Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Inexpensive Microphone Suggestions for Newbie with Sony PCM-M10  (Read 15459 times)

Offline AlphaDoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi,
I just got a new Sony PCM-M10 and I really like it so far.  I will be trying to tape a couple of outdoor concerts (folk and blugrass) later this summer, and I would like to have some suggestions on a "starter" rig.  I can't spend a whole lot, so I've been looking at matched pairs such as the Samson C02s, Behringer C-4s, Apex 185s, Equation Audio C.103s.  I don't need perfection.  Just cardioid condensors that will outperform the built ins.  I also have to buy a stand, wind sox, umbrella, and a battery powered phantom 48v box for the mics.  I think.  Any help at all to put a budget rig together would be much appreciated.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline AlphaDoug

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Inexpensive Microphone Suggestions for Newbie with Sony PCM-M10
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Thanks, but any other possible suggestions?  I'm kind of stuck with a budget of about $250 for mics and a battery powered phantom 48v power supply, or I need mics that will work with the built in 3v from the mic input.  Any suggestions?

Offline Tedley

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
For less than $300, you can get a Church Audio preamp (CA-9100) and two sets of CA-14 mics, cardiod and omni. No need for phantom power and will give great results. See Team Church Audio thread to listen to recordings with this set-up.

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
Try these: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/AT-MB-4K
The Audio Technica MB4K. Get two of 'em for $150. Great mics, I use 'em in the studio and the taping rig. The best part, NO POWER SUPPLY NEEDED as they each can take a AA battery that supposedly lasts for up to 1200 hours. (they can still use 48v if you don't have batteries) Only downside, they have a switch. I suggest taping it down to avoid accidents. But for the price, it is a great SDC that works very well. Also- here: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/AT-MB-4K-C  For $4 more, get a 15ft cable too.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »
The Audio Technica MB4K. Get two of 'em for $150. Great mics

Is the bass any good? They are rated at 80-20,000 which, if true, would sound horribly thin in the bass.

Regardless, I think you'd get better sound & convenience following Tedley's advice. Don't let the small size and reasonable price of the CA-14's fool you. They are great mics.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
The Audio Technica MB4K. Get two of 'em for $150. Great mics

Is the bass any good? They are rated at 80-20,000 which, if true, would sound horribly thin in the bass.

Regardless, I think you'd get better sound & convenience following Tedley's advice. Don't let the small size and reasonable price of the CA-14's fool you. They are great mics.
Yeah, actually its pretty good. I was skeptically at first too, but its decent. I like them.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »
a pair of cheap naks, maybe?

Offline AlphaDoug

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 01:11:13 AM »
Where can you find Nakamichi mics these days?  Does anyone have any experience with the Apex 185s, or Karma Audio K-10s?

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 07:28:34 AM »
Keep your eye on ebay and put a post in the yard sale would be the best places to start. I am not 100% sure they can be had for how much you are wanting to spend, but it can't hurt to look.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
Exceeding your budget somewhat:

Get a Rolls PB224 battery-powered dual mic phantom power supply, which you should be able to get for about $75 shipped.

Then pick up a used pair of ADK SC-T mics, Studio Projects C4's, or Avantone CK1's -- all of which you should be able to get used in the yardsale for about $225 shipped.

As with the suggestion on the Naks, put up an ISO in the yardsale for these mics and see if anything turns up.

Also -- nickspicks has really been recommending the M-Audio Pulsars, which can be picked up new from ebay for as little as $240 a pair shipped.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
Not cheap, but inexpensive for what you get is my DSM-6S/L best for pop/rock being directly powered (perfectly) by M10's mic powering feature.

More info on this with recording sample links in TS retail section at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83254.0;all
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:26 PM »
I would have been totally happy with my CAD e70's for a starter rig. I have a few show's up on archive that were recorded with the e70's.
Here is just a straight e70 pull of mine. http://www.archive.org/details/btf2009-10-03.cad.e70
otherwise keep your eyes peeled for a cheap ua5 in the YS. They pop up for ~100 bucks every now and then (jump on one when they do). Or (a bit above your budget) look into the at4041's I think they are very underrated here but perform very well for me. I have seen them pop up on ebay as a pair for 250-300 a pair. here is another pull of mine just straight up 4041's. http://www.archive.org/details/btf2009-08-21.at4041

I would not mind having my ua5 back and running it with my 4041's. I could probably be satisfied with that setup for quite some time but just like any hobby you get addicted and start to spend a bit more money than you originally thought you would. So keep in mind once you buy one rig be prepared to get 'hooked' and end up spending your tax return to fund a new recorder or pair of mic's haha..

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
I have just grabbed some new mics and will be selling my ADK SC-T mics with card and omni caps.  Let me know if you are interested. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Eliezer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I won't join a club that would have me as a member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:16:26 PM »
Really .... what is wrong with the built-in mics on the Sony? 

What tiny bit of improvement will you get with hundreds of $$ of outboard mics, preamps, cables and batteries?  Especially compared to the gazzilion hassles of lugging and shlepping? 

You are recording the PA system, for corn's sake!  Isn't that why you bought a good portable recorder in the first place? 

Wasn't Michele Shocked's "Campfire" CD recorded with a portable Walkman cassette or a Minidisc?  Didn't Springsteen record "Nebraska" on a Teac Portastudio 144?

Lighten up, bothers and sisters.  Forget all this nonsense and enjoy the music!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com