Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split Omnis  (Read 19053 times)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re: Split Omnis
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2004, 09:55:20 AM »
What I did was build my own 1 meter bar. I use the Shure vertical mount, and put the cards (sr-77's) on them, then I run two Omni's (QTC-1's) 1 meter from each other on my home built wooden bar.

If you opt to use four mics, you must almost always use some sort of headphones to really mix on-location. Last week I left my earphones at home and tried to do it by the seat of my pants (ie. flying blind), the tape sucks and I apologized to my buddy whose band it was that I was recording. Mixing is probably the hardest thing to do with the four mics out in the field.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2004, 11:18:34 AM »
Hmmm. I just got some omni caps for my AT933s and my next outing is the Ropeadope NMS at the Fox. I'm toying wityh the idea of running them for that with an 18" gooseneck (from SP) I've had laying around for years. I may even be able to come up with some kind of baffle (ghetto style most likely) between now and then.
I'm concerned with being at the Fox, and in the section which is right by the bar. I love that sweet omni sound when it's good, but I also hate a lot of chatter. With all the different acts and the long duration of the NMS, it seems there may be some people there waiting out bands they don't give a shit about which would raise the chatter level considerably.

I'm also considering hypers just for the chatter factor. Then I've got the ol' standby cards too...

Thoughts?
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
Re:Split Omnis
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2004, 06:16:57 PM »
I know this is how I should be running at the Fox... omni's sound great down there but I really shouldn't be pushing my luck by running split's.

I love running 4061's about 24" - 36" spaced at the Fox in StL. I use a wire hangar and cut the bottom rung at the halfway point and then even out the bends until I have a very wide and short "T". I tape this to a stand or surface and then attach the 4061's with the supplied clips.

Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
Re:Split Omnis
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2004, 07:45:10 PM »
I know this is how I should be running at the Fox... omni's sound great down there but I really shouldn't be pushing my luck by running split's.

I love running 4061's about 24" - 36" spaced at the Fox in StL. I use a wire hangar and cut the bottom rung at the halfway point and then even out the bends until I have a very wide and short "T". I tape this to a stand or surface and then attach the 4061's with the supplied clips.

nice!
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2004, 01:25:17 PM »
In "classic" split mode, used for years recording classical music, the rule was approximately 1 metre apart. This gave the best overall image of the music while it prevented the "hole in the middle" effect that occurs when you spread omni's too wide.

but we're talking about being much farther from the sound source and recording off of a wide pa... totally different situation than classical recordings.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2004, 02:01:07 PM »
In "classic" split mode, used for years recording classical music, the rule was approximately 1 metre apart. This gave the best overall image of the music while it prevented the "hole in the middle" effect that occurs when you spread omni's too wide.

but we're talking about being much farther from the sound source and recording off of a wide pa... totally different situation than classical recordings.

Not necessarily. In some of the older recordings done back in the 40's and 50's and even well into the 60's these configurations and distances approximate to what we have were being done with great results.

I think the proof is in the pudding. Go check out some of the shows I put on archive.org (just do a search for QTC-1, I think I'm the only person who has posted a show using these mics) and listen for yourself. Yes, there is more to it than just spacing, and more to it than just mixing, it's a combination of right location, right mixing techniques, and of course right spacing. Either way, listen and judge for yourself.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com