Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recs for a good all purpose windscreen?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Recs for a good all purpose windscreen?
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:54:13 PM »
So I have a pair of DPA UA0896 screens, and a pair of Shure A81WS screens. Wondering if anyone has a different kind they like. It can get pretty windy out here in Colorado, so it needs to be something that can handle a good amount of wind. Ideally I'd like to find something that does as well as the Shure, but has the smaller profile of the DPA.

Thanks
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Recs for a good all purpose windscreen?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
BAS is hard to beat.  Big works.  It's the physics.

For smaller than BAS with similar performance you'll most likely need fur.  DPA + a fur overcoat can do it. 
Rycote fur screens seem attractive.  They are 'poofier', less mat-prone, and more open than most.  Yet also pretty pricey.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:42:34 PM »
I use TBrown's Dead Muppets with my CM3s over the stock foam screens, and they worked great in some significant winds last fall.  He may have the measurements for those DPA foam screens already, and if not he can do a custom job for you.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
I also have a pair of those dead muppets, but found the BAS to be superior at Red Rocks. Other outdoor venues with moderate wind I've found the DPA's to be just fine on their own. DPA's UA0896's seem to be on backorder with everyone I've contacted for some reason. Odd since I figured it was a pretty popular item.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline dnuggs

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Festivaaaaal!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »
I use both sets of screens probably the BAS more.  When needed I use Soundmaster Windcutter brand furs with the Dpa's..rated for 15+mph winds.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
So I have a pair of DPA UA0896 screens, and a pair of Shure A81WS screens. Wondering if anyone has a different kind they like. It can get pretty windy out here in Colorado, so it needs to be something that can handle a good amount of wind. Ideally I'd like to find something that does as well as the Shure, but has the smaller profile of the DPA.

Thanks

I've had the 0896 in the past and in a head-to-head comparison with four identical mics on the same stand found them to be less effective and allow that low rumble when the wind was either gusting or in a steady breeze over ~15mph. So I shipped the 0896s with some mics I sold and got another pair of BAS screens. I also acquired some Rycote Softies but haven't had the opportunity to do a head-to-head yet. I do like the build quality of the Rycotes and the feel of the foam reminds me of the inner foam of the BAS.

<eta> the Rycotes certainly don't have the smaller profile of the DPAs though, if anything they may be a tad larger diameter than the BAS </eta>
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:56:34 PM by flipp »

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »
I was going to suggest the storm chaser windcutters with the DPA screens.  I've never had a problem even in windy conditions.  I check and it seems windcutters aren't being made anymore.  I like this option better the BAS because it is a much lower profile. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 02:36:29 PM »
Just checked the Windcutter website yesterday after dnuggs's reminder to find the "closed until further notice" message.   Hope they return to business.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »
They're a top-notch company.  I've bought a lot from them over the years, including some custom work.  Hope they can return.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
Strangely enough, and with the outdoor festival season upon us, I was headed over to this section to post a question pretty much along the lines of the OP. 

... got another pair of BAS screens. I also acquired some Rycote Softies but haven't had the opportunity to do a head-to-head yet. I do like the build quality of the Rycotes and the feel of the foam reminds me of the inner foam of the BAS.

THIS is what I'm most interested in as, for me, it's come down to the Big Ass Shures (A81WS) vs. the Rycote Softies.  I've used the BAS screens in some very windy conditions and they've done a great job cutting wind noise and are also pretty durable.  What I'm not crazy about is that they do slightly suppress some of the high frequencies.  Not entirely a deal breaker but I've always wondered how well the Rycote Softies would do in similar circumstances.  I've tried some of the home-brewed dead rat solutions over DPA UA0896 screens and they did seem to work pretty well, but they got matted regardless of how much I cleaned and combed them, and eventually lost their wind-taming properties. 

flipp, whenever you do your head-to-head of the BAS vs. Softies, I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say.  If anyone else has similar BAS vs. Rycote Softie experience/opinions, I'm all ears.  TIA. 

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but how do DPA UA0896 screens compare to say Windtech 1200s.? The windtechs looks like the stock screens that come with most mics. I've never seen a pair of the DPA screens in person so just trying to gauge how much bigger those screens are/ how much better they are.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »
The DPA screens are considerably bigger and, IMHO, do a noticeably better job of handling wind noise than the smaller screens do.  In the picture below, that's the DPA on the left, an Audio-Technica AT8159 on the right which is essentially the same screen as a Windtech 1200, Auray WHF-2040, etc. 

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »
Just realized I never responded to this. Thank you for the pic Fried Chicken Boy. Very helpful!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com