Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what would you compare nbox sound to?  (Read 16057 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
what would you compare nbox sound to?
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:40:47 PM »
ssia. have a few, but not enough to form much of an opinion. thanks, Marc.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: what would you compare nbox sound to?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »

your making a mistake even considering this :P

marc0789

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 03:22:05 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 03:23:46 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

I am assuming you are looking at moving to scheops->nbox and selling the 4022 rig...

if that is the case, then I cant wait for your critical ears to get to listen to those tapes regularly :P

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:26:13 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

I am assuming you are looking at moving to scheops->nbox and selling the 4022 rig...

if that is the case, then I cant wait for your critical ears to get to listen to those tapes regularly :P

what's your opinion? I only have a few tapes. Appeals to me because I hate bodies, and seem to find myself in ass rooms a lot lately.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

what's your opinion? I only have a few tapes. Appeals to me because I hate bodies, and seem to find myself in ass rooms a lot lately.

in all seriousness, there are alot of schoeps tapes that I like...including some nbox tapes, but they are mostly with the hyper caps.  The card caps have a tendency to sound a bit brittle on my playback sometimes...though that is not an all time occurrence.

I have just found that even with bad rooms, I prefer the 4022s

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 12:46:42 AM »
I don't know what I'd compare it to, but I can tell you what I hear in it.  I really love the Nbox's meaty and up-front mids.  This, IMO, is its strong suit.  Relative to the mids, I find the bass less detailed and without the extension I'd really like, but not bad sounding by any stretch.  It's the highs that really get me with the NBox.  I find the HF painful, fatiguing - harsh, spitty, lacking detail, and somehow missing seamless integration in the transition from HF to mids.  Like the HF is kinda floating up there without a grounding into the mid frequencies.  Not sure how best to explain it.  I also find the soundstaging a bit flatter than I'd like, but that may be a function of the recordings I've heard - some are better than others.  But aside from the soundstaging, I hear similar sonic characteristics - to my ears - as the ones I mention above in every NBox recording I hear.  It's not a band sounding pre, but IMO it doesn't sound great, either.

In the past, I've made no secret of the fact that I much prefer the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (but of course we should all make up our own minds).  And I'll do the same here.  Better LF extension and detail.  The mids aren't as meaty and up front, though they have every bit as much detail as the NBox, if not more.  And I find the HF smoother, more detailed, and better integrated with the mids.  Given the better detail across the board, I find the /LS2 offers more accurate and open soundstaging than the NBox.  But note:  the /LS2 costs a good nerdle more!

Anyway...blah blah blah...I've said most of this before, and it's all IMO, of course.  Bottom line, I'd be reasonably happy with the NBox, but far happier with the /LS2.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:18:43 AM »
These guys are nuts :P  The nbox sounds so good I considered selling my brick. If I didn't buy it new, I would have sold it, but I figure I need a few thousand more $ in gear. It reminds me a lot of a V2. Everything sounds clean and natural sounding. The soundstage is suprisingly good. You can hear Sunny's percussion moving around you with the headphones on. There is definitely not a night/day difference between the two. I find the lemosax to be exagerated in the low end, and something doesn't sound quite natural to me.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 09:46:08 AM »
Not surprisingly, it all comes down to different ears / brains / playback - isn't it great to have options with all this quality gear available?  Another shocker:  gonna have to do some listening and make up your own mind, Marc.
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 10:40:12 AM »
thanks all. ;D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 10:41:59 AM »
I ran mk21>nbox>722 for Codetalkers in Cleveland but the PA was messed up and vocals were really only out of the left side..  I was really bummed about that one but we couldn't hear it during the show due to where we were sitting and lack of experience with the venue.

Hmm.. I did do a Robbie Schaeffer (folk, solo acoustic guitar) show stagelip with mk21 NOS>nbox>minime>jb3.

