Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The MM-HLSC-1 Appreciation Thread  (Read 17803 times)

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
Re: The MM-HLSC-1 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 08:06:57 AM »
How are they compared to DPA 4022 cardoids regardless of stealth capability?

the hlsc-1 are substantive bigger! someone here who has got both mics and can take a picture for better comparison, please? :)
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
Some photos comparing the SP-CMC-8 to the MM-HLSC-1 in terms of size.  Lincoln for reference.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Belexes

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »
Another....

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »
OK, I've tried the Senn MKE40 again.  Very nice sounding mic I think, better than AT853 certainly, and some more detail than Church Cards.  The problem is EQ.  Lack of bass, and maybe(?) tuned for voice/middle ranges.

It would be worth figuring out the correct EQ to fix this mic.  I believe there was a guy over at Micbuilders who was writing a program to do this, but it was never released.

So far, I'm fixing this by just mixing with soundboard for a *kickass* tape.  I'll post a sample at www.soundmann.com soon...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 01:27:18 PM »
These mics seem to have overloaded easily...  :'(

Explanation here:-

Recorded Rush last night. The sound was truly amazing (especially for an arena). I had levels on my h120 set to 12 on both channels and safety clip on (set at 1sec). After the show the levels were down to 8 so the safety clip did SOMETHING although I don't hear it. The recording had potential but imo is completely useless as the bass distorts all the way through. I don't think its the mics I just think the levels were too hot and the safety clip didn't do enough. I wish I checked my levels more but had no chance as security were 1 metre in front all night (I could have sworn he saw my mics several times lol).

What do you think of the sample? Can it be repaired to a certain degree? I know its impossible to get rid of distortion fully but if anything that COULD improve the sound even a little bit would be better than nothing.

Ah well, my first bad recording in nearly 2 years taping. Quite annoyed with myself but I guess these things happen (plus was my first time taping with my Iriver, previously used Hi MD).

Source: Sennhieser MKE40 (MM-HLSC) > SPSB-1 (No roll-off) > Iriver h120 (Rockboxed)

Heres the sample:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?arnngmjdifo

Thanks,
Simon.

Also posted in Computer/Software area.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 03:22:03 PM »
These mics seem to have overloaded easily...  :'(

Explanation here:-

Recorded Rush last night. The sound was truly amazing (especially for an arena). I had levels on my h120 set to 12 on both channels and safety clip on (set at 1sec). After the show the levels were down to 8 so the safety clip did SOMETHING although I don't hear it. The recording had potential but imo is completely useless as the bass distorts all the way through. I don't think its the mics I just think the levels were too hot and the safety clip didn't do enough. I wish I checked my levels more but had no chance as security were 1 metre in front all night (I could have sworn he saw my mics several times lol).

What do you think of the sample? Can it be repaired to a certain degree? I know its impossible to get rid of distortion fully but if anything that COULD improve the sound even a little bit would be better than nothing.

Ah well, my first bad recording in nearly 2 years taping. Quite annoyed with myself but I guess these things happen (plus was my first time taping with my Iriver, previously used Hi MD).

Source: Sennhieser MKE40 (MM-HLSC) > SPSB-1 (No roll-off) > Iriver h120 (Rockboxed)

Heres the sample:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?arnngmjdifo

Thanks,
Simon.

Also posted in Computer/Software area.
your 9V battery was ok?
I had a similar experience and believe that the irivers input simply can´t handle the very hot-signal coming from the sennheisers at extremly loud shows. it´s like overloading the input with an external preamp although the levels are always far below 0dB.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 03:23:34 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 04:09:13 PM »
What if I had Chris's 4.7k mod cable between the mics and the iriver?? Would that stop the input overloading??
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Belexes

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »
What if I had Chris's 4.7k mod cable between the mics and the iriver?? Would that stop the input overloading??

That may do the trick. Were you running line-in with the BB or mic-in?

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 05:28:05 PM »

That may do the trick. Were you running line-in with the BB or mic-in?

Always line-in. I'm actually very suprised (and annoyed) this has happened. Never in a million years did I think the HLSC would distort so easily (or the Iriver input, whatever was the culprit).

The 9v I used was brand new (Duracell M3). Could have been a duff, but I'd say its unlikely as the reason imo.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline fourdegreeswarmer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shh, i'm taping this...
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 05:41:21 PM »
I had a similar experience and believe that the irivers input simply can´t handle the very hot-signal coming from the sennheisers at extremly loud shows. it´s like overloading the input with an external preamp although the levels are always far below 0dB.
It's been my experience that the iRiver cannot handle even fairly reasonable amounts of low end and will distort quite readily. I was using omnis, which I thought probably made things worse. Sad to see it happened to you Simon  :-\
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 06:08:21 PM »
It's been my experience that the iRiver cannot handle even fairly reasonable amounts of low end and will distort quite readily. I was using omnis, which I thought probably made things worse. Sad to see it happened to you Simon  :-\

Before you blame the iRiver (or any other recorder), get either 3-wire power or 4.7k mod on those mics.

I've overloaded the same mics (before I ran 3 wire).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »

Before you blame the iRiver (or any other recorder), get either 3-wire power or 4.7k mod on those mics.

Richard

So you reckon it was the mics then? Also, by getting the 4.7k cable, will it make the signal 'less-hot' before it goes into the Iriver??

Thanks,
Simon.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »

Richard

So you reckon it was the mics then? Also, by getting the 4.7k cable, will it make the signal 'less-hot' before it goes into the Iriver??

Thanks,
Simon.

Yes, 4.7k mod will reduce the level (maybe 5-10dB or so).  But I really doubt the mics were too hot for a line level input.

By the way, you don't get a "4.7k cable".  You have to mod the mics.  Each mic has three wires (two conductors + shield).  You need to change the wiring at the miniplug.

I can't help you with this, but if you Email Chris Church, he can probably do it for you.  Or, you could buy a set of his mics (just the mics) and try them out.  Not too expensive for just the mics.

Richard

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 06:50:43 PM »
I'm sure Chris has/can do the 4.7 mod in a wire, I might be wrong though.

Check this thread/post: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90301.msg1202422.html#msg1202422

I'm guessing its basically male end of mics > female end cable > male end (with mod) then into the recorder?? Did I say it right?

Thanks.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Alchemy

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 06:59:16 PM »
OK, I've tried the Senn MKE40 again.  Very nice sounding mic I think, better than AT853 certainly

Oh my! :o Blasphemy!  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com