Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Workflow question (high pass filter / normalizing / balancing levels)  (Read 3143 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
I have a recording that is about 3db off between channels, and also a bit bass heavy. I'm using audacity and eventually found running the high pass filter at 120 / 6db pretty satisfactory. Would be the right sequence to balance the tracks & apply the EQ?

Thanks!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Workflow question (high pass filter / normalizing / balancing levels)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 02:54:27 PM »
Just throwing this out there, but if you're not already aware this is a great EQ plugin for Audacity: https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »
Just throwing this out there, but if you're not already aware this is a great EQ plugin for Audacity: https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

Awesome - thank you! Will definitely check this out. Any tips on using it? I haven't went too far into EQ, but realize I have a lot to gain by trying...so this is good timing.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
i always normalize last, because a lot of processes will change the levels

i also always EQ both channels independently to same RMS volume, regardless of how far they are off (say just 1 dB vs 3-6dB, same process)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 04:15:51 PM »

Awesome - thank you! Will definitely check this out. Any tips on using it? I haven't went too far into EQ, but realize I have a lot to gain by trying...so this is good timing.

Experiment with it.  That's what I've done (of course reading the documentation is also an option, but where's the fun in that).  Something that's been particularly useful is the dynamic EQ it can do.  Once you get it installed just mess with it a bunch.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 07:15:35 PM »
Good advice above.  I'll just add that straight high-pass filtering may do the job but is something of a blunt instrument.  Try a shelf filter or playing around with a combination of filters to see if you can reduce the over-heaviness without as much damage to everything down there.  As mentioned dynamic EQ can be very useful for bass issues, but you really want to be able to tune it appropriately and that requires basic parametric EQ manipulation skills (although a dynamic EQ may use simpler to handle shelf filters as well). 

High pass filtering has its place, but I think its frequently overused, especially when monitoring over small speakers that have issues down low.  Much big liveness fullness and impact lives and dies in the lower frequencies.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
Good advice above.  I'll just add that straight high-pass filtering may do the job but is something of a blunt instrument.  Try a shelf filter or playing around with a combination of filters to see if you can reduce the over-heaviness without as much damage to everything down there.  As mentioned dynamic EQ can be very useful for bass issues, but you really want to be able to tune it appropriately and that requires basic parametric EQ manipulation skills (although a dynamic EQ may use simpler to handle shelf filters as well). 

High pass filtering has its place, but I think its frequently overused, especially when monitoring over small speakers that have issues down low.  Much big liveness fullness and impact lives and dies in the lower frequencies.

Appreciate the feedback, and you're definitely correct - I'm really just using what I know, which is limited. So I suppose I need to put in some time to get a bit more advanced. Just like anything, a few tricks here and there can make all the difference.

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
Always save an original unaltered version of the recording your working on.  Save the one your tweaking as 'band_date_v2' or something so that way you can always start from scratch if you decide your modifications aren't working to your satisfaction.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
Always save an original unaltered version of the recording your working on.  Save the one your tweaking as 'band_date_v2' or something so that way you can always start from scratch if you decide your modifications aren't working to your satisfaction.

this has proven invaluable for me, esp as i got better with my psot-processign techniques over the years

i can go back to an older recordign and get better results in a fraction of the time with the skills i have gained
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 08:41:45 PM »
When starting w eq, I found 2 things super helpful:

1. Reading about what sounds are where in the freq spectrum. EQ cheat sheets are a thing: https://cheatography.com/fredv/cheat-sheets/eq-tips/  I can't find the other ones that I used, which were more graphically oriented.

2. Playing around with a spectral analyzer/editor. Nothing like selecting a freq range visually and listening to just that range to teach you where various instruments are, and vocals, in your own recordings. Also helps for finding where boom and mud are in the bass, or strident/brittle high end..

PS: TDR also make my favorite sounding compressor to use with Audacity, Kotelnikov. Simple to use, too. Fish Rabbi turned me on to it and now I use it for parallel compression on most recordings' 16/44 version. Makes a huge difference for ear buds, car, and other non-optimal listening.

PPS: You need a high quality reference playback system to learn eq. You have to be able to keep one of the sound variables stable or changes are confounded and you'll have a hard time connecting cause to effect. Doesn't have to be crazy spendy. An external DAC w headphone amp, and some reasonable headphones can work. I primarily use massdrop x akg k7xx red edition, and then check w massdrop x sennheiser hd 58x jubilee headphones. Both under $200. Of course I also check on living room system and in care. Learn how a reference system sounds, and work from there.

Have fun with it, give yourself tons of time to play, and it'll start to make sense.

Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 12:49:35 AM »
I have a recording that is about 3db off between channels, and also a bit bass heavy. I'm using audacity and eventually found running the high pass filter at 120 / 6db pretty satisfactory. Would be the right sequence to balance the tracks & apply the EQ?
I think that makes more sense than trying to work on something which is noticiably unbalanced
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
In reading the JEMS Info Files and speaking with "E" of JEMS, they start every audience recording with three standard runs on RX7.  "E" told me to fun the first three at a fairly nominal level and increase only as necessary:

De-Click

Azmuth

Phase

From there

Normalize to a set db level to consistent level on your tape

Then the fun begins, again usually in RX7 like Spectral Analysis and dealing with specifics such as wind noise, voice chatter, clapping specific to your tape

I will say that Steinberg's Spectral Layers7, which is fairly new, has an amazing isolation/stem feature, shockingly not present on RX7 for keyboards, but I've been told that RX7's is better for everything other than keyboards.  I used Spectral Layers yesterday and confirmed the keyboard function is indeed amazing. 

In short, RX7 is your friend.  I will say that the work in RX7 is very slow as each function for a one hour tape may take an hour or two, depending on how deep your modification is.  Spectral Layers is much faster, but I suspect not as good as RX7.   I'm totally new to the Steinberg product. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
Curious about Spectra Layers as I have a copy (came bundled along with SoundForge when I last upgraded Samplitude) but I have yet to load it.  I've previously used Samplitude's Cleaning and Restoration Suite, so will be interesting how the two compare.  Also have a copy of the lite version of RX, whatever it's called, but also have not loaded it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 11:05:13 PM »
Spectra layers takes minutes to run a feature, whereas RX7 may take hours. 

My take is that therefore RX7 is doing a more thorough job.

Conversely, Steinberg could be more efficient.  I need to run similar functions and put my ears to it to compare. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com