Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 101398 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
I think I've seen this question before but can't seem to find the answer, so I'm wondering how to make the file names go back to 000.  I just got over 100 and kind of want to reset it.  Last file name was 121013_103_mono1, how do I reset the bold part back to 000?  Skimmed the manual but it didn't seem to say.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
The problems owners of DR-680's have with these units...would they happen in the first year...second year...third year of ownership?

Thinking of purchasing one and wondered about which extended warranty I should consider.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:37:49 PM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 06:57:53 PM »
I think most who had powering issues had them manifest more or less right away, not after a long while.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:56:33 PM »
What about the cyclical swings of microphone gain?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
That seems to be temporary and over-heat related as far as I can tell from the anecdotes posted here (possibly in combination with less than specified 9V power which is otherwise OK in cooler situations? not sure).  I had it happen once, two years ago at a hot outdoor festival in the sun for one set. Shaded and better ventilated around it an never had it happen again.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
That seems to be temporary and over-heat related as far as I can tell from the anecdotes posted here (possibly in combination with less than specified 9V power which is otherwise OK in cooler situations? not sure).  I had it happen once, two years ago at a hot outdoor festival in the sun for one set. Shaded and better ventilated around it an never had it happen again.

And from what I remember this was limited to just a few units, (At least as reported here) and not a widespread issue.  For the most part, without going back into miles of postings, the issue was mostly centered around bad out of box and problems with power.  Seemed that the variable voltage Tekkeon battery was no good for the 680

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »
That seems to be temporary and over-heat related

Yes, it's definitely heat-related.

(possibly in combination with less than specified 9V power which is otherwise OK in cooler situations? not sure).

No. Overheating can occur (personally tested) using either a 9v or 12v power supply (9v dvd battery and 12 battery geeks batt)

I had it happen once, two years ago at a hot outdoor festival in the sun for one set. Shaded and better ventilated around it an never had it happen again.

Yes. The unit needs proper ventilation if a) it's a very hot day or b) you have another piece of gear in an enclosed bag that naturally runs hot.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:15:44 PM by hi and lo »

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
I guess I agree, heat has been a concern of mine for the last couple years, running in blazing hot summer festivals nestled in with a v3.
But I haven't been burned yet.
(Other than by touching the V3 on a day like that!) :)
I think I've had two card failures that seemed heat related.
But once cooled down the little thingy seemed to regain its little brains..
Yeah - vent, shade, reflect that sun away!

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »
Sorry but without digging back thru this thread..... Is anyone using a 64gb card... 35$ at frys electronics this week...
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 09:23:14 AM »
I've been considering getting a second recorder to allow for multiple configs at the same time to compare and while my first thought was another M-10 (which I love using) I'm thinking a multi-channel recorder makes more sense. Would set me up with a highly mobile, low-pro rig and something less mobile but with lots of options.

So considering that, I'm wondering how much success folks have had running mics directly into the DR-680 (similar question would apply for R-44 I guess but starting with 680) rather than through external preamps. Looks like a lot of sources have a preamp of some sort in the chain with the 680 as a bit bucket much of the time.

I have a tinybox on the way but wondering if I'd NEED to run additional pres or would the builtin pres suffice for a while to compare recordings made with akg 461s vs adk-tl's  in card mode or blumlein?

Reading the oddball mic technique thread makes me want to setup several configs at once to play around with. Seems like a great way to learn fast as compared to taking one rig to a show, and then running something different at the next which might have different conditions and trying to compare apples to oranges. Some might call that impatience I suppose but it's how I seem to learn best.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
So considering that, I'm wondering how much success folks have had running mics directly into the DR-680 (similar question would apply for R-44 I guess but starting with 680) rather than through external preamps. Looks like a lot of sources have a preamp of some sort in the chain with the 680 as a bit bucket much of the time.

I myself have run mics directly in at times but the only "avialable" sample is here http://archive.org/details/ab2011-01-05.at853subcards.flac
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
I've been very happy with the internal pres.  Now, I usually run four channels of DAV preamps--one pair feeding a Mytek A/D--when I record classical music for hire, but any additional mics are straight into the unit.  For non-paid, non-classical gigs, I usually leave the external pres at home (unless I need 8 channels and need the digital input) and have always been completely happy.  Here's one direct-in recording that came out pretty well, though it's an on-stage setup and might not be comparable to taping from the audience.

http://archive.org/details/eblok2011-12-01

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
I use the 680 internal pre-amps too. They work fine for audience taping.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
I'm wondering how much success folks have had running mics directly into the DR-680 (similar question would apply for R-44 I guess but starting with 680) rather than through external preamps. Looks like a lot of sources have a preamp of some sort in the chain with the 680 as a bit bucket much of the time.

I also have zero complaints or hesitations on using the internal preamps.  Below is a photo of the on-stage setup I ran last night.  The three ADK TLs (all in supercardioid pattern) are routed straight into the DR-680.  The small diaphram Gefell cards in ORTF are routed > V3 > S/PDIF > DR680.  Not visible are three DPA 4060s (one boundarymounted on stage in front of the drumkit on the snare side- you can barely make out a small square of gaff tape on the floor infront of the center TL, and two boundary mounted to the front face of the stage under the lip, facing the audience) also direct into the DR680 via Naiant phantom powering adapters.  On a quick listen when I got home, the direct-routed ADK setup beat the Gefells> V3 handily, but I don't think the different chains and preamps have much to do with the differences.

[edit- I also get no hesitation blues when deciding to use the internal pres of the R-44, but mine is Oade Concert Mod'ed, so I don't know first-hand how the stock preamps in the R-44 compare.  But as far as I'm concerned the internal preamps in both my stock DR-680 and OCM R44 are equally transparent and quiet enough for my use that I just use them without thinking about it.  I can hear a difference when using the V3 and it's ADC, but the sonic differences are subtle minor and usually of less impoartance than the practical issues of eliminating the need for external preamps unless I need one to get use of all 8 channels into the DR-680]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:14:42 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Very Nice!
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com