Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD vs SDHC  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
SD vs SDHC
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
So I just realized the 4 gig card I got for Xmass is an SDHC, and apparently my comps card reader does not read SDHC's, as it keeps locking up when I load it in. I have a short video I'd really like to get off the card, any suggestions? I tried the card directly in the card reader, and also tried hooking up the camera via USB 2, still no luck.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: SD vs SDHC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »
So when the 4 gig sdhc card is in the reader, the computer locks up? You can't even open up my computer and then the drive?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
Buy a cheap card reader, plugs in via USB.  For $15 or less you should be able to get one that reads just about everything.  Hell, they give 'em away with cards all the time.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
Get something like this and you know it will work for sure...
http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=41091359&navid=155441519
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
If a buddy has an r-09 you could try using that to xfer.  My card reader won't recognize sdhc cards but the r-09 will.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
If a buddy has an r-09 you could try using that to xfer.  My card reader won't recognize sdhc cards but the r-09 will.

Good idea! phantom +t to ya
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 01:04:59 PM »

Good idea. I'm surprised the computer freezes while the SDHC card is in a camera connected to the computer.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:37:01 PM »
Most "normal" "older" SD card readers do not support anything larger than 2GB or support SDHC cards at all.  It has to do with the format of the data stored on the card, and the older readers are not able to interpret it.

All SDHC capable readers can real all older SD type cards. 

Full technical nitty gritty from Wikipedia....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#Technical_explanation

"Compatibility issues with 2 GB and larger cards

Devices that use SD cards identify the card by requesting a 128-bit identification string from the card. For standard-capacity SD cards, 12 of the bits are used to identify the number of memory clusters (ranging from 1 to 4096) and 3 of the bits are used to identify the number of blocks per cluster (which decode to 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 or 512 blocks per cluster).

In older 1.x implementations the standard capacity block was exactly 512 bytes. This gives 4096 x 512 x 512 = 1 gigabyte of storage memory. A later revision of the 1.x standard allowed a 4-bit field to indicate 1024 or 2048 bytes per block instead, yielding more than 1 gigabyte of memory storage. Devices designed before this change may incorrectly identify such cards, usually by misidentifying a card with lower capacity than is the case by assuming 512 bytes per block rather than 1024 or 2048.

For the new SDHC high capacity card (2.0) implementation, 22 bits of the identification string are used to indicate the memory size in increments of 512 KBytes. Currently 16 of the 22 bits are allowed to be used, giving a maximum size of 32 GB. All SDHC 4-GB and larger cards must be 2.0 implementations. Two bits that were previously reserved and fixed at 0 are now used for identifying the type of card, 0=standard, 1=HC, 2=reserved, 3=reserved. Non-HC devices are not programmed to read this code and therefore cannot correctly read the identification of the card.

All SDHC readers work with standard SD cards.[11]

Many older devices will not accept the 2 or 4 GB size even though it is in the revised standard. The following statement is from the SD association specification:

"To make 2 GByte card, the Maximum Block Length (READ_BL_LEN=WRITE_BL_LEN) shall be set to 1024 bytes. However, the Block Length, set by CMD16, shall be up to 512 bytes to keep consistency with 512 bytes Maximum Block Length cards (Less than and equal 2 Gbyte cards)."[12]

[edit] SD (non-SDHC) cards with greater than 1 GB capacity

The SD Card Association's current specifications define how a standard SD (non-SDHC) card with more than 1 GB and up to 4 GB capacity should be designed. These cards should be readable in any SD 1.01 devices that take the block length data into account. Any 1 GB or lesser card should always work. (So the key question is how one's reader handles block length).

According to the specification,[13] the maximum capacity of a standard SD card is defined by (BLOCKNR x BLOCK_LEN), where BLOCKNR may be (4096 x 512) and BLOCK_LEN may be up to 2048. This allows a capacity of 4 GB. The main problem is that some of the card readers only support block (aka. sector) size of 512 bytes, so >1GB non SDHC cards may cause compatibility difficulties for some users.

[edit] SDHC cards with greater than 32 GB capacity

Similarly to the above, as of version 2.00 of the specification,[13] the capacity of an SDHC card is limited to 32 GB. However, while not strictly adhering to that standard, it is in principle possible to create SDHC-like cards of up to 2048 GB capacity. SDHC cards have fixed sector size of 512 bytes.

[edit] S"

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline themicah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
I ordered one of these $4 card readers that take SDHC the other day when I realized my old USB SD card reader doesn't read SDHC.  It just shipped, so I haven't received it yet to try it, but for $4, the worst that happens is it's a piece of crap and I throw it away. 

I previously ordered a cheap bluetooth adapter for my PC from the same site, and while it took a very long time to ship (they take their time getting it out the door, and then it takes a while for the mail to arrive from Hong Kong), I don't think it's possible to beat their prices on stuff like this (and the bluetooth adapter works just fine).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com