Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The MM-HLSC-1 Appreciation Thread  (Read 17752 times)

Alchemy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The MM-HLSC-1 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 07:20:24 PM »
These mics seem to have overloaded easily...  :'(

Explanation here:-

Recorded Rush last night. The sound was truly amazing (especially for an arena). I had levels on my h120 set to 12 on both channels and safety clip on (set at 1sec). After the show the levels were down to 8 so the safety clip did SOMETHING although I don't hear it. The recording had potential but imo is completely useless as the bass distorts all the way through. I don't think its the mics I just think the levels were too hot and the safety clip didn't do enough. I wish I checked my levels more but had no chance as security were 1 metre in front all night (I could have sworn he saw my mics several times lol).

What do you think of the sample? Can it be repaired to a certain degree? I know its impossible to get rid of distortion fully but if anything that COULD improve the sound even a little bit would be better than nothing.

Ah well, my first bad recording in nearly 2 years taping. Quite annoyed with myself but I guess these things happen (plus was my first time taping with my Iriver, previously used Hi MD).

Source: Sennhieser MKE40 (MM-HLSC) > SPSB-1 (No roll-off) > Iriver h120 (Rockboxed)

Heres the sample:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?arnngmjdifo

Thanks,
Simon.

Also posted in Computer/Software area.

Simon,

You don't mention where you were located in the venue, in respect to any of the speaker arrays. In my opinion, most of the distortion involved in these recordings has to do with taper loction in the venue. I'm sure it is obvious to you that by getting closer to the stacks, you are subjecting the mics to more and more SPLs. But if you were farther back towards the soundboard, you most likely would not have that much distortion- if any at all. I'm talking about this from previous experiences.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 07:23:12 PM by Alchemy »

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »
I was about 15-20 metres away. I'm really worried about this now. I'm confused to what really caused it.

:'(
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Alchemy

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2007, 07:47:21 PM »
I was about 15-20 metres away. I'm really worried about this now. I'm confused to what really caused it.

:'(

I'll relate something quickly and you can make of it what you will. I was recording Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band this past Tuesday at a huge arena with bad acoustics. I was using the rig you see in my signature: AT831s on two wire power with no bass roll-off. I had a GA floor ticket and also won the pit lotto so I could basically tape wherever I wanted to. I selected a location about 30 feet in front of the soundboard, in line with the main right array. The sound was very loud, but I did not have any audible distortion for this part. For the encores, I went up inside the pit, and stood at the center- a mere 15ft at the most from the stage. The mix was way off in this section, but I did not change my volume levels at all. The recording did not clip, so the volume was about the same, however, I did get a few seconds of bass drum distortion here and there. I did not get this in my original spot- which tells me that the sound pressure was of course greater in the pit. I won't make any direct decisions to you, but I think you get my point.

And just because I was further back doesn't mean I made a distant recording either. I liked the sound better when I was closer to the sounboard!  :)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2007, 08:01:02 PM »
I understand what you're saying. The spot I had was super-sweet though, I taped from there before (deep purple) but I used my HI-MD and Church mics (with batt box) and it came out fine.

The sound was supurb! really great sound. It just makes me more worried for future recordings (especially metal acts and bands in smaller venues).
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline firebaugh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • NOLA Underground
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2007, 08:48:28 PM »
All I tape are metal acts in small clubs and I haven't had this problem.
M-Audio Pulsar II > UA-5 Oade wmod > R-09 (temp)
Soundboard > ST-9100 v.3 > Tascam DR-07

"When anybody asks me 'what kind of music I play' I say depression era metal." - Scott H. Biram

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2007, 08:54:03 PM »
I understand what you're saying. The spot I had was super-sweet though, I taped from there before (deep purple) but I used my HI-MD and Church mics (with batt box) and it came out fine.

The sound was supurb! really great sound. It just makes me more worried for future recordings (especially metal acts and bands in smaller venues).

I had an isuue with brickwalling or clipping with my h120 and at853's(not modded), i am thinking that the H120 has some limitations on the pre and that running a pre in front of it might be necessary, which i will run tuesday at van halen with my hlsc's, hoping this makes the difference, especially since it is in the same arena where i had the issue , it will be a good measure between a BB and a pre

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 06:35:30 AM »
Simon, you can try modding your HLSC-1 with a small 4.7k resistor soldered into the common ground conductor of your HLSC.
open the 3.5mm miniplug by unscrewing:
mine has 2 red conductors: 1 for left and 1 for right channel.
and 1 common soldering point for ground - both groundconductors(l+r) are soldered to a common single point on  the 3.5mm plugĀ“s shaft(ground).

get soldering equipment and do it ;). you can easily undo the mod aswell.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 04:22:22 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 03:45:01 PM »

I had an isuue with brickwalling or clipping with my h120 and at853's(not modded), i am thinking that the H120 has some limitations on the pre and that running a pre in front of it might be necessary, which i will run tuesday at van halen with my hlsc's, hoping this makes the difference, especially since it is in the same arena where i had the issue , it will be a good measure between a BB and a pre

Please let us know how this goes, would really appreciate it.

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »

MM HLSC-1 overloading?  :o :o
I don't think so. These mics can handle a jet plane taking off with no sweat.
You can blame any other piece of gear but these mics. They are sound pressure beasts. ;)

Thats the thing. I can't find an explanation on what it really was. I'm annoyed and VERY worried for future recordings because I don't know what caused the distortion. Is it the mics, recorder, batt box, I don't know...

Its all starting to confuse me more than ever.

I don't see how a pre-amp will solve the problem because I guess it will send an even 'hotter' signal to the Iriver input and if that is to blame (Iriver input) it will make it worse.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Alchemy

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2007, 04:25:22 PM »
Were you using a new 9 volt battery? Remember, as soon as you plug the mics into the bat box, you are drawing power. Just trying to think of other options.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »
Were you using a new 9 volt battery? Remember, as soon as you plug the mics into the bat box, you are drawing power. Just trying to think of other options.

Brand new 9v (Duracell M3) and I plugged the mics in about 10 min before the show.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 05:02:19 AM »

Brand new 9v (Duracell M3) and I plugged the mics in about 10 min before the show.

I have had duds that have come right out of the wrapper and into the pre (premium batteries too). That being said, I have never experienced a situation that brickwalled these mics. I taped godsmack from the second row in the spring and it was so loud I could feel it in my teeth but the mics took the hit with no problem.

This is what is confusing me. Because many people are saying how they never distort but here I am with a distorted recording. Could it be the Iriver as arni said? Were you using an iriver to tape Godsmack??

Thanks,
Simon.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 07:12:39 PM »

This is a sample from this past weekend in a small club for the band Stealin' Strings. I ran a stand with my SPC4's at DINA about 9' up and about 12' from the stage.  I also ran my HLSC's on the same config, same stand > ST-9100 > R-09. 

The HLSC-1's were modded my Chris Church, mainly lowering the noise floor.

Plenty of bass response out of them:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J0LHGZFO
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 06:50:37 PM »

You can blame any other piece of gear but these mics. They are sound pressure beasts. ;)

The MM website says the HLSC-1 mics can handle some 138dB without a battery box/plug-in power and still not distort.  This sounds right to all the HLSC-1 owners?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »

The MM website says the HLSC-1 mics can handle some 138dB without a battery box/plug-in power and still not distort.  This sounds right to all the HLSC-1 owners?
Not?
K=1%?
Even the `real` Sennies are specced lower. So what is the difference?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com