I wish we had some more simultaneous nbox/lemosax/cmc6 comps.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 01:07:52 PM »
marc, you know you're never selling the 4022s

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 02:18:30 PM »

;D yeah, probably right. I do this every time I run into a few bad sound situations in the row, then things break right and the rig pulls a stunner....happens every time. :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

;D yeah, probably right. I do this every time I run into a few bad sound situations in the row, then things break right and the rig pulls a stunner....happens every time. :P

hell I want you to sell them.  I would then kick back with a beer and watch the entertaining posts fly as you enter into the inevitable love/hate relationship you have with every new piece of gear :)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 10:44:31 PM »
nicky lent me his mk41>nbox for the last cream show at msg.(combined with my sbm1>jb3)  it was my first time running the nbox.

nick says the box was made for and sounds best with the mk4's, but that the mk41 "grab" more of the music when you are farther back as i was. going in to the concert, i was not expecting much from the recording, but i i must confess i was impressed with the results. and the box is super easy to use. flip a switch and off you go. i think nick is now making the nbox with a variable gain option if requested.

i am going to see if i can borrow the mk4>nbox rig to run some more up front and steath shows. sorta like kickin the tires and taking a test drive.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »

the brick might be bloating it up a bit in bad rooms.  if you're actuallly considering new toys, hell, we know you've spent a ton of money so far, so instead of new mics, maybe a second pre to take to bad rooms with a little bass roll off?

dunno, just thinking out loud

marc0789

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 10:11:48 AM »

the brick might be bloating it up a bit in bad rooms.  if you're actuallly considering new toys, hell, we know you've spent a ton of money so far, so instead of new mics, maybe a second pre to take to bad rooms with a little bass roll off?

dunno, just thinking out loud

I think it's actually the modsbm1 "bloating it up" in bad rooms. Contrary to popular belief, at least in my opinion, the brick is really very transparent. Little low end boost, but just large warm defined bass and not sloppy. Def. notice more thump with the mod in the chain as opposed to a 1k or mme. Imo. So might go that way.....not the 1k but a mme. Thanks for the thoughts....

Offline scb

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 10:23:33 AM »
oh i completely forgot you have the mod sbm (yet it's written right there under your avatar).  yeah i'd sat that's it. 

you may think it's crazy, but maybe next time you're in one of those shit rooms, could you run line into the m1?  you might lose some goodness, but you also might learn how much the mod sbm is bloating things

marc0789

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 10:30:48 AM »
oh i completely forgot you have the mod sbm (yet it's written right there under your avatar).  yeah i'd sat that's it. 

you may think it's crazy, but maybe next time you're in one of those shit rooms, could you run line into the m1?  you might lose some goodness, but you also might learn how much the mod sbm is bloating things

good idea. might be time to start shopping for a mme again too. really liked the sound, only got rid of it due to back issues. In retrospect, trading a mme for a modsbm1 to save weight might have been misguided....I think the sbm might actually weigh more. ;) ;D Seriously, it's because of the 6v weight, and not being able to add the weight of a full size deck. I found the screwdriver adjustments to be tolerable with a full size deck with a nice display, but very difficult with a m1.

Offline scb

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 10:37:39 AM »
or if you're set on spending cash, sell the mod sbm and m1 for a damn 722.  :)

marc0789

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 11:06:46 AM »
or if you're set on spending cash, sell the mod sbm and m1 for a damn 722.  :)

would be an upgrade over the modsbm1 I think, but a downgrade from the mme as an adc. and definitely *not* interested in dropping serious cash these days.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »
Marc - it seems your ultimate goal here is to pull better recordings out of cruddy rooms.  If that's the case, I doubt you'll end up happy with any pre/ADC combination change - as we all know, mics have the biggest impact on our recordings.  Do you have a budget for the changes you're considering, or is the goal to swap out current gear for something different?  Though it sounds like you don't have a budget set aside, if you DO havea budget, you might consider a pair of 463/483s to use in crappy rooms.

A completely FREE solution might be to acknowledge the venues suck (or at least that your gear in your usual location in those venues sucks) and go for a stack tape.
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 12:05:28 PM »
Marc - it seems your ultimate goal here is to pull better recordings out of cruddy rooms.  If that's the case, I doubt you'll end up happy with any pre/ADC combination change - as we all know, mics have the biggest impact on our recordings.  Do you have a budget for the changes you're considering, or is the goal to swap out current gear for something different?  Though it sounds like you don't have a budget set aside, if you DO havea budget, you might consider a pair of 463/483s to use in crappy rooms.

A completely FREE solution might be to acknowledge the venues suck (or at least that your gear in your usual location in those venues sucks) and go for a stack tape.

the funny thing is that ditching the modsbm1 would probably make those cruddy room tapes WORSE. Really is a mic issue I think, agree with you. Def. had thought about the 481(3) option because Schoeps are really out of my range unless I go with a nbox/lemosax and caps. However, I am really averse to mic bodies, particularly without the active option. thought about jk labs, but man, a lot of $.

