Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk medium/high end stealth cardioid mics...  (Read 19601 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Let's talk medium/high end stealth cardioid mics...
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 11:15:25 AM »
Anyone have any stories stelathing the 1290's? They are small but still a little bigger/longer than other stealth options.

I've stealthed numerous times.  What kind of stories do you want to hear? :)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 01:07:43 PM »
Anyone have any stories stelathing the 1290's? They are small but still a little bigger/longer than other stealth options.

I've stealthed numerous times.  What kind of stories do you want to hear? :)

The ones with a happy ending (not that kind of happy ending) and a sweet tape. :)

Just run them into a kangol? Did you shorten the cables? I read they come in 12' length. Did you stealth the V3 or was this before you got it?

I have only stealthed the V3 once, but it was a "team stealth" kind of thing.  The stealth tapes I've made with the 1290s were in a Kangol, into a MixPre and then a JB3.  I really didn't try any kind of configs in the hat, just threw 'em in and pressed record. ;)

Never been busted for stealthing, so I guess they're all happy endings. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 03:28:51 PM »
A cheaper Schoeps Alternative would be Schoeps MK4 > Nbox... About $2k if you can find a used pair of MK4s. That includes a pre-amp too.

Retired Taper

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 09:52:27 PM »

Aren't the bluelines kinda the kid sister of the ULS? Or have I just said something that'll get me slapped?

There are three significant differences between the ULS and the Blue Line that have relevancy to stealthing, especially if the choice stands between buying food or getting a mic set up. 

A) Unlike the ULS caps, the Blue Line capsules are electret
B) The Blue Line has sufficient performance in the integral active buffer to allow direct wiring ..
C) If one stares at a BL capsule for a while the bayonett connector sure starts to look like a cable exit port...

I.e all your really need are a pair of capsules, some 10 feet of strong starquadcable, a 9 Volts battery box and some epoxy. Now granted, the resale value might be slight :-)  but it's a rugged setup tolerant of both humidity and high sound pressure levels.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 10:17:42 PM by jk labs »

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 09:59:09 PM »
Not sure I understood all of that, but are you saying that someone with decent soldering skills could make this an affordable DIY stealth project?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 11:18:27 PM »
Not sure I understood all of that, but are you saying that someone with decent soldering skills could make this an affordable DIY stealth project?

It depends a little on your definition of "decent" I guess : -)

But AKG manages so it can't be impossible :)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 04:36:05 AM »
I like my AT853s, but the mod460s own them in every respect aside from size and price.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 05:29:01 AM »
I like my AT853s, but the mod460s own them in every respect aside from size and price.

traitor!!!  ;D

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 05:41:40 AM »

It depends a little on your definition of "decent" I guess : -)

But AKG manages so it can't be impossible :)

diy projects are the best...but i have a feeling that i'm not smart enuf to do that project.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 06:31:16 AM »

traitor!!!  ;D

marc

never!

I'm just saying ;)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2004, 09:12:14 AM »
I'm very happy with my (low-end) Sound Professional CMC2s, which are based around AT831 cardioid mics. They work very well recording high level bassy rock bands in small clubs, which accounts for 90% of my stealthing.

However, the upgrade bug is biting. I've read through this thread with interest, and have some questions:

Of the following:

Sound Pro SPCMC4s (based on AT853s). Standard or phantom?
Audia Technica 853s (not from Sound Professionals, RX model?) >MP2
Shoeps CCM (clips available??)
Core Sound stealthy cards

Forget budget right now - which would be best for me? I want a three box solution:

Mics > battery box or preamp > Nomad JB3

The Audix 1245s look too large for my normal use, which is clipped to my collar. The CCMs also look a little large for a non-hat application.

I would like to stay with Cards, or maybe hypers (so I'm eliminating DSMs, and 4060s), but am happy with the internal A>D of the JB3 for now. From reading this site the phantom AT853s are probably the ones to go for, but from where?
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2004, 09:15:52 AM »
There are some in the yard sale right now... if you go new, the best price I found was fullcompass.com;  they gave them to me for $157 each, which RokPunk (I think he's a AT dealer) said is only a few bucks over cost...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004, 09:18:35 AM »
Oh, and I wouldn't discount the micro's just yet- I saw them for the first time the other day (Speshul Ed's)- and the pics seem to be misleading to me.  In the pics, they look like they are blunt to me - more round than long, but they are more like the size of a cigarette.  I totally think you could clip those to a collar.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2004, 09:27:36 AM »
they fit in the at's clips :D - might need a couple tho on each side, but they'd totally work.

i'd definitely go phantom cuz you can get higher spl's.  the 853's i think are really nice for the price.

schoeps ccm's don't have the extra body to worry about like the mk4s, but definitely can't be clipped easily.  you might have to rig something up in a diy project.  however, i'd say they probably sound the best out of the group of stealth mics...atleast until you match them with the dpa 4022's.  then its a whole nother story.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2004, 09:34:31 AM »
Hmm...still searching the net. The MP2 is discontinued, but looks a little large for stealthing. Is this the smallest option for a preamp?
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com