Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split Omnis  (Read 19007 times)

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:Split Omnis
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2004, 08:15:20 PM »
"do they make any hardware that you can use to run 3' or so that doesn't require making it yourself?"

With Schoeps actives, you can use 2 x NOS bars with the M-S mount.

Eric
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2004, 08:17:11 PM »
you could do that, though I might run something a bit more directional in the middle... perhaps a hyper, even a shotgun.

the Oade's did a few 4 mic mix tapes of the GD in the 80's, 2 split omni's+2 hypers x/y 90*... some of them sound very nice.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2004, 08:21:03 PM »
For thoes that want to run split omnis, you could try somthing like this: http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=18307;start=15 scroll down to the middle of the page... Its a boom arm with two sections, but instead of both of the sections being out like how you would triditionally think of a boom stand, I made one stick out the bottom, and I clamp to that side...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2004, 08:23:49 PM »
"do they make any hardware that you can use to run 3' or so that doesn't require making it yourself?"

With Schoeps actives, you can use 2 x NOS bars with the M-S mount.

Eric

yea, that would work if I had some mk2 or 3's, but I have 41's and a set of ADK TL's to run the omni's with
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2004, 08:25:10 PM »

Chris - are you going too?

-Ryan

Probably not, didn't get any tix or anything.   Not really my type of music.  My dad was semi-interested in going just for ABB(they aren't playing the Portland date) but he usually isn't much for traveling very far to see a band.   But who knows, it is on a Saturday so that always makes it temping and my sister goes to school in Ellensburg so could combine it to a visiting trip.   So there is a slight chance we could end up going.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2004, 08:47:34 PM »

Chris - are you going too?

-Ryan

Probably not, didn't get any tix or anything.   Not really my type of music.  My dad was semi-interested in going just for ABB(they aren't playing the Portland date) but he usually isn't much for traveling very far to see a band.   But who knows, it is on a Saturday so that always makes it temping and my sister goes to school in Ellensburg so could combine it to a visiting trip.   So there is a slight chance we could end up going.

Yep, I'm mainly going for ABB myself.  Haven't seen the Dead since Jerry.

Hopefully we'll be cool FOB for at least the ABB set since they are pretty cool about taping from anywhere.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2004, 08:53:19 PM »
So basically with omnis you either need good seperation OR a baffle right?  
-Kevin

Kevin:  I disagree with this and in fact think that exaggerated separation or over-baffling may exaggerate the results.  It seems to me that running 6 feet apart would be like looking into one of those mirrors that makes a tall man look short and a skinny man look fat.  I've run omnis on stage spread 17 or so cm and 180 degrees (i.e. each cap pointed out toward a different side of the stage) and also from the ts INSIDE, spread at 17or so cm and caps pointed at the stacks with fairly realistic separation.   You might want to give it a shot before your main gigs.  My results make me question whether the actual omnis specs would actually be reflected on a tape made in our situations.  Not really a pro at running omnis, but these are my 2 cents fwiw.  Good luck, but give the lazy man's, one stand omni approach a shot. ;D  
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2004, 08:57:30 PM »
you could run two boom stand arms on either side of a T-bar and theoretically get 6' or so...

-------0       0----------
         |____|

(0------- are boom stand arms, the U shaped thingy at the bottom is an AKG t-bar)
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Swampy

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2004, 09:21:46 PM »
some more pics for creekfreak;
Here is the original boom that I have:

boom extended

Just slide half to the opposite side

has a 5/8 thread, so fits right on the top of my taping stand

mic on thread on closest side, other mic clamped to the opposite side

Offline Swampy

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2004, 09:23:15 PM »
BTW, they are split about 3 1/2 / 4 feet... I need to measure it exactly though...

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2004, 10:22:05 PM »
Nice work Alex. :)    Personally I'd be a little hesitant to run the TLs like that....they're heavy.  I'm a worry wart anyway. :P

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2004, 10:54:34 PM »
do they make any hardware that you can use to run 3' or so that doesn't require making it yourself?

Stock?  Dunno.  But APIC will custom make just about anything for you.

I have a 2'-6' variable extension they made for me.  Threaded 5/8"-27 female on the bottom, male on the top.  Cost me about $60 if I recall correctly.  Not outrageous, but not cheap either.  I may just try to find myself a 5/8"-27 male barrel so I can run split omnis with this thing (or I could always clamp one side).  Still gotta work out how I attach it to the top of my stand, but...I think I'll figure something out.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2004, 11:15:53 PM »
very very similar results, but the j-disc really cuts the mud and boom out of omni recordings due to its better isolation.

So much so that I think more people would run omnis indoors if they heard the results!!

I know this is how I should be running at the Fox... omni's sound great down there but I really shouldn't be pushing my luck by running split's.

i'm thinking split omnis at Mississippi Nights. Clamp one on the post and throw the other on my stand opposite side. think this would work Tim? it's gonna be close to 6' or more might be too wide that close. i should experiment with the Ozomatli this sunday and see if i can even get away with it. they allow taping right?

Offline Swampy

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2004, 11:17:55 PM »
Nice work Alex. :)    Personally I'd be a little hesitant to run the TLs like that....they're heavy.  I'm a worry wart anyway. :P
Ya, I donno if Id throw TLs up there split 4 feet... Mabe 2 feet would be work...

Offline Tim

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2004, 11:00:12 AM »
So basically with omnis you either need good seperation OR a baffle right?  
-Kevin

Kevin:  I disagree with this and in fact think that exaggerated separation or over-baffling may exaggerate the results.  It seems to me that running 6 feet apart would be like looking into one of those mirrors that makes a tall man look short and a skinny man look fat.  I've run omnis on stage spread 17 or so cm and 180 degrees (i.e. each cap pointed out toward a different side of the stage) and also from the ts INSIDE, spread at 17or so cm and caps pointed at the stacks with fairly realistic separation.   You might want to give it a shot before your main gigs.  My results make me question whether the actual omnis specs would actually be reflected on a tape made in our situations.  Not really a pro at running omnis, but these are my 2 cents fwiw.  Good luck, but give the lazy man's, one stand omni approach a shot. ;D  

on stage you wouldn't want to run very wide. Likewise at the Fox in Boulder I ran 5 feet and it is certainly too wide for being 18' from the stage with a wide PA.

but with a huge ampitheatre sized PA, that far back from the stage 6 feet shouldn't be a problem.

it's a function of the size/width of the PA and your distance from it.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com