Just can't bring myself to tape Matthews style. :P ;D

Offline scb

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 12:09:47 PM »
well what's the main thing you hate about the shit room tapes?  148 > mod sbm isn't light on the low end

marc0789

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 12:12:47 PM »
well what's the main thing you hate about the shit room tapes?  148 > mod sbm isn't light on the low end

the tendency of the dpas to pick up every damn thing. :P gear behind them is only gonna do so much.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 12:23:21 PM »
I hated the 4022>sx-m2>modsbm combo then discovered I had a p-mod from the first batch in early 2002. Then sent it into Doug to get a t-mod and it completely changed things. Also tried 4022>sx-m2>w-mod sbm and it was way bottom heavy as well. If you want a cheap way to clean it up, try out 4022>m148>r1. I've made a few tapes with Roach and his m148 and they definitely came out well however we weren't in shitty sounding rooms.

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 01:24:12 PM »
I would also consider a new AD or 24 bit recorder. Look at the Marantz 671 or holdout for the Tascam (and hope its good) like I am. If you do jump ship and move to schoeps we could share caps. Buy yourself a pair of 483's for those nights...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:08:22 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2005, 01:31:18 PM »
I have made many sick tapes with the Nbox.  Brian states the highs are 'spitty' is this a made up term.  C'mon Mr. Skalinder.  You guys and your sonosux units with your dampened sound and no high frequency.   ::)  Actually I like the sonolax in some situations.  (notice 2 new coined sonosax terms).  What you have to keep in mind is that the schoeps are colored unlike the 4022s.  I would keep the 4022s for some situations and use the schoeps for others.  Hey keep in mind I am having fun you guys dont take the ribs seriously... ;D

Check out my Vegoose tapes.   Ian Stone posted them they are sick.  Tell me those are spitty Brian.  The 4022s are reference microphones therefore, if you are not in the sweet spot or are in a boomy room they do not produce the sound you want.  Nick will make you an Nbox with pots so you can adjust the gain.  This eliminates bodies and need for a large preamp.  Let your ears make the decisioin and not your wallet. 

Oh yeah, Please dont take any more tickets away.  Boo Hoo >:D >:D >:D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2005, 04:41:20 PM »
Brian states the highs are 'spitty' is this a made up term.

"Spitty" - and the other words I used ("painful, fatiguing - harsh, spitty, lacking detail, and somehow missing seamless integration in the transition from HF to mids") - is the best I can do in attempting to translate what I hear into written word.  For me, anyway, turning what I hear into the written word is incredibly difficult.  I stand by my statement, as I hear it in every NBox recording to which I listen.

Check out my Vegoose tapes.   Ian Stone posted them they are sick.  Tell me those are spitty Brian.

I'm listening to the Flaming Lips recording right now.  And I still hear the HF as "fatiguing - harsh, spitty, lacking detail, and somehow missing seamless integration in the transition from HF to mids".  Again, same as with all the other NBox recordings I've heard.  I admit, though, that this FL recording is not as fatiguing as others I've heard, I suspect due to <1> the original source of AD2K at 24/48 and <2> the dithering/resampling process.  But I still hear the same sonic characteristics.

None of this to suggest the NBox sucks - it's a great box.  Just not for the current state of my playback / ears / brain.
Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2005, 01:25:31 AM »
I am glad you were able to listen to the FL Brian.  Where are your Vegoose tapes posted so I might listen?  I am also curious what your playback is.  I am as interested in sonic details as you. 

Peace,

dd 8)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2005, 03:49:43 AM »
I am glad you were able to listen to the FL Brian.  Where are your Vegoose tapes posted so I might listen?  I am also curious what your playback is.  I am as interested in sonic details as you.

I didn't tape Vegoose, unfortunately.  My current playback gear:

[1] (primary)
PC >
WaveTerminal 2496 digi-out >
Bel Canto DAC 1.1 >
Audio Experiences Symphonies >
McCormack DNA-1 >
Von Schweikert VR-1

OR

[2] (secondary)
PC >
Bel Canto DAC 1.1 >
AKG K-501 headphones

Though I sometimes miss...

