Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation  (Read 18612 times)

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Portable Mic Stand Recommendation
« on: September 02, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
Hi,

I am looking for a new mic stand for my AKG C1000s. I have a crappy 9' mic stand that is just so darn heavy and big to carry around. :(
I would love something that shrinks down to nothing and made from lightweight aluminum. 

I searched this forum but nothing was readily apparent.

Is anything out there that shrinks down VERY small in size, about 8' or higher, and VERY lightweight?

Thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
The best height v. compact closed size stand I've found is the Bogen 3373.  Not as tall as you'd like, it maxes out ~7-1/2' using its narrowest, tallest footprint, but folds down to 19" (far smaller than any others I've found).

Edit to add:  To mount your stereo bar on the top of this stand, you'll want a Bogen 5/8" stud | 3/8" male thread Rapidapter and a 3/8" > 5/8" thread adapter.

Edit again to add:  I rarely find myself needing / wanting to run more than ~7', so the 3733 works just fine for me.  For those rare occasions I want more height, I have a ~20" Bogen Heavy-Duty Flex Arm.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:36:26 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
Thanks so much! It definitely looks lighter and smaller!

However, what i read it is only like 6' tall.  Which is a bit short side for my modest needs.
Any other recs?

Thanks again!! :d

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 03:07:56 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 03:12:26 PM »
What about this one? It looks very small when broken down and light too...

How do i tell what thread I need for my mic t-bar? I want something that has the correct thread size so I don't have to add to the weight:

http://www.adorama.com/SALSC8.html

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »
Your t-bar is probably a 5/8", just like Skalinder said.  With the stand you posted, just get the 3/8">5/8" adapter, also in Brian's post.   Considering the weight, the adapter can't weigh enough to make a difference, and I personally haven't seen a light stand with a 5/8" threaded post.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=400109&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I use those with my lightstand.  I just screw them into my T-bars and Vert bar (making sure the screw attachments are sticking out so i can remove them if needed) .  Works like a charm for me...and at $1.75 it's an option that can't be beat.

If you get that aluminum light stand, let us know how it works...I'd be tempted to get one for FOB recording at that price.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 05:59:24 PM »

My initial reaction:  nice find!  But I'm not convinced the specs are correct.  If it has a closed length of 16.7", then that means each telescoping section is no longer than 16.7".  According to the specs and pics, there are only 4 sections.  Four sections * a max of 16.7" per section = a max height of 66.8", or 5' 6.8".  Something's amiss here.   :-\
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:16:01 PM »

My initial reaction:  nice find!  But I'm not convinced the specs are correct.  If it has a closed length of 16.7", then that means each telescoping section is no longer than 16.7".  According to the specs and pics, there are only 4 sections.  Four sections * a max of 16.7" per section = a max height of 66.8", or 5' 6.8".  Something's amiss here.   :-\

If the bottom section of the stand doesn't rest on the ground could that explain the extra height?
I just emailed them your post and will let you know what is amiss.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 06:22:29 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:17:10 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=400109&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I use those with my lightstand.  I just screw them into my T-bars and Vert bar (making sure the screw attachments are sticking out so i can remove them if needed) .  Works like a charm for me...and at $1.75 it's an option that can't be beat.

If you get that aluminum light stand, let us know how it works...I'd be tempted to get one for FOB recording at that price.

Thanks so much for this picture. It really helped me understand. I actually think I can steal one of these from my old crapy On-Stage mic stand.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 06:20:58 PM »
If the bottom section of the stand doesn't rest on the ground could that explain the extra height?

Not likely.  Might get an extra 12" if the stand's legs are in a tight footprint, nearly vertical.
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 06:22:59 PM »

Not likely.  Might get an extra 12" if the stand's legs are in a tight footprint, nearly vertical.

I just emailed them your post and will let you know what is amiss.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »
Found the company web site which also lists it as 8'

http://www.savagepaper.com/lightstands.htm

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »
Found the company web site which also lists it as 8'

Yeah, I found it, too.  Same specs that don't seem to add up, though.  I must be missing something here...
Roland R-05

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
For years the ONLY really quiet, very stable, and really low <3 pounds weight is BEYER model 252 (or maybe 352?).  Haven't purchased one for a long time and the model number seems NOT on the product.

Anyway, this is a 5-section folding tripod made from aircraft aluminum, and goes to 3.5-15' height. Colapses to ~28 inches length and is very quiet to not make sounds when handled.  Fullcompass was my supplier, and should be able to get this model even though nobody I know shows BEYER folding tripod in their catalog for a long time.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »
For years the ONLY really quiet, very stable, and really low <3 pounds weight is BEYER model 252 (or maybe 352?).  Haven't purchased one for a long time and the model number seems NOT on the product.

