Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U (AT853-like) mics > Visivox pre-amp/battery box > R09HR  (Read 2654 times)

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
So, I tried running a new set of SP-CMC-4U's (with the 'low sensitivity' mod) through a Visivox preamp ($75 off eBay a few years ago) & battery box at the low gain setting, going line-in on an R09HR (input level @ 40 with peaks around -3, and not a lot of bouncing), and it really didn't work so well.  This was a fairly loud rock show (at the Paradise in Boston), and we were right up front, but with the low sense option I wouldn't have expected this to be too much of a problem. 

The waveform looks a little odd (dc offset?), but not really brickwalled, and yet there appears to be a great deal of distortion.

Audio example: http://anthony.tibbs.ca/vhwf.wav

I have not taken a multimeter to the battery box/preamp to verify, but this was a fresh 9V battery so I "assume" it's putting out the requisite power for the mics.  Admittedly this is the first time I've taped with these mics, and my only other mics are much more sensitive CA omnis from 2004 or so that experience tells me would have been way out of their league with this loud concert. 

At first guess, what went wrong here?  This battery box/preamp is admittedly the most suspect, being something of an "unknown", though it has worked fine in other [quieter] situations without fail.  Still...  I gather the R-09HR should be fine, the mics seem to get good reviews (so long as you have the low sensitivity option), so...?

Ideas?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP-CMC-4U (AT853-like) mics > Visivox pre-amp/battery box > R09HR
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:13:32 AM »
I could tell you how bad visivox is, but then I would have to kill you.  I had the exact same problem 6 years or so ago.   

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:05:43 AM »
Dump the visivox and buy this if still available:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127349.0

If it's been sold, order one from Chris Church.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Yeah, I have some of Chris's old omni's (from 2004 or so) and know very well just how good that is going to be.  I see there's some consensus on my suspicion.  All right, time to place some Church orders. :) 

Dump the visivox and buy this if still available:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127349.0

If it's been sold, order one from Chris Church.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com