Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA4061's - Questions  (Read 19587 times)

Offline madman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA4061's - Questions
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2006, 03:47:10 PM »
I think it'd be cheaper to go with new 406Xs and a DPA box over the $990 charged for the basic HEB set at Core Sound.  Plus, you don't have to deal with a grumpy man on the phone.

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2006, 05:32:10 PM »
I'm going to be in the market for a pair of 4060's shortly.
If anyone regrets their's not getting sufficient exercise, please get in touch.  ;)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2006, 05:47:28 PM »
save your money val, sell the SBM>M1 and buy an ACM660.
that will yeild you better results than new mics.
;-)

Offline Josephine

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »
;-)

What's an ACM660, Nick?  How big?  How much?  :)

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2006, 06:58:57 PM »
;-)

What's an ACM660, Nick?  How big?  How much?  :)
Here's a good intro the ACM PMD660:

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/PMD-660.html
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2006, 08:23:51 PM »
;-)

Sell a nice 16 bit A/D and recorder for another flavor of 16 bit and you'll get better results than new mics?   ^-^

The hypers you have Val are pretty sweet, but adding another mic into the mix would help in the right situations.  Having a versatile seletion of mics is a much better investment than jumping from one 16bit recorder to another, but that's just my opinion.

Then buy an Oade modded 660...  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:27:24 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Josephine

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2006, 08:35:59 PM »
I took a quick look at the 660 -- it's just too big.  I don't doubt how wonderful it sounds; however, it's just too large for my purpose.
I think I've got my heart set on the 4060's.  I really enjoy the DPA sound and like how small they are.  I will be able to bring the 4060's into shows I would otherwise not tape.

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2006, 08:36:42 PM »
in fact, i'd go as far as to say that the 4060 could easily be the best universal concert taping mic available for many reasons, but the big one being consistantly pleasing results, as long as you can position yourself favorably.

1. easy to run
2. easy to power
3. easy to hide, if necessary
4. versitile in that you can run omnis in many ways
5. they produce ! 

Ive run them into shitty gear (line in on a JB3, for example) and high end gear (v3, dpa pre, etc etc) and they excell w/everything.

TS's most truthful post ever.    ;D

I love my 4060s.  However, there are rare occassions when I wish I had some hypers... but that's what teammates are for!   :D
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2006, 08:48:37 PM »
I took a quick look at the 660 -- it's just too big.  I don't doubt how wonderful it sounds; however, it's just too large for my purpose.
I think I've got my heart set on the 4060's.  I really enjoy the DPA sound and like how small they are.  I will be able to bring the 4060's into shows I would otherwise not tape.

You could even get away with 4060 > D100 line in for an extra light and compact setup.  You can't go wrong!
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2006, 08:51:15 PM »
the other option that I think looks pretty sweet is that dongle they are making for the mt2496.  That'll power 4060s that are wired to a miniplug.  Although, I don't know how the A/Ds in the MT sound.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »
Might be better just to go with the DPA battery box, or HEB's from CoreSound.  Not much price difference then, when you add up new DPA 406Xs, adaptors, & the cost of a SP 9or other) battery box.
the dpa battery boxes are surprisingly inexpensive, iirc

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Josephine

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2006, 09:20:39 PM »
I've already got an SP battery box that I could use.  Would I be better off with the DPA battery box?
Hadn't even considered running them with my MT (don't know how to use it yet  :P).

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2006, 09:28:39 PM »
I've already got an SP battery box that I could use.  Would I be better off with the DPA battery box?
Hadn't even considered running them with my MT (don't know how to use it yet  :P).

well, I guess it depends.  I think the cheapest way to go is to grab some with lemo connectors on ebay, cut of the connectors, and solder them to a miniplug.   THis would work with the SP bb.  The major disadvantage with this is that the mics are rarely matched - mine from ebay were off by over 3dbs.

Otherwise, if you buy them new, you are probably going to get microdots.  I personally think it would be a waste to cut the microdots off, but it sounds like there are adapters to use to get them to 1/8". 

I can't speak to a sound quality difference, but from what I read (and what I understand) is that numerically the DPA gear should sound better, but I really don't know for sure.  I really liked both setups I had, but I much prefer having the matched mics w/ mma6000.  I'd like to get an MPS box at some point.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2006, 09:42:24 PM »
Well crap...did i downgrade mics when I went from HEB (4060s) to 4061 / MMA6000??  Having taped a few shows in various settings I think I like the 4061s better then the 4060s.  I think it sounds better...Im sure alot of it has to do with going from a coresound battery box to the MMA6000.  Any thoughts? 

Josephine, I do have a HEB (4060) + battery box / bass filter for sale in the yard sale.  Its only one mic as I busted the other one and never got a replacemnt but I'm selling it cheap $250 so even after buying another mic it will still be a pretty good deal.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2006, 10:03:58 PM »

well, I guess it depends.  I think the cheapest way to go is to grab some with lemo connectors on ebay, cut of the connectors, and solder them to a miniplug.   THis would work with the SP bb.  The major disadvantage with this is that the mics are rarely matched - mine from ebay were off by over 3dbs.

Otherwise, if you buy them new, you are probably going to get microdots.  I personally think it would be a waste to cut the microdots off, but it sounds like there are adapters to use to get them to 1/8". 

I can't speak to a sound quality difference, but from what I read (and what I understand) is that numerically the DPA gear should sound better, but I really don't know for sure.  I really liked both setups I had, but I much prefer having the matched mics w/ mma6000.  I'd like to get an MPS box at some point.

MPS bass roll off mod.  I plan to hack mine up and keep the basic essentials and add a switchable bass filter.  If you plan on buying new, or a pair with microdots, the MPS boxes are a definite consideration.

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=105&topic_id=275&mesg_id=275&page=2
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:13:32 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com