Anyway, this is a 5-section folding tripod made from aircraft aluminum, and goes to 3.5-15' height. Colapses to ~28 inches length and is very quiet to not make sounds when handled.  Fullcompass was my supplier, and should be able to get this model even though nobody I know shows BEYER folding tripod in their catalog for a long time.

I will have to check that out. Any idea on price?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 08:26:28 PM »

Recall ~$150
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »

Recall ~$150

Yikes! Way more than I want to spend on a stand. :(

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 10:52:30 PM »

Recall ~$150

BUT, it's what you want!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 11:53:28 PM »

Check out the rest of the Bogen line to see if any fit your requirements and budget, assuming the 3373 does not.  Alternatively, check eBay for keywords "light" and "stand".  Should find plenty of inexpensive options that might do the trick.  IME, it's tough to find a stand that folds up < 20" and still reaches higher than 7' or so.  I know because I've tried to find one that will fit in the topcase on my motorbike, and mostly failed miserably.  Hence my Bogen 3373 + flexarm / gooseneck solution.  As for handling noise...if you're not bumping into the sucker or have the floor bouncing around beneath you while you record, the handling noise probably won't have an impact.
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 01:15:46 AM »

Check out the rest of the Bogen line to see if any fit your requirements and budget, assuming the 3373 does not.  Alternatively, check eBay for keywords "light" and "stand".  Should find plenty of inexpensive options that might do the trick.  IME, it's tough to find a stand that folds up < 20" and still reaches higher than 7' or so.  I know because I've tried to find one that will fit in the topcase on my motorbike, and mostly failed miserably.  Hence my Bogen 3373 + flexarm / gooseneck solution.  As for handling noise...if you're not bumping into the sucker or have the floor bouncing around beneath you while you record, the handling noise probably won't have an impact.

Yep. but I am still hoping that Savage stand is what the spechs say
:)
I am going to call a couple places, otherwise will go see it next week.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 02:04:49 PM »
I just spoke to the company on the phone.

They said it IS 8' high!!
They claimed that it is 4 sections but it has THREE risers(?) one inside each section which is how it gets to 8'

Is this correct/possible?

If so, this is a DEFINITE winner

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:10:31 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »
Found it for $24 here and cheaper shipping. Again, not sure what is going on here as the first site says 4 sections, but the other sites say 3 sections on this stand.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=1000001493

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 04:39:26 PM »
Found it for $24 here and cheaper shipping. Again, not sure what is going on here as the first site says 4 sections, but the other sites say 3 sections on this stand.

For the money, looks like a excellent value tripod, especially with the 3/8" thread adapter.  I think 10 foot model is the one with 4 sections

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:16 PM »

For the money, looks like a excellent value tripod, especially with the 3/8" thread adapter.  I think 10 foot model is the one with 4 sections

I don't know what to believe.  Adorama lists the 8' as 4 sections, but freestylephoto and the manufacturer say it is 3 sections.  So how can I believe what Adorama said on the phone when their site is totally wrong?  I mean how can you have 4 sections AND 3 risers?
What is a riser anyway?  Aren't all the sections "risers" since they extend out of the the prior tube?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »

1 base + 3 risers = 4 sections ?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »

1 base + 3 risers = 4 sections ?

Hmm, maybe.

I still dont get how it gets to be 8'?  Doesn't make sense

They guy on phone at Adorama said it had 4 sections with 3 risers...??

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 11:40:27 PM »
I had one of those Bogen alumunum stands and it literally fell apart on me over a period of time.  First a piece would fall out, then another piece, then a leg.  Not what I need.  I bought a used 15' AEA stand this year and this thing is solid as a rock.  I feel much more comfortable with one of these than with anything else.  I got mine used for ~$100, but Sonic Sense sells them new as well.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 01:35:56 AM »
I had one of those Bogen alumunum stands and it literally fell apart on me over a period of time.  First a piece would fall out, then another piece, then a leg.  Not what I need.  I bought a used 15' AEA stand this year and this thing is solid as a rock.  I feel much more comfortable with one of these than with anything else.  I got mine used for ~$100, but Sonic Sense sells them new as well.

Good to know thanks. 

Now if someone could tell me their thoughts on the true height of Savage stand? :) I will call another place tomrrow and report back.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »
Now if someone could tell me their thoughts on the true height of Savage stand? :) I will call another place tomrrow and report back.

