Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: croakie mics with built in plug in power?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Kattatonia

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
croakie mics with built in plug in power?
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:41:03 AM »
The recorder would be an iriver h120

I'm thinking about getting a set of the Chris Church mics, ones that will fit into a pair of the croakies, But I was wondering is it possible to have them built so a battery box wouldn't be needed, sorry if its a dumb question.

If this is possible, which mics would be the best? does anyone know what this setup might run?

They are actually needed for my husband
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:43:43 AM by Kattatonia »
Lumiz ZS30
Sony PCM-M10 & CA-11 Mics

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: croakie mics with built in plug in power?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
The recorder would be an iriver h120

I'm thinking about getting a set of the Chris Church mics, ones that will fit into a pair of the croakies, But I was wondering is it possible to have them built so a battery box wouldn't be needed, sorry if its a dumb question.

If this is possible, which mics would be the best? does anyone know what this setup might run?

They are actually needed for my husband

I believe Chris can make modifications to some decks' mic inputs that allow you to record louder stuff without a BB.  I am not sure if that's the case for an iRiver. I think it can be done with an R-09HR. 

But honestly, for $40, you can get a small good battery box and not void the warranty on your deck, so you might as well do that if you can.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:19:09 AM »
I believe Chris can make modifications to some decks' mic inputs that allow you to record louder stuff without a BB.  I am not sure if that's the case for an iRiver. I think it can be done with an R-09HR. 

I don't think Chris modifies decks to run his mics without a battery box (it is Sonic Studios that does that, but the mod only works for Sonic Studios mics).

What Chris does it to modify his mics by using a different resistor, so that the mics can be powered optimally by a recorder's plug in power (if the plug in power has enough voltage). I think one of these custom Church mics could run off the iRiver's plug in power, but you would have to ask Chris if the iriver provides enough voltage.

Still I would tend to take acidjack's advice and just use a tiny battery box. You can get one from Chris Church that is tiny & takes up little more room than the 9 volt battery. Plus if you ever got another recorder, you could use the mic line in with the battery box if you wanted to.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »

I don't think Chris modifies decks to run his mics without a battery box (it is Sonic Studios that does that, but the mod only works for Sonic Studios mics).

This is correct about my Sonic Studios 2-piece configured deck system found in the TS Retail Section at:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83254.0;all
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »

Right, but I believe Chris can modify (at least some) of his MICS to run with a stock R09.  A stock iRiver should be possible too since it has higher PIP voltage than an R09, but I don't know if he's ever done that or would be able to without the exact specs or access to the deck.

And for the record, I've taped moderately loud rock shows using 4.7K modded AT853s (which should behave similarly to the CA11s, SPL-wise) straight into an iRiver without distortion.  Might be worth trying, then you can add a battery box if needed (for really loud material that distorts), or a preamp (for really quiet stuff that the iRiver alone can't provide enough noise-free gain for).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:33:38 PM by Will_S »

Offline Kattatonia

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 01:53:12 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies, I think I will go with the battery box as you all have mentioned ( :

I'm kind of new to the world of taping so advice from others is great!
Lumiz ZS30
Sony PCM-M10 & CA-11 Mics

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:45:37 AM »
Do yourself a big favor and get the Church mics AND the Church pre-amp (the CA-9100).  It works as a battery box and a pre-amp.  I think Chris will give you a deal when you buy them as a set (don't quote me on that though).

I recently got some CA-11s (omni and card caps) and the CA-9100 - and for the first time ever, I'm pulling recordings that sound really nice.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »
I think she's aready ordered the battery box. That'll be fine for loud stuff and the box runs a lot longer on a 9 volt. For acoustic, I highly recommend the ST-9100 as well.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.189 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com