[3] (alternate)
PC >
Bel Canto DAC 1.1 >
McCormack DNA-1 >
Magnepan MMG + Pinnacle BabyBoomer
Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2005, 06:52:59 PM »
First off how do I do that thing where you get the quote from the other person in purple?

Secondly, I apologize Mr. Skalinder for dragging my ass and my gear across the country to tape the Vegoose festival (in your absense) so people such as yourself might have an opportunity to hear what they were not present for or did not want to drag their gear out for.  I feel really bad that I returned with such an awful representation of the artists I recorded.  Secretly I am sure that my tapes will be frequently played on your system.  Funny that so many other folks who have heard my tapes from the fest like them.  I believe that you have some superhuman 'doglike' hearing which enables you to hear frequencies the rest of the human population cannot.  Maybe this is something you can turn into a comic superhero or something. 

SUPERAUDIOPHILE "able to hear spitty nbox recordings in a single playback."  You could talk like an English butler, ya know the snobby type.  Try it, say this with an english accent....'Sir that recording is quite spitty'  or 'turn that spitty tape down'  or 'I need to sit from the fatigue of those spitty recordings'
I agree that describing the nuances of sound is difficult but 'spitty' is how my YZ80 performed with the wrong gas/oil mix, it is not a term used in audio description. 

The truth really is that no rig is perfect for every recording situation.  Some are more adaptable than others however.  The other point to make is that everything is colored.  From what we record with to what we playback on.  Perhaps the 'integration b/t the HF and mids on your VR-1s isnt so hot.  I doubt it knowing the Von Schweikerts reputation (I run the VR3s myself) however I have never heard VR1s. 

It is good to know that there are people out there who are better than me like yourself.  I need role models too.

I believe that I will travel to your city so that we can make some tapes together on the same stand and get the tapes out and let the masses decide.  Whattayasay????  Lets have some fun, isnt that why we do this anyways?

Happy taping.  Drive as fast as you can.

dd

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2005, 06:53:33 PM »

the tendency of the dpas to pick up every damn thing. :P gear behind them is only gonna do so much.

If you are eating crappy McDonald's, I don't think the best way to make it taste better is to scrape off your taste buds.  ;)

But seriously, I think most crappy venues sound bad predominantly due to boominess. A little low cut can make a lot of recordings sound more clear and defined. Personally I have just accepted that when the show sounds like crap the tape will reflect that, but it is a very REALISTIC crappy tape!  :P    To be honest there is something to be said for that, especially if you are listening on a decent system, the realism will really take you back to being right in the show and that particular venue.

Might want to try XY in crappy venues too, I think running coincident cleans things up a bit. That is my normal config for small/medium clubs and theaters.

BC

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2005, 06:58:57 PM »
First off how do I do that thing where you get the quote from the other person in purple?

click on the "quote" button on the message you want to quote.

Take it easy, Brian is just being honest about how he thinks that gear sounds, don't take it as a personal knock on your rig or tapes.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 07:35:23 PM »

click on the "quote" button on the message you want to quote.

Take it easy, Brian is just being honest about how he thinks that gear sounds, don't take it as a personal knock on your rig or tapes.

Thanks!! Now I know how to quote.  Did you eat Mickey Ds today.  Who wants to go to Dees diner. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »

hell I want you to sell them.  I would then kick back with a beer and watch the entertaining posts fly as you enter into the inevitable love/hate relationship you have with every new piece of gear :)

;D

who, marc? :P 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2005, 07:43:34 PM »
I think its funny that you guys take away my tickets but dont have an internet penis large enough to say who you are.  For the people that are giving my tickets back.  If you support what I am saying.  Please take them away instead.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2005, 12:01:48 AM »
Secondly, I apologize Mr. Skalinder for dragging my ass and my gear across the country to tape the Vegoose festival (in your absense) so people such as yourself might have an opportunity to hear what they were not present for or did not want to drag their gear out for.

Apparently, I've struck, a nerve - but I'm not sure exactly how.  At no point did I suggest I was ungrateful for your schlepping gear across the country to record and distribute your recordings.  On the contrary - I'm thankful for all tapers willing to do so.

I feel really bad that I returned with such an awful representation of the artists I recorded.

I never suggested your recordings provide an awful representation of the musicians you recorded. 