Can you find out if the manufacture sells them in retail stores?  What about return policy from the online ordering guys?

Seems like it would be woth the risk of the shipping cost to get one and try it out.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »
The 2nd place I called says that the extra 1.5 feet is from the base setup.  1.5 feet from base adjustment?
I gotta see this thing in person but i can't find it locally...

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 11:15:09 AM »
make sure when using alumunum that you don't let people clamp too hard, it'll bend the metal.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 11:20:23 AM »
The 2nd place I called says that the extra 1.5 feet is from the base setup.  1.5 feet from base adjustment?

18" from the base?  I just don't see how that's physically possible.  If the closed length is 16.7", then the legs are no longer than 16.7".  Even with the legs extended completely vertically (i.e. so it's basically a monopod instead of a tripod, which, btw, isn't physically possible given the way the legs swing out), the tallest height gain from the legs would only account for 16.7", still shy of the additional 18" they claim.  More realistically, I'm guessing an extra 12" from the base, which still only gets the total height to 6' 5" by my calculations.  I must be missing something fundamental here...
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »

18" from the base?  I just don't see how that's physically possible.  If the closed length is 16.7", then the legs are no longer than 16.7".  Even with the legs extended completely vertically (i.e. so it's basically a monopod instead of a tripod, which, btw, isn't physically possible given the way the legs swing out), the tallest height gain from the legs would only account for 16.7", still shy of the additional 18" they claim.  More realistically, I'm guessing an extra 12" from the base, which still only gets the total height to 6' 5" by my calculations.  I must be missing something fundamental here...

Yep, this just doesn't make sense.  16.7 * 5 is still just under 7 feet.  How could the manufacturer SOOO mis-represent the height? Hmm, makes me almost believe the first vendor claim that there are 4 sections and 3 risers.  The first vendor is in NYC so I will go see it in person next week as shipping it back and forth is more of a pain.

Grrr, this shouldn't be so complicated! :(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 12:22:41 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 02:54:10 PM »
Had a thought. It might be that the legs extend. This would explain what vendor 1 said about the risers extending and vendor 2 saying the extra height came from adjusting the base.

does this seem possible?

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »
It doesn't look like the legs can extend to me.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline bluevolvo

• Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 06:11:39 PM »
well it doesn't shrink down to as small as it looks like you'd like, but i like my 3364QL.  You never know when lurch is going to be screaming in front of you, and if you don't need the height it's only strudier with less telescope out there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=125206

i'm only 5-7 145# wet and my gear bag is a heck of a lot more weight than this thing.  cursed 12V-7aH SLA!!!

it also might come in handy if you have a situation on your way back to the car after a show in a somewhat questionable part of town...or maybe to beat down a wOOk...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:14:46 PM by bluevolvo »
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 10:57:37 PM »

well it doesn't shrink down to as small as it looks like you'd like, but i like my 3364QL.  You never know when lurch is going to be screaming in front of you, and if you don't need the height it's only strudier with less telescope out there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=125206

i'm only 5-7 145# wet and my gear bag is a heck of a lot more weight than this thing.  cursed 12V-7aH SLA!!!

it also might come in handy if you have a situation on your way back to the car after a show in a somewhat questionable part of town...or maybe to beat down a wOOk...

Thanks, but that is hardly portable :)

I already have a big mic stand and I am looking for something so I can have all my taping gear in a small shoulder bag (makes it easier to go drinking etc after the show). 

Update: I haven't yet gotten to the store to report back on the stand in question. I will likely check it out this Friday.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 04:12:29 PM »
Bump anyone pick one up?

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 11:23:28 AM »
I emailed asking about foot print on the salvage stand and they said The footprint is 33". Is that across or around? Is that small enough for tape form seat because I need to order 1 ASAP.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 01:44:05 PM »
I emailed asking about foot print on the salvage stand and they said The footprint is 33". Is that across or around? Is that small enough for tape form seat because I need to order 1 ASAP.

Even if it's not, just pick up some Gaffer Tape and you can tape it to the seats in front of you quite easily.  Since it's aluminum (can't spell that word to save my life) it will be quite light and that way if the footprint is too large you just leave the legs folded up.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »

Even if it's not, just pick up some Gaffer Tape and you can tape it to the seats in front of you quite easily.  Since it's aluminum (can't spell that word to save my life) it will be quite light and that way if the footprint is too large you just leave the legs folded up.

Sidenote - I have had people be not so cooperative when trying to tape the stand to the seat in front of me. When I asked one couple if that would be OK, the man simply put his arm around his wife's shoulders, negating any area in which to tape my stand. Passive-agressive behavior at its finest!

