Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Milab VM-44 Link  (Read 19889 times)

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
Re: Milab VM-44 Link
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2006, 10:10:08 AM »

Thanks to Teddy I'm looking forward to putting my Swedish, "built by hand" Pearl ELM-C mics and new sd722 into action in the near future...

:clapping:     :clapping:     :clapping:

i hate you

:-* :-*

;D

RebelRebel

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »
Yes, he is one lucky fella! They are fantastic mics.

Thanks to Teddy I'm looking forward to putting my Swedish, "built by hand" Pearl ELM-C mics and new sd722 into action in the near future...

i hate you

:-* :-*

;D

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2006, 11:52:07 AM »
According to Thomas, Milab's chief engineer says they rival dpa's.

No offense, but that is a pretty predictable answer. No one would really say that their own mics sound bad. ;D I know one thing...My Pearl Mics are amazing.

The Wilco "Milab VM-44 Link" show sounds great - Congrats!!

Didn't see this posted earlier. If anyone got this and could jump on as a seed it for a while, I'd appreciate it.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2006, 02:11:04 PM »
these mics sound very nice, but i had a question for those in-the-know.  as i see these are being compared to DPA and the "DPA sound", are the Milab more forgiving than DPA's can be?  i.e. i've read many times that DPA's sound fantastic in a good room but can sound not-so-good in a bad room.  I wasn't sure if Milab had as flat a response as DPA's do?

The Milab recordings I've heard so far actually sound a tad colored to my ears, but in a good way.  I was just wondering what the overall consensus was on these.  At times they sound DPA'ish to me, other times not so.

thanks y'all!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2006, 07:43:47 PM »
On the other hand it isnĀ“t too expensive to get a ps-2 and build the little driver pcb (52 by 12mm) into the box and put mini xlr on it instead to get less bulk.

little driver pcb (52 by 12mm)?

What is this?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2006, 07:53:36 PM »
I think he means removing the pcb board from the mic body and installing that into a suitable box.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2006, 07:56:45 PM »
these mics sound very nice, but i had a question for those in-the-know.  as i see these are being compared to DPA and the "DPA sound", are the Milab more forgiving than DPA's can be?  i.e. i've read many times that DPA's sound fantastic in a good room but can sound not-so-good in a bad room.  I wasn't sure if Milab had as flat a response as DPA's do?

The Milab recordings I've heard so far actually sound a tad colored to my ears, but in a good way.  I was just wondering what the overall consensus was on these.  At times they sound DPA'ish to me, other times not so.

thanks y'all!

Neither of these two sources sound anything like DPA 402x mics to me. But I don't know that I've heard a source with an RME pre before either. Either way the combination of Milab and RME is fantastic sounding on everything I've played it on. I would call it warm sounding and definitely colored. If it weren't for the PA blowing out on a few songs during that Wilco show, I'd say that may well be one of the best recordings I've heard in years.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2006, 08:07:27 PM »
Thanks John.  I agree, they don't sound like 402x mics to me either, I guess that's why I asked.  Good point about the RME, I haven't heard many recordings done with this pre either.  Who knows, maybe folks were referring more to the fact that both mics were made in Scandinavia and were similar in style and build quality.  Either way, they kick ass.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2006, 12:46:41 PM »

i believe the 41 version was brighter than 44.  ;)

Interesting.  Do you know what accounted for the difference?  Change in electronics?  Different capsule?  There's not a ton of information on Milab mics out there, and all I know is from playing with the 41 and one other one (DC-96 or something like that?)

sorry for the delay but i finally got the answer, the 41 had a output transformer and op-amp designed circuitry.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2006, 12:49:25 PM »

i believe the 41 version was brighter than 44.  ;)

Interesting.  Do you know what accounted for the difference?  Change in electronics?  Different capsule?  There's not a ton of information on Milab mics out there, and all I know is from playing with the 41 and one other one (DC-96 or something like that?)

sorry for the delay but i finally got the answer, the 41 had a output transformer and op-amp designed circuitry.

Ahhhhh.  I knew there was a good reason I liked it so much.  Op Amps and transformers.   :coolguy:
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2006, 09:19:14 PM »
I really would like to run some of these sometime, but I am not selling the 4v's to do so. 8) So, back to wishful thinking!

If I were a bettin man, I would bet the Milab VM-44 Link > Milab Pre > 722 would sound REAL nice!!!

What does Milab's Pre go for price wise? And does anyone know what it sounds like or ran one before?
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »
didnt know they had a pre, very curious
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2006, 12:13:34 AM »
I really would like to run some of these sometime, but I am not selling the 4v's to do so. 8) So, back to wishful thinking!

If I were a bettin man, I would bet the Milab VM-44 Link > Milab Pre > 722 would sound REAL nice!!!

What does Milab's Pre go for price wise? And does anyone know what it sounds like or ran one before?

Do you mean the Marenius pre? I wish I hadn't sold mine but I know a new milab owner from here who will be checking it out.

They go for about 750 or 800 new.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2006, 02:40:27 AM »
 ;D ;D  Thanks Matt -- looking forward to following in your footsteps.  I'll definitely be testing them out with both the V3 and the Marenius.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RebelRebel

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2006, 05:54:24 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com