Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is KCY?  (Read 10437 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
What is KCY?
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »
I'll probably make a fool of myself for asking this but I need to know.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: What is KCY?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
"Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG 16.4' Active Stereo Cable for MK Capsules"

https://tinyurl.com/y8gwuo8d

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »

Terry

Thank you, Terry!

So that's the official Schoeps active cables? Does it have any advantages against the Nbob active cables?

My Nbox has a ta6 connector and I guess KCY has some other connector?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
The KCY terminates in a mini Binder plug and was originally designed to be run with either the VST 62 IU or VMS 5 U preamps also manufactured by Schoeps. The active/pre combo eliminates the need for the mic bodies

Schoeps also makes another active cable, the KC5 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/386428-REG/Schoeps_KC_5G_Active_Extension_Cable.html), which runs between the mic caps and mic bodies...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:51 PM »

Terry

Thank you, Terry!

So that's the official Schoeps active cables? Does it have any advantages against the Nbob active cables?

I'm not familiar enough with the Schoeps line-up to comment.  Sorry...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »
The KCY cable uses a binder 711!

https://www.binder-usa.com/subminiature-circular-connectors-m9-ip40-cable-plug-connector-10.html

Nick can make cables in the kcy format for schoeps or other caps!  I have a Nbob Microtech Gefell KCY cable.  If I am remembering correctly I believe I have seen Nbob kcy cable for AKG caps as well.  It is a different powering format than the traditional Nbob cables. 

Terry

Thank you, Terry!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:56:23 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »
I've owned both official Schoeps kcy and the nbob version. I like Nicks cable much more for 😈. It is much more flexible than the kcy although still sturdy.

Metalist, how will you power mics? You need either an nbob>Nbox or baby nbox>p48 deck, or nbob>Naiant ipa>m10. Or pick up a naiant pfa and run into a larger p48 deck. Personally I like to go small so I run my nbob into an nbox or baby nbox, and zero battery worries. Note that the baby nbox does not provide gain you have to run mic in to the m10 to get good levels. Which shouldn't be hard to do with the music you seem to tape. Apparently Schoeps>baby nbox>m10 won't set off wands a bonus. I like my IPA a lot but I detest tossing the a23 batteries after each show, I don't trust it to run more than eight hours so you can squeeze two uses. So when it arrives hoping I can replace the IPA with the baby nbox.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:34:12 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:28:57 PM »
Everything I use is KCY based - nbox, ipa, cables, etc. Nick told me he could indeed make a KCY AKG active cable.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 02:17:35 AM »
I've owned both official Schoeps kcy and the nbob version. I like Nicks cable much more for 😈. It is much more flexible than the kcy although still sturdy.

Metalist, how will you power mics? You need either an nbob>Nbox or baby nbox>p48 deck, or nbob>Naiant ipa>m10. Or pick up a naiant pfa and run into a larger p48 deck. Personally I like to go small so I run my nbob into an nbox or baby nbox, and zero battery worries. Note that the baby nbox does not provide gain you have to run mic in to the m10 to get good levels. Which shouldn't be hard to do with the music you seem to tape. Apparently Schoeps>baby nbox>m10 won't set off wands a bonus. I like my IPA a lot but I detest tossing the a23 batteries after each show, I don't trust it to run more than eight hours so you can squeeze two uses. So when it arrives hoping I can replace the IPA with the baby nbox.

I have the Nbox Platinum ABS so this will be my lineage:

Schoeps MK41V > Nbob active cables (TA6 connector) > Nbox Platinum ABS > Sony M10.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »
does the same thing as other actives

if you can find one cheap get with nick. might save you dough over habinh him make you new ones

originally was for use with VMS02IB i beleive
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 02:10:37 AM »
Schoeps cables generally have names starting with K for the German word "Kabel". Their regular 10-meter microphone cable with XLR connectors is the K 10 U, for example.