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 03:46:41 PM »

Sidenote - I have had people be not so cooperative when trying to tape the stand to the seat in front of me. When I asked one couple if that would be OK, the man simply put his arm around his wife's shoulders, negating any area in which to tape my stand. Passive-agressive behavior at its finest!
yeah I feel I am going to upset people when I try to tape from the 6th row in 2 weeks, it sould be fun.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »
Luckily, I've never had any problems with anybody, but I've only taped to the seats twice.  Both times I asked the people if they'd mind and gave them my email address to email me for a copy of the show.  That seems to make them happy.  If you are really worried about it and there's a sound board area in the center of the venue, make nice with the board tech as they'll typically let you set up near their enclosure.  Tell them you saw the band before and sat by the board and the sound was incredible...flattery always helps.  That's where they are during the soundcheck and to see you noticed that the sound is better in that area is good way to ensure they'll let you set up near the board.  Also be polite and say you have really close seats and are worried about bothering people with your stand, the fact that you are "going out of your way" to be sure not to interfere with the audience enjoying the show will earn you bonus points.  An added bonus of doing this is there's usually security by the board, make small talk with them so they recognize who you are and you can rest assured that nobody will be messing with your gear because they'll know it's yours.

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
Luckily, I've never had any problems with anybody, but I've only taped to the seats twice.  Both times I asked the people if they'd mind and gave them my email address to email me for a copy of the show.  That seems to make them happy.  If you are really worried about it and there's a sound board area in the center of the venue, make nice with the board tech as they'll typically let you set up near their enclosure.  Tell them you saw the band before and sat by the board and the sound was incredible...flattery always helps.  That's where they are during the soundcheck and to see you noticed that the sound is better in that area is good way to ensure they'll let you set up near the board.  Also be polite and say you have really close seats and are worried about bothering people with your stand, the fact that you are "going out of your way" to be sure not to interfere with the audience enjoying the show will earn you bonus points.  An added bonus of doing this is there's usually security by the board, make small talk with them so they recognize who you are and you can rest assured that nobody will be messing with your gear because they'll know it's yours.
Thanks for the tips I am going to try to make nice with people upfront so I can run my J disk, if not I will try the board area plan.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2006, 07:50:56 AM »
I am still wondering if anyone picked up one of these yet? Too bad they don't offer it in black, if so I would get one.

Why not tape your stand in between your seat & the next one? I do it all the time with no problems.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2006, 11:37:37 AM »
I am still wondering if anyone picked up one of these yet? Too bad they don't offer it in black, if so I would get one.

Why not tape your stand in between your seat & the next one? I do it all the time with no problems.
I just ordered one

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »
Well, looks like you get to be the guinnea pig. :)

I'm guessing though that the 16.7" closed length is a misprint.  The Savage website lists the 8' LS-C8 as 27" closed, which seems more likely:

I love my APIC 9' stand that folds to ~21".  It's getting a bit beat up and worn and I'd love to replace it, but I don't think APIC (American Photographic Instrument Company) is in business anymore and haven't found a good alternative yet.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »
Ok its 27'' close it has 3 risers + the "base pole" = 4 sections. I got it to go to around 7 feet tall inside with the widest footprint and I ran out of room, it seems like it will go to about 8 feet this way. It looks like its going to be great for FOB taping and the price is right.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2006, 11:17:46 PM »
Ok its 27'' close it has 3 risers + the "base pole" = 4 sections. I got it to go to around 7 feet tall inside with the widest footprint and I ran out of room, it seems like it will go to about 8 feet this way. It looks like its going to be great for FOB taping and the price is right.

Wow thanks! I actually went to the store to check it out in NYC last week, but the store was closed :(
I am going again next week to check it out.

I don't understand your post, does it go to 8' then?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 11:20:02 PM by lbgspam »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2006, 01:31:36 AM »

Wow thanks! I actually went to the store to check it out in NYC last week, but the store was closed :(

From my past experiences, 8 to 10 foot mic height seems just right for most 'stand-up audience' venue recording.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2006, 02:27:59 AM »
B&H decided this would be a good week to shut down. The same week I ordered a stand which I needed for Saturday.

:(
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2006, 12:35:38 PM »
Is anything out there that shrinks down VERY small in size, about 8' or higher, and VERY lightweight?

One thing I noticed on this thread is that the stands that are being suggested are light stands, instead of proper mic stands.

A light stand has no boom arm at the top, which is very useful for positioning a mic.

