Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Voyage Audio Spatial Mic  (Read 489 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Voyage Audio Spatial Mic
« on: June 16, 2024, 02:03:51 PM »

I've always been interested in the Soundfield and ambisonic mics but early on having the clock synced channel count available and the associated post work didn't really seem to be worth all the trouble to me. But time marches on and technology improves, shrinks and gets lighter  :)

Found these while reading about Michael Gerzon -

https://voyage.audio/spatialmic/

There's a DANTE enabled version (which I know next to nothing about) that's $3k. Then there's a USB/ADAT version that's only $1k.
Monitoring and gain adjustments on the mic and a calibration that loaded onto the mic itself. Interesting.
Neumann KM140 || Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Voyage Audio Spatial Mic
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 03:57:13 PM »
Very interesting for those of us that have thought about tetramic but not made the leap yet. $1k is an amazing price point for an all-in-one.

Do we know anything about the quality of the capsules, preamps, and A/D?
waves -> bits

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 06:56:31 PM »
Interesting will check out the link..
On brief first look just opening the link it looks like it uses 8-capsules/channels like OctoMic which is the 2nd order ambisonic big brother to the 4-channel first-order TetraMic.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 08:16:51 PM »

The thing that would make this less of a "taper" mic would be the lack of analog output. I would either use it USB directly into my laptop or into the ADAT input on my interface - neither of which I would bring to a typical taper gig. But I have been building my multi track rig and for now at least I have an 18 input interface - 8 of those channels being an ADAT input - so this would be an awesome addition.

I guess if I wanted to be able to use it with the ambisonic plugin on my Mixpre6 I'd have to go with something like the Rode Soundfield mic that's the same price (but 4 capsules).
Neumann KM140 || Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 10:16:37 AM »

The thing that would make this less of a "taper" mic would be the lack of analog output. I would either use it USB directly into my laptop or into the ADAT input on my interface - neither of which I would bring to a typical taper gig. But I have been building my multi track rig and for now at least I have an 18 input interface - 8 of those channels being an ADAT input - so this would be an awesome addition.

I guess if I wanted to be able to use it with the ambisonic plugin on my Mixpre6 I'd have to go with something like the Rode Soundfield mic that's the same price (but 4 capsules).

the site seems to suggest you can plug it right in to an iphone and record using their app.

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 01:20:47 PM »
Max SPL 120dB @1kHz for the USB version, low in comparison to most mics.    Plug that into a phone, that's cool, but it may also overload at loud gigs with some placements.  I'd like to know what max SPL is at 100Hz and 40Hz, since hot subs are a thing. 

136dB on the Dante version, but now it's Dante only and you have to get into Dante Controller with at least a laptop for routing, and need capture hardware with a Dante port/card or capture with laptop using Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Can you do anything less than 8 track capture?  Like sometimes use it as a 4 channel 1st order ambisonic?  A consideration. 

As Richard Lee, one of the original Ambisonic designers said "an ambisonic mic put in a bad sounding place will still sound bad".  To say that it's not a miracle worker, it'll just give you more options for the spot you're in.

Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com