Schoeps invented and patented active extension accessories (flexible cables and goosenecks, as well as thin, rigid tubes) in 1973-74 as a cornerstone of their new "Colette" microphone series. Colette active cables were given the product name KC --, where the "--" represented the length of the cable in meters, e.g. KC 5 or KC 10. Those are single-channel cables.

The KCY is a later product--a two-channel KC. Since it is a "Y"-shaped cable, the "Y" was made part of the name. I believe it was introduced near the very end of the 1980s; it was definitely listed in the 1992 catalog. It is actually just the "front half" of a stereo KC --; its matching "back half" is the AK I/2 C, which accepts the Binder plug from the KCY and attaches to a pair of CMC -- amplifiers, such as the CMC 5-- or CMC 6--.

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:12:19 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 04:59:35 AM »
I was always wondering what the exact technical difference between the KC and KCY cables are. Is the KCY just the same as two KC cables joined together into one cable instead of two, or do these cables actually have different circuitry?

Also, I just wanted to check what KCYs cost these days compared to a pair of KC5s, but I could not find it on Schoeps' official price list (which they have on their new web site). Apparently they don't have a product page for it either. Has it been discontinued?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/963147-REG/schoeps_kcy_250_5_lg_kcy_250_5_ig_16_4.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImp2gm-GV3wIVzFuGCh1nngANEAQYASABEgKCEPD_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

I was always wondering what the exact technical difference between the KC and KCY cables are. Is the KCY just the same as two KC cables joined together into one cable instead of two, or do these cables actually have different circuitry?

Also, I just wanted to check what KCYs cost these days compared to a pair of KC5s, but I could not find it on Schoeps' official price list (which they have on their new web site). Apparently they don't have a product page for it either. Has it been discontinued?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »

Hm, I thought that the Schoeps "actives" were balanced, and the Neumanns were not, but that B&H link says this:
"Note: Due to its unbalanced signal arrangement, the output cable should not be longer than necessary."

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/963147-REG/schoeps_kcy_250_5_lg_kcy_250_5_ig_16_4.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImp2gm-GV3wIVzFuGCh1nngANEAQYASABEgKCEPD_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »
To answer a number of accumulated questions:

Schoeps KC -- cables have fixtures on each end: one for the capsule and one for the amplifier. There's really no way to extend such a cable.
  • For a few years Schoeps sold KC cables with Lemo plugs that allowed an extension cable to be added in, or the Lemo could be plugged into an adapter that screwed directly on to a CMC amplifier, or there was a neat little mixer that up to four of the Lemos could be plugged into (back then, Schoeps also made lavalier microphones with Lemo outputs, so they could be mixed via those mixers as well--see flyer below; at the moment I can't seem to find it in English, but if anyone has questions, let me know). -- The Lemos were fiddly and the mixers were expensive and didn't sell well, so the whole Lemo adventure came to an end within a handful of years. They are not missed.
A KCY is like a pair of just the capsule ends of two KC cables, which join together in a little junction box and terminate in a Binder plug. Please see http://schoepsclassics.de/1989_compact_system.htm - the plug end of a KCY could be plugged into a VST 62 stereo amplifier (body), any of a number of VMS preamps, a Lemosax preamp, or certain highly regarded homebrew preamps that are sold on this forum. But the KCY doesn't have fixtures for a pair of CMC amplifiers. For that you'd need to attach an AKI 2C, which is a Y cable that goes "in the opposite direction" and has a Binder socket input, a junction box, and two cables that terminate in fixtures that fit onto CMC amplifiers. You can then run a Binder-to-Binder extension cable between the two Y cables, but the total length of that cable should be kept reasonable, since it's all unbalanced.

I don't know of any extension cables that run between a condenser microphone's capsule and amplifier that are balanced. They aren't intended for use in high RF environments by today's standards, especially if multiple cell phones are right near the capsule or the cable. If that's a concern, I suggest the Schoeps CCM series although it isn't modular.

For that matter, most "active" cables, other than those from Schoeps, aren't even really active--they contain no circuitry that provides gain. I've complained for years about the misuse of the term "active", but only some people have taken it to heart.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com