Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA4061's - Questions  (Read 19586 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: DPA4061's - Questions
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2006, 10:12:42 PM »
I've already got an SP battery box that I could use.  Would I be better off with the DPA battery box?
Hadn't even considered running them with my MT (don't know how to use it yet  :P).

Ooooh...

The DPA power boxes supply the mics w/5v, the microdot>xlr adaptors supply the mics with 5v when used with phantom power.  I think someone on this board was using the MT for phantom for the DPA's, it spits out about 5v if I'm thinking correctly.  You might not even need a battery box, perhaps just the right connectors or adaptors.  :hmmm:
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2006, 10:17:17 PM »
I've already got an SP battery box that I could use.  Would I be better off with the DPA battery box?
Hadn't even considered running them with my MT (don't know how to use it yet  :P).

Ooooh...

The DPA power boxes supply the mics w/5v, the microdot>xlr adaptors supply the mics with 5v when used with phantom power.  I think someone on this board was using the MT for phantom for the DPA's, it spits out about 5v if I'm thinking correctly.  You might not even need a battery box, perhaps just the right connectors or adaptors.  :hmmm:

Cool . . . . my second rig is starting to take (mental) shape.  ;)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2006, 11:30:40 PM »
:D

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MIC-POWER

This module will power your microphones with 12 volts of bias power

That might be too much, I talked to someone at DPA about powering the mics/home brew bat boxes, I think he said 9v's is about the max.  Remember that the specs show Min. 5 V - max 50 V through DPA adapter, but the key word is through the adaptor, without the adaptor anything too far from 5V might fry them.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2006, 11:43:41 PM »
My DPA batt box outputs 9v.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2006, 11:46:48 PM »
I can't speak to a sound quality difference, but from what I read (and what I understand) is that numerically the DPA gear should sound better, but I really don't know for sure.  I really liked both setups I had, but I much prefer having the matched mics w/ mma6000.  I'd like to get an MPS box at some point.
I have sequential serial # 4061s, they sound similar as far as I can tell, but are off about 2.5db.  I think the DPA production spec allows a +/- 3db variance from some standard.  Or +/- 1.5db...I can't remember.  I'm sure there is a measure for frequency response as well, but I'm not sure.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2006, 07:18:06 AM »
Val, the 660 is the size of a brick.  its not that big at all.  worth it for the superior sound it yeilds.

:)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2006, 07:30:25 AM »
:D

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MIC-POWER

This module will power your microphones with 12 volts of bias power

That might be too much, I talked to someone at DPA about powering the mics/home brew bat boxes, I think he said 9v's is about the max.  Remember that the specs show Min. 5 V - max 50 V through DPA adapter, but the key word is through the adaptor, without the adaptor anything too far from 5V might fry them.

wow, my bad! I was under the assumption that it just used the power from the mic output from the MT, which isn't anywhere close to 12v, let alone 9v.   I know some people here have made one that does exactly what I'm saying (Freelunch).... but this one clearly uses an additional battery. 

Scratch my bad advice, and thanks for catching it Genghis! +T in 12.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »
wow, my bad! I was under the assumption that it just used the power from the mic output from the MT, which isn't anywhere close to 12v, let alone 9v.   I know some people here have made one that does exactly what I'm saying (Freelunch).... but this one clearly uses an additional battery. 

It *might* be bad, it might work totally fine, but I'd look into before just to be safe. 

backatcha

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2006, 03:51:02 AM »
why not just get some sort of external mic powering unit?  batt box/pre/whatever, they're not any hard to get through security at all.  just use the force homie!
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2006, 10:52:30 AM »

It *might* be bad, it might work totally fine, but I'd look into before just to be safe.

I wouldn't even risk it, personally.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »
The connector is not proprietary its made by TYCO electronics but can be purchased from DPA in Colorado for $18 each

new DPA4061's have a proprietary connector on them called a microdot... it looks like a little tiny cable tv coax cable...   The way that you can use your sound pros bb is to solder 4061's (presumably from ebay) onto a stereo miniplug.

406x's are great mics.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »
I am new to the 4061 game.  I have the SP Powered Dongle and ran it recently ino my MT.  I didn't "fry" my mics, but wonder what "fried" mics would sound or be like.  Again, not having a lot of information or knowledge, what about the MicroDot > XLR adaptors?  Those would then plug into say a PS2 with 48v, or is this something people don't do?  I spoke to Chris at SP and he said the DPAs would be fine.  He also said, which I have read everything to the contrary, I could use my SP AT853s with the powered dongle and it would not cause problems.  Everything everyone writes says 9v is the max for the AT853s.  I think my confusion lies in Phantom Powering of mics.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2006, 03:52:26 PM »
I believe the XLR adapters step the voltage down to 9v from 48v, so you can use a standard 48v phantom source.

RebelRebel

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2006, 03:55:15 PM »
I am new to the 4061 game.  I have the SP Powered Dongle and ran it recently ino my MT.  I didn't "fry" my mics, but wonder what "fried" mics would sound or be like.  Again, not having a lot of information or knowledge, what about the MicroDot > XLR adaptors?  Those would then plug into say a PS2 with 48v, or is this something people don't do?  I spoke to Chris at SP and he said the DPAs would be fine.  He also said, which I have read everything to the contrary, I could use my SP AT853s with the powered dongle and it would not cause problems.  Everything everyone writes says 9v is the max for the AT853s.  I think my confusion lies in Phantom Powering of mics.

yes, that would be fine. I did it all the time when I owned 4061s. Like madman said, the P48 adapters step down the voltage from 48v to 9v that the DPAs can use.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com