Secretly I am sure that my tapes will be frequently played on your system.  Funny that so many other folks who have heard my tapes from the fest like them.

Whether or not I'll frequently play your recordings, I don't know - to be honest, I haven't even really followed who played at Vegoose - but if I do play your recordings, I feel no need to do so secretly.  I have not suggested I ddo like your recordings, I simply stated the sonic characteristics I hear in the NBox - including those you made at Vegoose.  Nothing more.  The NBox is a good piece of gear, and makes excellent recordings.  But I happen to prefer different gear for my own recording.  That is all, nothing more.

I believe that you have some superhuman 'doglike' hearing which enables you to hear frequencies the rest of the human population cannot.  Maybe this is something you can turn into a comic superhero or something.

Now that's funny!  I don't have superhuman 'doglike' hearing.  My hearing is better than some, and not as good as others - nothing unusual, IMO.

SUPERAUDIOPHILE "able to hear spitty nbox recordings in a single playback."  You could talk like an English butler, ya know the snobby type.  Try it, say this with an english accent....'Sir that recording is quite spitty'  or 'turn that spitty tape down'  or 'I need to sit from the fatigue of those spitty recordings'
I agree that describing the nuances of sound is difficult but 'spitty' is how my YZ80 performed with the wrong gas/oil mix, it is not a term used in audio description.

Forgive me for not using an audio descriptor of which you approve.  ::)  I tried my best to communicate the sonic characteristics I hear in the NBox.  If you don't agree with my opinion, or care for the words I use in my attempt at translation, suit yourself.  But I see no reason why you should take it so personally.  I've considered attempting to re-phrase my thoughts on the NBox, but given your latest response I have zero confidence you'll accept, understand, or even acknowledge my further attempts, so I won't waste my time.

The truth really is that no rig is perfect for every recording situation.  Some are more adaptable than others however.  The other point to make is that everything is colored.  From what we record with to what we playback on.

Agreed - no piece or combination of gear is perfect for every recording situation, and every piece of gear - both recording and playback - is colored.  As hobbyist audio recordists, we all make compromises in the gear we choose.  Shoot, even professionals with vast arrays of gear have to make compromises.  Not only is no piece or combination of gear perfect for every recording situation, no piece of or combination of gear is perfect for every playback system and set of ears and brain.

Perhaps the 'integration b/t the HF and mids on your VR-1s isnt so hot.  I doubt it knowing the Von Schweikerts reputation (I run the VR3s myself) however I have never heard VR1s.

I don't believe the NBox's sonic characteristics for which I don't care are a function of the VR-1s - I hear the same HF sonic characteristics in NBox recordings whether played on my current system, all my previous speaker-based playback systems with various preamps, amps, and ADCs, several different headphone-based listening setups, and friends' playback gear, too.  Some of the playback systems emphasized certain sonic characteristics of the NBox, others minimized them, but I've heard similar NBox HF characterics with all my playback gear.

It is good to know that there are people out there who are better than me like yourself.  I need role models too.

It seems you've taken my simple statement - my opinion - about the sonic characteristics I hear in the NBox rather personally.  I don't know why, but that seems to be the case given your response.  I did not intend to present my opinion as a personal attack on your or your gear, and don't believe I did so.  But if it came across that way, I apologize.  It's not personal.

I believe that I will travel to your city so that we can make some tapes together on the same stand and get the tapes out and let the masses decide.  Whattayasay????  Lets have some fun, isnt that why we do this anyways?
Feel free to travel to Chicago and we'll run comps.  I'll even buy you a beverage of your choice!   :cheers:  As most here know, I'm always game for gear comparisons.  I just ran a comp last night, actually, that I'll seed shortly:  24-bit V3 v. T+ UA5.  Though we won't be able to compare my Lemosax with the NBox - I've sold it since I just don't stealth often enough to warrant keeping it.  I've done comps with both pieces of gear, and heard plenty of recordings from both, and I stand by my opinion of the NBox's sonic characteristics.  Others may disagree.  Thank goodness we have a variety of gear from which to choose!  Isn't choice grand?  Honestly, I couldn't care less what the masses think of comparisons, your recordings, or my recordings.  I record concerts and perform gear comparisons first and foremost to please myself.  If others like my recordings or find the comparisons useful, that's a bonus, but I don't especially care one way or the other.

