ground if you can help it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »

Mics first preamp second

Outstanding.  I'll start saving my money immediately.  :coolguy:

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

Great advice and I never thought about that. no reason to have it go all the way to the ground if you can help it.

For sure...between having people step on gear and the chances of stuff getting spilled on it, if you can keep gear tethered to your stand a couple feet above the floor, that's the way to go.  I've seen a couple of smallish portable 'tables' that can be carried in your bag and then  latch onto a stand.  These look kinda cool too but in the end I'm personally just relying on the overall sturdiness of my PEGZ-2 (with the window cover to monitor levels) to protect everything on the floor.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »

With any unbalanced mic I REALLY dont recommend anything over 15 feet for a mic cable. That's plenty of footage to run up a stand into a gear bag.

Chris

I've run your CA-11s  (both flavors), CA-14s (both flavors) and your CAFS mics with a 20' headphone extension cable with no problems I noticed except once when the cable paralleled some rope lights and I picked up some noise. In fact the Chris Duarte recording you liked was with the 20' cable. When I run your mics on a stand I use a shorter cable. I would think the less cable the better.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Will_S

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »
Agreed, no problem running an unbalanced cable the length (or part of the length) of a mic stand.  Where it can be an issue is if you want to run onstage but keep your recorder far off to the side, or run through the house snake, or clamp to a rafter DFC and run your cables to the wall, etc.  One of my favorite spots to tape I can get in early to clamp my mics invisibly to the center balcony, but the manager likes to save the seats there for paying customers (specifically the ones who stand in line for hours to grab the best spot), so I run my cables far off to the side to leave them open.

Anyway, looking forward to the XLR Church mics.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
Agreed, no problem running an unbalanced cable the length (or part of the length) of a mic stand.  Where it can be an issue is if you want to run onstage but keep your recorder far off to the side, or run through the house snake, or clamp to a rafter DFC and run your cables to the wall, etc.  One of my favorite spots to tape I can get in early to clamp my mics invisibly to the center balcony, but the manager likes to save the seats there for paying customers (specifically the ones who stand in line for hours to grab the best spot), so I run my cables far off to the side to leave them open.

Anyway, looking forward to the XLR Church mics.

Thanks I am working on it. I think we might develop an adaptor for everyone to use with the existing mics first so that nobody feels left out.. But I do want to also make a mini xlr version.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.161 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com