Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cardioid Move... from the CA-14's to...  (Read 16441 times)

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cardioid Move... from the CA-14's to...
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
I've been hoping Chris Church might make something that would be an improvement over the CA-14's. *fingers crossed*

I promise by the end of the year I will have a new mic that will be better than the ca-14 but it will be bigger. And not stealth. Well seeing what some people stealth with I guess I should not say you cant stealth with them. They are going to be like a ca-14 on steroids.
Any specs you can share?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
I've been hoping Chris Church might make something that would be an improvement over the CA-14's. *fingers crossed*

I promise by the end of the year I will have a new mic that will be better than the ca-14 but it will be bigger. And not stealth. Well seeing what some people stealth with I guess I should not say you cant stealth with them. They are going to be like a ca-14 on steroids.
Any specs you can share?

AWESOME!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Well, I bought MK4's 20 years ago as part of a development effort that lead to the original RBox design which led to the NBox.   If I amortize the cost it is under $20 per show which is quite reasonable.  I have not felt an overwhelming desire to upgrade except possibly another pair of capsules.  I just purchased a set of ca-14's for my 12 year old son as a starter rig.  There is a noticable difference between recordings but not 10X better.  In my opinion I'd say stick with what you have unless you are going to really go for it.  Otherwise you will still have the urge to upgrade but you will have a second set of mics to sell and potentially take a loss on.  Again, just my opinion.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 06:23:08 PM »
Well, I bought MK4's 20 years ago as part of a development effort that lead to the original RBox design which led to the NBox.   If I amortize the cost it is under $20 per show which is quite reasonable.  I have not felt an overwhelming desire to upgrade except possibly another pair of capsules.  I just purchased a set of ca-14's for my 12 year old son as a starter rig.  There is a noticable difference between recordings but not 10X better.  In my opinion I'd say stick with what you have unless you are going to really go for it.  Otherwise you will still have the urge to upgrade but you will have a second set of mics to sell and potentially take a loss on.  Again, just my opinion.
Thanks for the input.  I'm sitting on the fence as I'm considering the BeyerDynamics but keep leaning towards my "first pick."   If I can get a good enough deal on the Beyer's that selling them down the road won't be a "real" loss (when funds are more available), then I might make the jump (for about a year or two). My issue is that I prefer the more natural sound of my 4061's and lean towards those as my "first pick" even in situations where the CA-14 cardioids might have served me better.  When I think back to my DPA conundrum, it doesn't make sense to buy something "for now" when I'll just have to make the jump again down the road.  Lucky for me, I didn't take a real hit on the mic sales to get the DPAs but it could've been ugly and I'm willing to bet I won't be able to make the jump this time without the loss.

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I'm sitting on the fence as I'm considering the BeyerDynamics but keep leaning towards my "first pick."   If I can get a good enough deal on the Beyer's that selling them down the road won't be a "real" loss (when funds are more available), then I might make the jump (for about a year or two). My issue is that I prefer the more natural sound of my 4061's and lean towards those as my "first pick" even in situations where the CA-14 cardioids might have served me better.  When I think back to my DPA conundrum, it doesn't make sense to buy something "for now" when I'll just have to make the jump again down the road.  Lucky for me, I didn't take a real hit on the mic sales to get the DPAs but it could've been ugly and I'm willing to bet I won't be able to make the jump this time without the loss.
FWIW, the MC930 (full bodied version of the CK930) was my first serious mic upgrade from the smaller AT853 and I fell in love with it at first sound. I wish it got more use, but I've since become a full blown slut and have a stable of mics - plus I usually opt for the AK40's b/c of the smaller footprint they take up which is often crucial in some venus.

But ultimately I'd say go with your gut. Everyone's ears are different and you should pick the mic that has the sound yours like the best IMO.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:34 PM »

Great to hear Chris! All mics are  >:D .
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
The bodies on the Milab VM-44's are small and more along the lines of the KM100 for size.
They are modular also, offering omni, supercadioid, and cardioid. You can get into a NEW pair for around $1500
I don't think the Beyers ck series are modular. At least there was talk of not being able to buy caps separate.
Correct?
EDIT:
Meaning you can't just buy the caps without buying the cables like every other true modular set.

Page?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
The bodies on the Milab VM-44's are small and more along the lines of the KM100 for size.
They are modular also, offering omni, supercadioid, and cardioid. You can get into a NEW pair for around $1500
I don't think the Beyers ck series are modular. At least there was talk of not being able to buy caps separate.
Correct?
EDIT:
Meaning you can't just buy the caps without buying the cables like every other true modular set.

Page?

Sorry, I thought I'd replied, must have closed the window that day.

1) Yes the caps are physically modular in that they can disconnect from all cables and all cables can also disconnect from the bodies (and the caps can be run without the bodies provided you talk to Jon about a special tinybox).
2) No they are not modular in that you don't buy them separately from the bodies (or "sets" as they are sold in). I've seen individual pieces (but no caps listed publicly) for sale from an American vendor and they barely retailed for $150 a pop when I last looked so you're spending almost 80% of your cash on each cap anyway.
3) They only did cardioids and hypers, I asked once about an omni in the pipeline and they said no.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:46 AM »
Thanks bud.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »

Any specs you can share?

I am actively auditioning capsules as we speak. They will most likely be 16 to 20 mm diaphragms. And be built like the ca-14 but with a bigger windscreen and bigger body there will be a phantom power option for them.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

adrianf74

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 07:58:53 AM »

I am actively auditioning capsules as we speak. They will most likely be 16 to 20 mm diaphragms. And be built like the ca-14 but with a bigger windscreen and bigger body there will be a phantom power option for them.

Interesting news, Chris.  Looks like we all have something to look forward to.

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
SP-CMC-9 ? Recently heard a very nice recording made by those  :)
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

adrianf74

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
SP-CMC-9 ? Recently heard a very nice recording made by those  :)
Nah... again, similar in class to the AT-933/943 and I owned the 933's (SP-CMC-8's) back in the day.  There was a thread while back about CMC-8 vs CMC-9 and most people said to go with the 8 or even the 853.  The 853 is a good little mic but, again, not a worthy move from the CA-14's.   

I know Chris has said he plans to release a larger capsule mic later in the year.   I'm thinking I might stick around to see what this is gonna be like.   I'd love nothing more than to run some MK4/22 Schoeps via a TinyBox and CMR but I can't justify a $2500 jump for the number of times a year I run my cardioids.  Out of the last 20 shows I've rolled on, I've used the cards twice.  One was at an arena show from the lower bowl.  The other show was in a hockey arena (smaller 2000 capacity "bowl" setting).   And, those are two of my least favourite sounding shows.   That being said, the 4061's never disappoint (save for the people who can't STFU but I'd still be hearing them on the cards as well).

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »

Keep up the good work Chris! I'm looking forward to see what you come up with

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
So, what have you decided on ??? If you *LOVE* the sound of the mk4/mk41/etc then I say GO FOR IT. You only live once and can resell for what you put into them. I also LOVE my Busman BSCS mics. Very sweet sound thru my LB w/ Output Transformers ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com