FWIW, I've not -T'd you.  I reserve that function only for the most egregious trolls.  Your getting huffed up about my opinion doesn't qualify as irritating enough to break out the dreaded -T.
Roland R-05

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2005, 01:11:21 AM »

dd

DUH you hit the 'quote' button.... u suck at the internets  ;D
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline scb

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2005, 07:17:05 AM »
Secondly, I apologize Mr. Skalinder for dragging my ass and my gear across the country to tape the Vegoose festival (in your absense) so people such as yourself might have an opportunity to hear what they were not present for or did not want to drag their gear out for.  I feel really bad that I returned with such an awful representation of the artists I recorded. 

we're all tapers here.  we all frequently drag gear across the country to make tapes.  we all also happen to hear different things or like/dislike different things about certain pieces of gear.  this is why we all don't run the same thing. 

no one said you suck.  he was simply stating his opinion on the nbox, just like you stated yours about a sonosax. 

i prefer dpas over schoeps.  but that doesn't mean i'll never listen to schoeps.  it just means i'd rather *own* dpas

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2005, 09:32:36 AM »
I like the NBox for its size and the ability to run actives.  It sounds very good, but in a rough comparison I put together at an Umphrey's show a few months back, I preferred the mk41>tubes>v3 over the mk41>nbox>ad2k.  Both the tubes and nbox rigs were on the same stand.  I also had a mk41>kc5>cmc6>v3 source from a different stand, and I found it to have better high and low extension than the nbox, but sounded thin compared to the nbox and tubes.  Both the nbox and tubes really warmed up the mk41's and improved the midrange.  The tubes had all the mid warmth of the nbox, but slightly better high and low extension.  Now if you compare the size and complexity of the nbox vs. tubes, the nbox wins hands down.  If I was someone who stealthed a lot (or just wanted a simple and small rig), I would definitely try the nbox.

Now its been awhile since I've listened to a Sonosax source, so I'll refrain from making any comparison with the nbox.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:55:50 AM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2005, 09:55:12 AM »
I really don't see why some people can't discuss this stuff like adults and have to get all bent out of shape and un-civil.

I'd like to see, on one stand and in same config: cmc6, lemosax and nbox..  I can do mk41>cmc6>722. I know another local taper who can do mk41>lemosax>722.  We just need an nbox and another pair of mk41's around SE michigan to add some more fuel to this fire with more comps.

Whenever I open this thread, I am reminded of an old friend who has all these great shop floor sayings..  He doesn't tape and his hearing is probably pretty bad, but I'm pretty sure he'd say "sounds like a couple of skeletons fucking on a tin roof..."

Now I need to read BrianS's reply..

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2005, 11:25:54 AM »
I really don't see why some people can't discuss this stuff like adults and have to get all bent out of shape and un-civil.

to add drama to the forum ya know spice it up a bit

I'd like to see, on one stand and in same config: cmc6, lemosax and nbox.. 

i dont believe the cmc6 is used with a lemosax.

just sayin

:) :)

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2005, 11:28:42 AM »
The cmc6 wouldn't be used with the lemosax.

Three rigs:

1. mk41 > nbox > something
2. mk41 > lemosax > something
3. mk41 > cmc6 > something

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2005, 11:42:01 AM »
yes, but the "something" on the cmc6 wouldn't be the same "something" on the nbox and sax.  cmc6 would require a preamp + a/d, the nbox and sax only the a/d.

I'm with you, though.  Definitely should throw a cmc6 based source in there.

The cmc6 wouldn't be used with the lemosax.

Three rigs:

1. mk41 > nbox > something
2. mk41 > lemosax > something
3. mk41 > cmc6 > something

Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »
I agree that the 'something' will add more color to the cmc6 source due to the something adding most of the gain.  The nbox adds 20dB. The lemosax is variable but I think it should be cranked up to around 20 dB so that it contributes to the sound as much as possible.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2005, 04:33:10 AM »
Brian you have no stability or consistancy in your bold statements.  Watch me flame your silly ass........................

Brian states the highs are 'spitty' is this a made up term.

"Spitty" - and the other words I used ("painful, fatiguing - harsh, spitty, lacking detail, and somehow missing seamless integration in the transition from HF to mids") - is the best I can do in attempting to translate what I hear into written word.  For me, anyway, turning what I hear into the written word is incredibly difficult.  I stand by my statement, as I hear it in every NBox recording to which I listen.

