Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation  (Read 18657 times)

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
Re: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 11:15:09 AM »
make sure when using alumunum that you don't let people clamp too hard, it'll bend the metal.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 11:20:23 AM »
The 2nd place I called says that the extra 1.5 feet is from the base setup.  1.5 feet from base adjustment?
I gotta see this thing in person but i can't find it locally...

18" from the base?  I just don't see how that's physically possible.  If the closed length is 16.7", then the legs are no longer than 16.7".  Even with the legs extended completely vertically (i.e. so it's basically a monopod instead of a tripod, which, btw, isn't physically possible given the way the legs swing out), the tallest height gain from the legs would only account for 16.7", still shy of the additional 18" they claim.  More realistically, I'm guessing an extra 12" from the base, which still only gets the total height to 6' 5" by my calculations.  I must be missing something fundamental here...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »
The 2nd place I called says that the extra 1.5 feet is from the base setup.  1.5 feet from base adjustment?
I gotta see this thing in person but i can't find it locally...

18" from the base?  I just don't see how that's physically possible.  If the closed length is 16.7", then the legs are no longer than 16.7".  Even with the legs extended completely vertically (i.e. so it's basically a monopod instead of a tripod, which, btw, isn't physically possible given the way the legs swing out), the tallest height gain from the legs would only account for 16.7", still shy of the additional 18" they claim.  More realistically, I'm guessing an extra 12" from the base, which still only gets the total height to 6' 5" by my calculations.  I must be missing something fundamental here...

Yep, this just doesn't make sense.  16.7 * 5 is still just under 7 feet.  How could the manufacturer SOOO mis-represent the height? Hmm, makes me almost believe the first vendor claim that there are 4 sections and 3 risers.  The first vendor is in NYC so I will go see it in person next week as shipping it back and forth is more of a pain.

Grrr, this shouldn't be so complicated! :(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 12:22:41 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 02:54:10 PM »
Had a thought. It might be that the legs extend. This would explain what vendor 1 said about the risers extending and vendor 2 saying the extra height came from adjusting the base.

does this seem possible?

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »
It doesn't look like the legs can extend to me.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline bluevolvo

• Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 06:11:39 PM »
well it doesn't shrink down to as small as it looks like you'd like, but i like my 3364QL.  You never know when lurch is going to be screaming in front of you, and if you don't need the height it's only strudier with less telescope out there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=125206

i'm only 5-7 145# wet and my gear bag is a heck of a lot more weight than this thing.  cursed 12V-7aH SLA!!!

it also might come in handy if you have a situation on your way back to the car after a show in a somewhat questionable part of town...or maybe to beat down a wOOk...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:14:46 PM by bluevolvo »
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 10:57:37 PM »

well it doesn't shrink down to as small as it looks like you'd like, but i like my 3364QL.  You never know when lurch is going to be screaming in front of you, and if you don't need the height it's only strudier with less telescope out there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=125206

i'm only 5-7 145# wet and my gear bag is a heck of a lot more weight than this thing.  cursed 12V-7aH SLA!!!

it also might come in handy if you have a situation on your way back to the car after a show in a somewhat questionable part of town...or maybe to beat down a wOOk...

Thanks, but that is hardly portable :)

I already have a big mic stand and I am looking for something so I can have all my taping gear in a small shoulder bag (makes it easier to go drinking etc after the show). 

Update: I haven't yet gotten to the store to report back on the stand in question. I will likely check it out this Friday.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 04:12:29 PM »
Bump anyone pick one up?

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 11:23:28 AM »
I emailed asking about foot print on the salvage stand and they said The footprint is 33". Is that across or around? Is that small enough for tape form seat because I need to order 1 ASAP.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 01:44:05 PM »
I emailed asking about foot print on the salvage stand and they said The footprint is 33". Is that across or around? Is that small enough for tape form seat because I need to order 1 ASAP.

Even if it's not, just pick up some Gaffer Tape and you can tape it to the seats in front of you quite easily.  Since it's aluminum (can't spell that word to save my life) it will be quite light and that way if the footprint is too large you just leave the legs folded up.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »

Even if it's not, just pick up some Gaffer Tape and you can tape it to the seats in front of you quite easily.  Since it's aluminum (can't spell that word to save my life) it will be quite light and that way if the footprint is too large you just leave the legs folded up.

Sidenote - I have had people be not so cooperative when trying to tape the stand to the seat in front of me. When I asked one couple if that would be OK, the man simply put his arm around his wife's shoulders, negating any area in which to tape my stand. Passive-agressive behavior at its finest!

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 03:46:41 PM »

Sidenote - I have had people be not so cooperative when trying to tape the stand to the seat in front of me. When I asked one couple if that would be OK, the man simply put his arm around his wife's shoulders, negating any area in which to tape my stand. Passive-agressive behavior at its finest!
yeah I feel I am going to upset people when I try to tape from the 6th row in 2 weeks, it sould be fun.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »
Luckily, I've never had any problems with anybody, but I've only taped to the seats twice.  Both times I asked the people if they'd mind and gave them my email address to email me for a copy of the show.  That seems to make them happy.  If you are really worried about it and there's a sound board area in the center of the venue, make nice with the board tech as they'll typically let you set up near their enclosure.  Tell them you saw the band before and sat by the board and the sound was incredible...flattery always helps.  That's where they are during the soundcheck and to see you noticed that the sound is better in that area is good way to ensure they'll let you set up near the board.  Also be polite and say you have really close seats and are worried about bothering people with your stand, the fact that you are "going out of your way" to be sure not to interfere with the audience enjoying the show will earn you bonus points.  An added bonus of doing this is there's usually security by the board, make small talk with them so they recognize who you are and you can rest assured that nobody will be messing with your gear because they'll know it's yours.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
Luckily, I've never had any problems with anybody, but I've only taped to the seats twice.  Both times I asked the people if they'd mind and gave them my email address to email me for a copy of the show.  That seems to make them happy.  If you are really worried about it and there's a sound board area in the center of the venue, make nice with the board tech as they'll typically let you set up near their enclosure.  Tell them you saw the band before and sat by the board and the sound was incredible...flattery always helps.  That's where they are during the soundcheck and to see you noticed that the sound is better in that area is good way to ensure they'll let you set up near the board.  Also be polite and say you have really close seats and are worried about bothering people with your stand, the fact that you are "going out of your way" to be sure not to interfere with the audience enjoying the show will earn you bonus points.  An added bonus of doing this is there's usually security by the board, make small talk with them so they recognize who you are and you can rest assured that nobody will be messing with your gear because they'll know it's yours.
Thanks for the tips I am going to try to make nice with people upfront so I can run my J disk, if not I will try the board area plan.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2006, 07:50:56 AM »
I am still wondering if anyone picked up one of these yet? Too bad they don't offer it in black, if so I would get one.

Why not tape your stand in between your seat & the next one? I do it all the time with no problems.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com