Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade ACM V3  (Read 61572 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Re: Oade ACM V3
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »
I'd love to hear a comp as well.  Can anyone else give anymore info about Doug's status with these?

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »
I have had my ACM V3 for a couple of weeks now but I haven't had a chance to try it out as of yet.  If someone has a pair of 4021/4022/4023's and a non ACM V3 that is going to moe. down, we could get together and do a comp then which isn't far away at this point.  We would pretty much have to run on the same stand running the same config for it to be a fair comp.  My buddy Jason Ho has the same mics as I do and a standard V3, we could likely get together at some point but it's hard to say when that might happen. 

When I got the ACM V3 back I asked Doug about the unit running hotter as a result of the mod and he said that it shouldn't run any hotter and that he has been comparing before and after and hasn't found anything significant in that regard. 

Anyways, if anyone is headed to moe. down with a similar rig, shoot me a PM. 

Offline imazephed

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • No time left now for shame
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »
I ran the acm mod v3 for the first time at the Crowes in Orange Beach. I just put up the NMA set on bt.etree they opened the show. http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509218 I havent spent that much time really listing to it but my first impressions are positive. I have nothing else to compare it to but it sounds good to my untrained ears. I am happy with the mod so far but without a stock v3 source to compare it to its hard to say how much of a difference there really is. If anyone in the New Orleans area runs Schoeps>v3 and wants to get together and make some comparisons shoot me a pm. I would really like to do a side by side comparison with the same mics>pre setup.
Schoeps mk4,mk41>kc5>cmc6>van den Hul Mic>Oade ACM V3>722 
csb>mzrh10

"WINNING"

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2007, 01:22:20 PM »
I ran the acm mod v3 for the first time at the Crowes in Orange Beach. I just put up the NMA set on bt.etree they opened the show. http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509218 I havent spent that much time really listing to it but my first impressions are positive. I have nothing else to compare it to but it sounds good to my untrained ears. I am happy with the mod so far but without a stock v3 source to compare it to its hard to say how much of a difference there really is. If anyone in the New Orleans area runs Schoeps>v3 and wants to get together and make some comparisons shoot me a pm. I would really like to do a side by side comparison with the same mics>pre setup.

I will be back home in NOLA Oct 4th - 22nd. I have an opti mod V3 and if you want, we can trade off for a show. That way you can do the taste test. Let me know if you are interested.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2014, 12:12:28 AM »
I was so thinking of starting a new topic here, but since the V3 is discontinued, it seemed like I'd post a few things and this would die off.

So here we are.
My very favorite preamp so far has been the gigantic, in-the-way-and-needs-its-own-bag Apogee Mini MP.
I taped all last year with it, and it only let me down once, when I got a file filled with scratchy noises (I still don't know why).

See here, if you care:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167179.0;all

Well, preparing for the summer season I slutted it up big time, and $825 later I am next in line for this old ACM V3, which now has an ownership tree that looks like this:

spreadheadtom > edtyre > microburst > jbell > bass_ur_face > jb63

I just wish I still lived in NYC again, because there is currently more stuff there happening in a week than i can find in a year out in the desert.

So I spent a quite a bit of research pulling samples taped with one of these modded and unmodded before I decided that's what I wanted to try, but also because (like some cranky old hermit) I drag a big bag of gear along and make 3 or 4 tapes every chance I get. With the 3 outs on this pre, it gives me a chance to pull modded AND unmodded each time I use it.

The first outing was St. Vincent.
Couldn't have asked for a better test tape. Deep in the crowd, in the sweet spot, relatively respectful 30-something audience. The db levels of the show were all over the place and I had 3 other backup tapes running so I could fiddle with this. Turned out I nailed the levels perfect for the digital out, and ran them slightly high from the XLR out to the MR2.

The levels on the V3 were at 12 o'clock (35) and the trim was also at 12 o'clock. The right trim got nudged just a bit over 12 which I think is why the right channel is a bit thicker.

Levels on the MR2 were set to -11db, and while that looked right on the meters, it was still too hot for me.

Single samples in 16/44.1:

ACMV3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VlqN5R8fn6bVFwZ0ZybWhvMDQ/edit?usp=sharing

analog:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VlqN5R8fn6X3IyUFIxVnhwdTQ/edit?usp=sharing

full show in 24/48:

ACMV3:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VlqN5R8fn6VDNOMXVOeTVZaWM/edit?usp=sharing

analog:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VlqN5R8fn6MUtIZXVkZlA4aTA/edit?usp=sharing

Thats the best I can do for comparisons for now.
Anyone with more experience with one of these, please chime in and give me some settings tips.
Anyone else, feel free to grab the samples, shows, and ask questions.

Plus, go see St. Vincent.
I had no idea Annie was in the Polyphonic Spree when they opened for David Bowie all those years ago.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:10:01 AM by jb63 »
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:29 AM »
Speaking of V3 trim, is there a preferred setting? I've always kept it at 12 oclock (5 db) but why not all the way to zero?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »
I keep it around 12 o'clock so I can either add or reduce gain as requried.  I've no worries about using it fully turned either way, except if I needed to go further I then have to use the switched knob which makes for an audible gain change.

Thanks for the comp jb63.  Haven't had a chance to listen yet.
So this is basically a comp between the ACM V3 A/D and the MR2 A/D.

Was there ever a good comp available between the ACM V3 A/D and the stock V3 A/D?  I never came across one.  When I bought my OCM R44 from Oade, years ago Doug offered to mod my V3 but I never got around to sending it to him.  At the time I was always using it's analog out.  For the past few years I pretty much always use the digital out and I've wondered about this again.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:03:51 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »

So this is basically a comp between the ACM V3 A/D and the MR2 A/D.

I guess that's correct.
The ACM V3 A/D would be either of the 2 digital out choices, correct? Both of those would be affected by the Oade mod., but the regular XLR outs would still be using the Preamp, but not the mod.
I assume the V3 itself adds some color, but I never thought about it (since I was using the line in) as using the MR2 A/D. but I guess that every recorder that's making a digital file is doing the A/D thing, right?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »
The ACM V3 A/D would be either of the 2 digital out choices, correct?
yes.

I guess that every recorder that's making a digital file is doing the A/D thing, right?
Whenever the file is made using the recorders analog inputs.  But not if using digital inputs (although some digital inputs resample, and that can affect the already digitized sound, but that's seperate from the A/D)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »

Whenever the file is made using the recorders analog inputs.  But not if using digital inputs (although some digital inputs resample, and that can affect the already digitized sound, but that's seperate from the A/D)

Every time I read something like this I feel all kinds of stupid and I remember I started out just pointing a microphone because what I was hearing was so special and overwhelming that I wanted to hear it again.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
.. I started out just pointing a microphone because what I was hearing was so special and overwhelming that I wanted to hear it again.

That's just plain cool in my book, nothing stupid about it.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:17 AM »

Every time I read something like this I feel all kinds of stupid and I remember I started out just pointing a microphone because what I was hearing was so special and overwhelming that I wanted to hear it again.

Welcome to my neighborhood!  LOL!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2014, 05:57:38 AM »
Speaking of V3 trim, is there a preferred setting?

i prefer my trim setting on my face.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »
bump to join thread cause I loves me some V3 sound! (of course I don't own one :facepalm:)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

Welcome to my neighborhood!  LOL!

Terry

Ditto for me.  And its been a long time since the first time I "pointed a microphone" at Jerry and John Kahn at the Opera House in Boston   ;)
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com