Perhaps something like this might do the job for you:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUP7701B

A mic stand is something you should pick at a music shop by trying different types. The one I have, which I bought in Brazil where I live, is very practical because the legs fold and slide up, which is very easy to stand back later. But I don't know if it's a copy of another type or original. Can't find an URL for it either. But it's not short when folded: about 3ft high.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »
There is a strong focus at ts.com on concert taping.  In open taping situations, people often like to have their stands at 8-10' high.  It's nice then to have a stand that is 9-12' high so you aren't using the stand at it's highest level (most extended, least stable).

Thus the focus on light stands.  There aren't really any mic stands in that size realm, only light stands.  Plus positioning mics for concert taping doesn't have the same requirements as positioning an on-stage vocal mic for a guitarist to use.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »

I am guessing I hit the ceiling at 7ish.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2006, 07:18:34 PM »

One thing I noticed on this thread is that the stands that are being suggested are light stands, instead of proper mic stands.

A light stand has no boom arm at the top, which is very useful for positioning a mic.

Perhaps something like this might do the job for you:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUP7701B

A mic stand is something you should pick at a music shop by trying different types. The one I have, which I bought in Brazil where I live, is very practical because the legs fold and slide up, which is very easy to stand back later. But I don't know if it's a copy of another type or original. Can't find an URL for it either. But it's not short when folded: about 3ft high.

I already have one of these big huge pain in the butt stands to carry around :).  I am looking for something small and lightweight so i can even go out after the show without having to lug around a ton of taping gear :)

Thanks for the thoughts, but the point of the thread was to get something small so I could put it in my bag with the rest of my taping gear.... :D

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2006, 08:39:55 PM »

I already have one of these big huge pain in the butt stands to carry around :).  I am looking for something small and lightweight so i can even go out after the show without having to lug around a ton of taping gear :)

Thanks for the thoughts, but the point of the thread was to get something small so I could put it in my bag with the rest of my taping gear.... :D

Well the LS-C8 mentioned already gets you to 8' and folds down to 27".

And actually, the boom stand suggestion is not a bad idea.  Here is one that will get you to 8' feet and collapses down to 33".

8' Boom Stand 

If I were using SDs still I would look at either one of these - but I seriously doubt either is adequate to support ADK A51s on supermounts.

As a group we could certainly engineer something, and a machine shop could make 'em, but there just is not a great demand for this kinda thing.  I just don't think you are going to find much commercially available that goes to 8' feet that will collapse down smaller than something near the 30" range...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:13:38 PM by RobertNC »
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2006, 01:34:14 AM »

Could also be that the collapsed length is wrong and the max hieght is correct?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2006, 05:18:04 AM »
Time to resurrect.

I have the opportunity to buy a Shure S15A for a good price. I can't find much info about it online. Can anyone give me good reason not to pick it up? Thanks.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20

Team SoCal

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2006, 10:19:35 AM »
Time to resurrect.

I have the opportunity to buy a Shure S15A for a good price. I can't find much info about it online. Can anyone give me good reason not to pick it up? Thanks.

I just bought a used S15. I haven't used it yet, but it's light, fairly compact and has the right height adjustments. As far as info...what are you looking for? There are a few places that have these cheaper then Sweetwater if you are seriously considering though. Here is one from Performance Audio for $25 cheaper and includes free shipping: http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=005882
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 10:21:18 AM by TheWildKindness »
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2006, 12:51:59 PM »
Time to resurrect.

I just bought a used S15. I haven't used it yet, but it's light, fairly compact and has the right height adjustments. As far as info...what are you looking for? There are a few places that have these cheaper then Sweetwater if you are seriously considering though. Here is one from Performance Audio for $25 cheaper and includes free shipping: http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=005882

Bought one a few years back and returned for making bell noises with slight movement being touched or sway from wind.  So for acoustic recording I couldn't use it

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »
Time to resurrect.

For info I was wondering what kind of footprint it had, how much it weighed, how sturdy it was. Every site has pretty mucht he same description. I already have an eight foot Smith-Victor stand, but the number of adapters I have to use is a little frustrating. I'd like to be able to run comfortably at 10-12 feet if I need to plus just screw on a vert bar without going through an adapter. I wouldn't be buying through Sweetwater, I just linked there to give an idea of what the information on the thing is like. I would be getting it for $120 used. Since there aren't many user reviews of it online, I was curious if many people on here had tried it and what they think of it. Guysonic's history with it is a little worrying. Would anyone else like to comment on it?

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.224 seconds with 86 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com