Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Countryman B3 caps, which one to use?  (Read 4184 times)

Offline eric66

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Countryman B3 caps, which one to use?
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:37:11 AM »
I've just ordered a set of 2 Countryman B3's to a minijack.
They will be delivered with 3 different caps,
provide flat, bright and very bright high-frequency enhancement. I was wondering which one
to use for recording a gig.
Doe anyone has experience with using the different caps and which one is prefered?

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Countryman B3 caps, which one to use?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
Only one way to find out for sure:  try 'em all.  From the looks of the frequency response graphs (PDF data sheet), I'd probably skip Very Bright outright, use Flat for when I'm up close, and Bright when I'm a bit farther back.  Only your ears can tell you which is best for your purposes and preferences.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
I've only ever used the flat caps and am generally pleased with their sound. Experimentation can help find what works best for you, but even at a distance, the flat caps sound plenty crisp to me. I'll see if I can dig up a sound sample and post a link later.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »
I have bright caps only, but plan on getting flat caps.

Warning, subjective assessment follows..
An obvious point of comparison is the DPA 406x mini omnis, with which I am quite familiar.  I've run comparisons between B3 (+bright cap) and 4060(+soft boost grid).  The specifications for the B3 bright cap and 406x soft boost grid show approximately the same +3dB response in the treble, and since I almost always use the soft boost grids on the DPAs I figured that comparison is appropriate.

To me, the 4060+soft grid sounds like it has a bit more of a broad, high shelf boost compared to the B3+bright cap, so it sound somewhat brighter and more extended overall.  The B3 sounds like it has less of that broad boost, but more of a peaking resonance somewhere in that region. Some have mentioned that they hear a fatiguing high frequency resonance with the DPAs.  Subjectively, I hear that with the B3+bright cap much more than the 4060+soft boost.  I assume that those who prefer the B3 in that case are probably using the flat cap which may not produce that resonance or whatever it is, or that their hearing perception differs significantly from my own.

I plan to do additional comparisons once I get some flat caps for the B3s.  To be clear about what I listen for and how I use these, I do not expect the B3+flat cap to have the same response as the 4060+soft boost. Instead I will be listening for the absence of that resonance or whatever it is, with the expectation that I will then be able to EQ the resulting frequency response to my preference.  My ultimate test for mic preference is that which provides me the cleanest recording which I can mold as required.  If I can't easily manipulate the resulting recording into what I want, it doesn't matter to me if that mic's raw frequency response is slightly closer to the desired target than another mic which does allows me the freedom to dial things in perfectly.  That's my way of working and assessing these things. Others have different but no less valid priorities, such as which mic's raw response sounds closer to what they want, for the way they record most material, without any other editing.

I'm with Brian on generally wanting a flatter response up close and a slight diffuse type boost farther away.  I'm willing to do that tailoring with EQ if it works better for me than changing caps/grids, so I'm really looking for the cap that does the least harm. Like he says, best way to find out is to try them yourself.

Since I never use the high boost grid on the 4060 (far too peaky) I imagine would not use the very bright cap on the B3 either. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
I have the flat B3 caps aswell and since I´m a sucker for that sweet sizzle bump I strongly prefer to EQ the raw recordings and add a peak 0f ~+4 db around 9K HZ, so if you don´t mind some EQing go for the flat caps and mould the sound to your preference!

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:07 PM »
Here's a 24-bit flac file that I think is a pretty good example of the B3 sound. Flat caps, windscreens, split 3', EQ'd a bit on the low end and for stereo image.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/on0v0b

EDIT: Venue was an outdoor festival, about 100' back from the PA which was a line array, and set up to the right of the mixing desk. Mics were probably 10' high on stand. If anyone wants to hear a non-edited clip, I could put that up later. The stereo image of the raw file sounds odd to me, so I thought I'd quickly post a sample of the EQ'd file instead.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:32:10 AM by CliveStaples »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »
Here's a 24-bit flac file <snip>

Recorded from what distance / location?  What size venue?  Do you have a sample handy without any EQ done?
Roland R-05

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
Raw file: 24-bit flac
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0oqas1
Flat caps, windscreens, split 3', mics were probably 10' high on stand and set up to the right of the mixing desk about 100' back from the PA which was a line array. Venue was an outdoor festival.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:54:22 AM by CliveStaples »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »
Thanks for the additional info and sample, CS.  :coolguy:  Haven't had a listen yet, but hope to do so in the next couple days.
Roland R-05

Offline eric66

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 01:52:26 AM »
Thanks for all the answers, highly appreciated!

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:49:45 AM »
I only ever use the flat caps, and EQ in post if needed.

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »
I only ever use the flat caps, and EQ in post if needed.

Same for me.
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com