Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best ORTF mounting solution?  (Read 14370 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best ORTF mounting solution?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »
boojum asked:

> Now the question is how accurate is the translation by Schoeps from German to English?

I've been Schoeps' primary German-to-English translator for the past few decades, so you can ask me for an unbiased assessment any time ...

The corresponding German sentence is, "Außerdem ist es in Bezug auf die Platzierung des Mikrofons relativ unkritisch und deshalb auch für den noch nicht so erfahrenen oder eiligen Anwender geeignet."

Very literally that means, "Apart from that, it is relatively uncritical with regard to the placement of the microphone, and therefore suitable also for the user who is not yet so experienced, or [who is] in a hurry."

--best regards

By the way, ghellquist is right; the 17 cm spacing wasn't intended to be "head-related." It was determined entirely by experiment.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:27:00 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
So I was thinking of running this at an up coming show. I'm using the shure a27m bar and Busman mics and busman shockmounts.

I "think" i have this setup right.. 17cm from cap to cap angle of 110
<snip>
I just a little confused, is it better to mount on the same plane, or does the vertical setup matter??  ???

The closer to the same plane the better.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline boojum

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
"die Platzierung des Mikrofons relativ unkritisch"   I would have picked up the relative forgivingness of the array from this, as rusty as my German is.  About all I remember is, "Aus, ausser, bei, mit, noch, zeit, von, zu immer nehmen Dativ."  This is of scant help.

Thanks for the input.    ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »
So I was thinking of running this at an up coming show. I'm using the shure a27m bar and Busman mics and busman shockmounts.

I just a little confused, is it better to mount on the same plane, or does the vertical setup matter??  ???

The same plane is better,

But with mics that long you can't - so vertical displacement is fine.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 01:25:12 AM »
But are those cardioids? The symbol on the capsule head seems to have a little rear lobe, like a supercardioid.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
But are those cardioids? The symbol on the capsule head seems to have a little rear lobe, like a supercardioid.

Oooh - very observant - I missed that.

Offline meatballs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
I really love the look, construction,and name (space) of the Grace bar.

So to whoever found that baby, thanks -it was exactly what I was looking for.

Offline E@rl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »

Hypers. Was just fooling around with the placement haven't changed that caps since i did my last tape..

That being said, i was thinking of running hypers in ortf. Is that taboo.. like i said still getting into the game i figured id try it see how it sounds and then try something different especially since i have the different caps.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:15:34 PM by E@rl »
Busman BSC1 K1 K2 K3 K4> BM2p+ mod UA-5> JB3 or MacBook

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 12:26:37 AM »
Not taboo, but certainly not ORTF any more--and depending on the actual pattern of your microphones you'll get a different stereo image and a different impression of the room from what you would get with an ORTF setup.

--best regards

Edited later to add (since there's this vast ocean of empty space next to my photo): Another thing to be aware of is that the term "hypercardioid" is used rather loosely by all but the top-tier microphone manufacturers, and sometimes even by them (e.g. Neumann). True hypercardioid microphones are rather rare. Most microphones that are "more directional that cardioid" are somewhere between supercardioid and hypercardioid in their actual pattern--generally closer to supercardioid. That just seems to sound better and to meet more people's practical requirements. A true hypercardioid is only a short step away from being a figure-8, so it has a considerable rear lobe which can pick up unwanted sound.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:55:37 PM by DSatz »

Offline boojum

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 02:28:24 AM »

Hypers. Was just fooling around with the placement haven't changed that caps since i did my last tape..

That being said, i was thinking of running hypers in ortf. Is that taboo.. like i said still getting into the game i figured id try it see how it sounds and then try something different especially since i have the different caps.

Nothing is taboo.  It is just that in some situations, " . . . results are unpredictable."  Check the "Stereo Zoom" which is a sticky in this forum for angles and ditances on hypers.  You'll have better luck that guessing based on ORTF angles and distances.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 10:58:54 AM »
I really love the look, construction,and name (space) of the Grace bar.

So to whoever found that baby, thanks -it was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks - it was me.

Grace should shortly be coming out with more accessories for the bar; including a bridge to mount a centre mic. and a flying rig.

So keep an eye on the Grace website.

Offline E@rl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »
So i tried it out it did what it was supposed to do sounds like im sitting in the spot i was taping from...

Just a little on the quiet side... i was taping from the soundboard at DeerCreek which is about 30 rows back. dead center. Guess ill have to work the rest of the kinks out.have a listen let me know what you think open to any and all suggestions.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=527228
Busman BSC1 K1 K2 K3 K4> BM2p+ mod UA-5> JB3 or MacBook

Offline meatballs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »
I simply can't wait -- did by chance, anyone see a true production "flight"? at AES.

I have a feeling I will be needing a couple more 8040's :-)

Products like this make big smiles for small town country boys and girls! :-)

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 06:48:02 PM »

<snip>

The closer to the same plane the better.

How critical is this vertical displacement?  I've gone to great lengths to keep the mic bodies just a hair apart in coincident or near coincident pairs.  I looked at that Shure vertical bar at one point and discounted it based on the vertical displacement distance.

Boy, that Grace bar is a thing of beauty, but SOOOO pricey.  I'll stick with the 10 buck bar, a riser or two, and 39 cent plastic protractor....

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 11:15:25 AM »
I use a Windtech, an adjustable stereo bar (K&M) and two clips of different heights (an AKG and one that came with my Pelusos)

Cheap and workable with very little vertical separation.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com