Check out my Vegoose tapes.   Ian Stone posted them they are sick.  Tell me those are spitty Brian.

I

180 degrees later....

The nbox is an excellent pre.  you have no consistant opinion and you dont count.  stop using your status on the site you moderate to sway those who would like to use the nbox.

what do you really think brian??????   You sold your sonolax.  you must have really thought it was  a fantastic piece of equipment.  I know that in the future I will count on your claims for the sound of gear.,,NOT

Who do you think you are?  the guru of taping?  I think not.  I am so tired of you bashing the nbox without regard for the folks who use it.  You dont stealth 'you dont get out enough, you dont count.  f off f u and your opinion.  The box sounds deep, transparent, high and real.  you sold your stealth equipment b/c you know you never used it.  your opinion is worthless.  Please address us when you actually use a sonosax to compare.  Until then I will not even acknowledge that you exist as a taper. 

You dont travel for shows.   You sit like a bitch in your home downloading my shows for your enjoyment w/o making tapes for me to hear.  stop posting on nbox sites.  leave it alone.  i know i will find you soon in your city of chicago b/c i have nothing better to do than flame your fakey ass.  Let me hear your stealth tapes.....oh you have none, I thought so. 

Once you stealth and become the human mic stand talk to me otherwise stay at your house downloading my shows.  You dont stealth....therefore on this thread you dont count. 

F the other folks who cocksmoke bskalinder on this thread.  he is doing a great thing by moderating this site besides that you have no utility.  I respect this site and you for moderating it.  however your opinioin on matters you dont even involve yourself in is worthless.

I cant wait to meet you.  Happy taping

Peace,

dd

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2005, 09:39:06 AM »
It is unfortunate that you seem more interested in posting flamebait than in the particulars of the nbox and maybe planning some comps.

Still looking for an nbox for some comps around SE michigan..

I think I can line up 2 pair of mk41, a lemosax, a pair of cmc6 and a pair of 722s.  I think Ghengis has a third pair of mk41's near Cleveland.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2005, 11:42:13 AM »
Watch me flame your silly ass........................

Oh, the horror...the HORROR!!  :lol:

you have no consistant opinion and you dont count.

You're entitled to disregard my opinion, as is anyone.  Just as I'm entitled to provide it.  I addressed my opinion's consistency in your other thread

stop using your status on the site you moderate to sway those who would like to use the nbox.

Anyone buying gear based on a single person's opinion - moderator or otherwise - instead of their own ears is foolish.

what do you really think brian??????   You sold your sonolax.  you must have really thought it was  a fantastic piece of equipment.  I know that in the future I will count on your claims for the sound of gear.,,NOT

Once again, you're entitled to disregard my opinion.  And I've addressed why I sold the Sax in your other thread.

Who do you think you are?  the guru of taping?

No, just another taper, actually.

I am so tired of you bashing the nbox without regard for the folks who use it.

I'm not bashing, I'm simply stating my opinion.  There's a difference.

You dont stealth 'you dont get out enough, you dont count.

You're right, I don't stealth much - that's why I sold my Sax.

f off f u and your opinion.

That hurts.  That really hurts.   ::)

The box sounds deep, transparent, high and real.

Glad you like it.  I hear the NBox a little differently.  Nothing more, nothing less.

you sold your stealth equipment b/c you know you never used it. your opinion is worthless.  Please address us when you actually use a sonosax to compare.

I used it, just not very often.  And yes, that's why I sold it.  Please see your other thread for more on my usage, comparison, and listening of both the Sax and NBox.

Until then I will not even acknowledge that you exist as a taper.

Good God, what ever shall I do?!?

You dont travel for shows.   You sit like a bitch in your home downloading my shows for your enjoyment w/o making tapes for me to hear.

I have plenty of recordings for you to hear.  Check the Kickdown section, tapers.org, Archive.org, bt.etree.org (thirdofthree), and DimeaDozen (thirdofthree).

stop posting on nbox sites.  leave it alone.

This is a taping site, not an NBox site.

i know i will find you soon in your city of chicago b/c i have nothing better to do than flame your fakey ass.  Let me hear your stealth tapes.....oh you have none, I thought so.

I have very few to share, it's true.  Once again, see your other thread for more.

