Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Analog Transfers from Ipod?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Analog Transfers from Ipod?
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago our Imac's harddrive crashed.  I have a few shows that got edited and tracked and put onto my ipod, without backing them up to a physical disc or an additional harddrive.  Obviously I have learned my lesson, and obviously I feel stupid as all hell.  Bottom line, is that I have a few shows that are no where except for my Ipod. 

Now to my knowledge, when a harddrive gets whipped and the operating system gets re-installed, your Ipod will react to the same computer as a different computer.  Therefore making you format the Ipod to use it, rather than being able to transfer those files back to that computer.  Is this correct?

Since I am pretty sure that is correct, my question is really this;  I am planning on transferring these shows from the Ipod to the computer via the headphone out.  :'(  What is the best way to do this?

Should I transfer straight from the Ipod's headphone out into my computer and record with my audio editing software (Sound Studio)?  Or should I transfer to my 722, then go firewire to the computer?  Or would it make sense to use my V3 to go from the Ipod into V3 and then out to the computer using the appropriate cabling?

What are my options, and what should yield the best results?

Of course now all of my recordings are being backed up to an external harddrive and to DVD going forward.

Thanks,
Joe
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:15:40 AM by Bdifr78 »
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: Analog Transfers from Ipod?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
Although I have never done it, and couldn't refer you to a specific software, I believe there is ipod software out there to enable you to transfer your files from your ipod digitally without going through itunes.. I would search google a little bit before going the headphone out route. Your may have to use a PC to utilize the software. Good luck.

edit: try this link. http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/02/how-to-get-music-off-your-ipod/
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »
Although I have never done it, and couldn't refer you to a specific software, I believe there is ipod software out there to enable you to transfer your files from your ipod digitally without going through itunes.. I would search google a little bit before going the headphone out route. Your may have to use a PC to utilize the software. Good luck.

edit: try this link. http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/02/how-to-get-music-off-your-ipod/

Holy crap!!!  I am a real tool for not doing my research, and I love you to death!!!

Thanks,
Joe

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »
Hmm...

This might not work after all.  The software recommended seems to show the files on the Ipod the way the Ipod directory sees them.  So instead of reading something like, wsp2007-07-21.km140_d1t2.aiff, they real like this: MKRB.mp4

That would even be ok, if they were organized somewhat, but the way it would be now, I would have to do a lot more work sorting through these files, than just transferring in the shows.

Has anyone used this software before, iLinkPod?

If there is no way around this file system naming issue, I guess I am back to the original question.

Any more help would also be extremely appreciated, and I would gladly love you to death too.   ;)

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »
Hmm...

This might not work after all.  The software recommended seems to show the files on the Ipod the way the Ipod directory sees them.  So instead of reading something like, wsp2007-07-21.km140_d1t2.aiff, they real like this: MKRB.mp4

That would even be ok, if they were organized somewhat, but the way it would be now, I would have to do a lot more work sorting through these files, than just transferring in the shows.

If there is no way around this file system naming issue, I guess I am back to the original question.

Any more help would also be extremely appreciated, and I would gladly love you to death too.   ;)

Think this addressed here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94198.0.html

Seems like the naming issue rectifies itself although I have never tried it.

There are also some further suggestions on that thread.

Dave.

(Edited for use of English.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:22:57 AM by DaveG73 »
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
Hmm...

Dave.

Right on!!

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
Hmm...

Dave.

Right on!!

Try this:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=importipodaudiofiles

keytohwy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com