Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Right channel slowly losing volume

(1/3) > >>

dunebug81:
I went to a show this weekend and taped 3 bands (see attached picture of wav form).  You can see that around the half hour mark of the 2nd recording the bottom channel starts to gradually get much lower and in the 3rd recording its like i turned down the gain in the right channel by 10db.

I use a set of DPA4061s with an MMA6000 into a Sony PCM-M10 recorder.  The MMA had a brand new Duracell 9V put in just before the show and PCM-M10 had some new Duracells that only had about an hour or so on them.  No settings were changed between sets and I only slightly adjusted the input down from 6 to 5 on the recorder when the 3rd band came on as they were a bit louder since they were the headliner.  I run a +7.5db on both channels on the MMA with the bass filter off.

Any idea why my right channel is slowly turning down?  I've had this MMA since 2006 and the mics were replaced / repaired about 6 years ago after my dog chewed up the cords.

**edit**. I’m using a Sony PCM M10 solid state recorder, not the M1 DAT recorder.

seethreepo:
pretty sure this is a known issue with the dpa 40XX series.  Especially if this was originally a used set from Broadway or similar.  IF they were factory  new DPA sourced  then disregard and maybe try cleaning your connections and of course try and replicate the results.

dunebug81:

--- Quote from: seethreepo on September 10, 2021, 11:58:15 AM ---pretty sure this is a known issue with the dpa 40XX series.  Especially if this was originally a used set from Broadway or similar.  IF they were factory  new DPA sourced  then disregard and maybe try cleaning your connections and of course try and replicate the results.

--- End quote ---

Both were new from DPA and one has since been replaced after the dog got a hold of one a few years ago.

I think it has something to do with the MMA. No reason for that one channel to drop over the course of 30 min. A mic wouldn’t just lose sensitivity after working fine for an hour.

vanark:
Perhaps low voltage in the battery, even if new. Sometimes that happens.

dunebug81:

--- Quote from: vanark on September 10, 2021, 12:42:58 PM ---Perhaps low voltage in the battery, even if new. Sometimes that happens.

--- End quote ---

That’s a thought. I usually use Duracell Procell 9v but I forgot to replace it before I left the house and stopped by the CVS to pick up some new ones. I guess I can put in the usual Procell and see how it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version