Once you stealth and become the human mic stand talk to me otherwise stay at your house downloading my shows.

I don't have much interest in downloading your shows, at least the one's I've seen posted.  It seems we have divergent tastes in music.  But I'm sure plenty of other people enjoy your recordings.

You dont stealth....therefore on this thread you dont count.

Once again, no, I don't stealth very often.  See your other thread for more.  There are plenty of people using the NBox and Sax for both open and stealth taping.  Just because those boxes are capable of stealth, doesn't mean that's the only applicable usage.

I cant wait to meet you.

Likewise.  Please post your full name so I'll know you when I meet you.

he is doing a great thing by moderating this site

Thank you, I appreciate it.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 11:43:45 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2005, 01:08:40 PM »
Freelunch....What shows should we record together? ;D

marc0789

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2005, 02:29:02 PM »
hey dood......

.....lame Phish themed screennames are pretty 1998. :-X ;D

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2005, 09:57:37 AM »
hey dood......

.....lame Phish themed screennames are pretty 1998. :-X ;D

Your hilarious.  You must have a degree in the finer arts of humor. 

hey dood....

lame liquor references  are pretty 1840. :P ::)

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2005, 09:58:26 AM »

dd

DUH you hit the 'quote' button.... u suck at the internets  ;D

Isnt internet Ian?   

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2005, 10:00:43 AM »
Watch me flame your silly ass........................

Oh, the horror...the HORROR!!  :lol:

you have no consistant opinion and you dont count.

You're entitled to disregard my opinion, as is anyone.  Just as I'm entitled to provide it.  I addressed my opinion's consistency in your other thread

stop using your status on the site you moderate to sway those who would like to use the nbox.

Anyone buying gear based on a single person's opinion - moderator or otherwise - instead of their own ears is foolish.

Once again, you're entitled to disregard my opinion.  And I've addressed why I sold the Sax in your other thread.

Who do you think you are?  the guru of taping?

No, just another taper, actually.

I am so tired of you bashing the nbox without regard for the folks who use it.

I'm not bashing, I'm simply stating my opinion.  There's a difference.

You dont stealth 'you dont get out enough, you dont count.

You're right, I don't stealth much - that's why I sold my Sax.

f off f u and your opinion.

That hurts.  That really hurts.   ::)

The box sounds deep, transparent, high and real.

Glad you like it.  I hear the NBox a little differently.  Nothing more, nothing less.

you sold your stealth equipment b/c you know you never used it. your opinion is worthless.  Please address us when you actually use a sonosax to compare.

I used it, just not very often.  And yes, that's why I sold it.  Please see your other thread for more on my usage, comparison, and listening of both the Sax and NBox.

Until then I will not even acknowledge that you exist as a taper.

Good God, what ever shall I do?!?

You dont travel for shows.   You sit like a bitch in your home downloading my shows for your enjoyment w/o making tapes for me to hear.

I have plenty of recordings for you to hear.  Check the Kickdown section, tapers.org, Archive.org, bt.etree.org (thirdofthree), and DimeaDozen (thirdofthree).

stop posting on nbox sites.  leave it alone.

This is a taping site, not an NBox site.

i know i will find you soon in your city of chicago b/c i have nothing better to do than flame your fakey ass.  Let me hear your stealth tapes.....oh you have none, I thought so.

I have very few to share, it's true.  Once again, see your other thread for more.

Once you stealth and become the human mic stand talk to me otherwise stay at your house downloading my shows.

I don't have much interest in downloading your shows, at least the one's I've seen posted.  It seems we have divergent tastes in music.  But I'm sure plenty of other people enjoy your recordings.

You dont stealth....therefore on this thread you dont count.

Once again, no, I don't stealth very often.  See your other thread for more.  There are plenty of people using the NBox and Sax for both open and stealth taping.  Just because those boxes are capable of stealth, doesn't mean that's the only applicable usage.

I cant wait to meet you.

Likewise.  Please post your full name so I'll know you when I meet you.

he is doing a great thing by moderating this site

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Am I sensing some humor here Brian?  Nice.  You are a class guy to have a response like that!  I changed my mind I wont pour beer on your lemosax. ;)

Offline Brian

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2005, 05:08:45 PM »

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2005, 03:40:05 AM »
I have now modified the naked box to have the ability to pickle a cuke. 8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.204 seconds with 81 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com