Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108622 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »
I'm intrigued by this one.  Love the layout of the XLR/TRs connectors and their usage.  Price is crazy cheap ($299) for a 6 channel, when compared to the Sound Devices Mixpre-6 ($899), and Tascam 701D ($499).  A shootout should in order once the 706 circulates.  Sound and power consumption is everything to me these days.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
I'm intrigued by this one.  Love the layout of the XLR/TRs connectors and their usage.  Price is crazy cheap ($299) for a 6 channel, when compared to the Sound Devices Mixpre-6 ($899), and Tascam 701D ($499).  A shootout should in order once the 706 circulates.  Sound and power consumption is everything to me these days.

I think that Oade is going to evaluate this model for upgrade mods too...  Not sure if that is still a possibility.  I guess that we'll see on that.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »

I think that Oade is going to evaluate this model for upgrade mods too...  Not sure if that is still a possibility.  I guess that we'll see on that.

If Doug is willing to do that, count me in.  I've owned the 660, 661, and 671 that he had modded.  The results has always been stellar.  If there was a way to insert transformers in the path, I would be very happy.

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2017, 06:38:22 AM »
Release date pushed to Mid-Nov on B&H site

B&H pre order page now says December :-/ Sucks, half wondering now if it might never ship.

Manual is now availeble at gear4music.com

Ah! Now that instead is good, indicates it is "close".

https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/media/29/291208/download_291208.pdf

Zoom F4 is six inputs too. (and I'd take it over a MixPre6 for most uses)

However if a person doesn't need TC, then it seems likely the Marantz PMD-706 might be the  better choice for them.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:40:06 AM by IronFilm »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2017, 01:52:35 AM »
Interesting, I was reading the manual and I see it has an option for encryption:

. Encryption on/off: See Menu 7 – Rec Set for
details on how to enter an encryption key.
Note: If you try to play an encrypted file, you
must enter the encryption key first.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
Interesting, I was reading the manual and I see it has an option for encryption:

They introduced encryption with the recent 661 mkiii

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2017, 02:20:08 AM »

They introduced encryption with the recent 661 mkiii
Actually it was introduced with the PMD 661 MKII along with password protection

From the Marantz website:
http://marantzpro.com/products/view/pmd661mkii

New security features have also been added into the MKII with Password Protection and File encryption ability that work hand in hand to keep recordings safe form unauthorized access. MP3 files can be encrypted to .MPS  files and WAV files encrypted to .WAS files. Both MPS and WAS files utilize a 4 digit password protection feature so that only those with the 4 digit key can open and play the files either on the player, or in the new updated PMD Marker Editor software, included in the box.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »

(Sorry to veer off-topic, but) Different strokes and all.  Each has advantages and disadvantages compared to the other.  For me, at least, the MixPre-6 ticks a number of boxes that the F4 doesn't (although the dual SD card option would be nice)...

Actually it was introduced with the PMD 661 MKII along with password protection

If I recall correctly, the PMD620MKII as well.  Very useful for the really stealthy tapers!

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »

This might *maybe* just perhaps replace the Tascam DR70D as the best recorder at this price point for film shoots, as they are both priced the same at a teeny bit under US$300.

Who is going to be brave an order one first? :-D
(not me, I already have an F4! But I might start recommending this to people starting out, once I've seen some reviews)

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2017, 10:04:04 PM »

(Sorry to veer off-topic, but) Different strokes and all.  Each has advantages and disadvantages compared to the other.  For me, at least, the MixPre-6 ticks a number of boxes that the F4 doesn't (although the dual SD card option would be nice)...

Fair enough, I think the MixPre6 is a fine machine. And can respect others who might see the world differently than I do (we're not all identical after all!), and go for a MixPre6.

Is just at its price point (which is very low! But needs to now be seen in the context of the F4/F8 as well) it seems a tad bit overpriced when you consider its limitations. (such as only four channels for me :-/ & no TC )
If it was priced the same as a MixPre3 then I'd see it as a no brainer!
But the MixPre6 is same price as F8, and significantly higher than a F4.
And once you add in a time code box, you're then a *lot* more expensive than an F4!
And you're starting to close down the gap on just getting a MixPre10T instead from the start.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
^ I record live music events.  I have zero need for timecode.  I think that is probably true for most taperssection members.  Balanced outputs aren't really useful for me either.  The MixPre-6 has a much better user interface, XLR line inputs, and better metering.  It is also considerably smaller (80.85 vs. 42.51 cu in) and lighter (1030 vs. 564 g), which is an important factor for my use.  Additionally, I like knowing that I have Sound Devices' customer service behind me; that is worth a bit of extra cash, in my opinion.

Like I said, "Different strokes and all.  Each has advantages and disadvantages compared to the other."  If you don't need timecode, the superior interface alone might be enough to tip the balance...

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
I pulled the trigger. B&H says it should be here Wednesday.

I have live music at my second job Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Too bad it sounds like ass in there.   
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »
^ I record live music events.  I have zero need for timecode.  I think that is probably true for most taperssection members.  Balanced outputs aren't really useful for me either.  The MixPre-6 has a much better user interface, XLR line inputs, and better metering.  It is also considerably smaller (80.85 vs. 42.51 cu in) and lighter (1030 vs. 564 g), which is an important factor for my use.  Additionally, I like knowing that I have Sound Devices' customer service behind me; that is worth a bit of extra cash, in my opinion.

Like I said, "Different strokes and all.  Each has advantages and disadvantages compared to the other."  If you don't need timecode, the superior interface alone might be enough to tip the balance...

Fair enough, I come from the film world though (hence the username!).

I need to get more of a hands on experience with the MixPre6 to see how much better the user interface is, or not.

Only had a teeny short play with it once at a tradeshow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEFY6xM3Vh4

I pulled the trigger. B&H says it should be here Wednesday.

Good man! Looking forward to your impressions of it :-)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:29:40 PM by IronFilm »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2017, 06:53:54 AM »
Anyone else think it odd that there don't seem to be any "user" reviews or heavy PR releases telling us how wonderful it is at early release of the product?  At least Marantz got it in stock before Black Friday.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com