Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Removing a yeller an Audacity  (Read 1281 times)

Offline MrMatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Removing a yeller an Audacity
« on: June 01, 2024, 06:28:16 PM »
I just recorded TTB at the Greek and got a good result. The biggest problem is a guy to my right that would "WOOOOOOOOOO" once every song. Do you have any tricks that I can use in Audacity to help turn him down without messing with the volume of the music?

Thanks!

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Member
Re: Removing a yeller an Audacity
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 07:31:42 PM »
I haven't used Audacity much, but I doubt it could do much about this.

If the woos are not over band vocals, UVR5 could probably do a good job. Otherwise, it could still likely be fixed in Izotope RX.

If it's really just once per song, I wouldn't mind working on it. Just send me a copy along with a list of the exact times of the woos.

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 02:55:43 PM »
John (Down To Earth Landscaping) had one of these Woo wooers next to him at the 1st night of TTB in Seattle, but it was at the space between songs, fortunately he wasn't next to us the 2nd night when I recorded next to John. He did have an issue with a creepy woman who was offended by us recording despite being told we were allowed to record, she yelled into his mics when he used his cellphone light to look down between his feet at his gear. Fortunately mostly went unheard on our recording. She had to step over our gear to get  to her seat but it wasn't difficult to step over, but she wasn't happy about us bringing in gear, when I asked  if she had a problem she said  yes, I don't like what you're doing. I explained that the band  allowed it, she said she still didn't like it. I replied, if the band wasn't OK with it we would never have gotten the gear in. She didn't say anything else until she freaked out and yelled into his mics. I guess you get all types no matter who the band is. Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 04:12:10 PM »
John (Down To Earth Landscaping) had one of these Woo wooers next to him at the 1st night of TTB in Seattle, but it was at the space between songs, fortunately he wasn't next to us the 2nd night when I recorded next to John. He did have an issue with a creepy woman who was offended by us recording despite being told we were allowed to record, she yelled into his mics when he used his cellphone light to look down between his feet at his gear. Fortunately mostly went unheard on our recording. She had to step over our gear to get  to her seat but it wasn't difficult to step over, but she wasn't happy about us bringing in gear, when I asked  if she had a problem she said  yes, I don't like what you're doing. I explained that the band  allowed it, she said she still didn't like it. I replied, if the band wasn't OK with it we would never have gotten the gear in. She didn't say anything else until she freaked out and yelled into his mics. I guess you get all types no matter who the band is. Bob

From my experience, a typical TTB fan. That's why I only run low profile for them now. Tired of the fans
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 05:07:31 PM »
What band is TTB?

Offline AbbyTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 05:46:17 PM »
What band is TTB?

Tedeschi Trucks Band

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2024, 10:34:18 AM »

From my experience, a typical TTB fan. That's why I only run low profile for them now. Tired of the fans

From my experience this is far from a "typical" TTB fan. 1st time Ive had a negative reaction from a fan in close to 20 years of recording them.   Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2024, 10:38:37 AM »
I don't think Audacity has a spectral repair function, but I have had pretty good luck removing, or at least reducing, a yeller with the spectral tools in Audition. I think many other software packages also provide this tool. In the spectral display, you can really see the yell and scrub it pretty precisely.

Offline MrMatt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2024, 06:30:42 PM »
@robgronette Thanks for the offer. I'll have some time in the next couple days to give it a thorough relisten and make note of the exact times of the WOOOOOOer.

As for the reset of the discussion on this thread, this is the first time I've recorded TTB, and was fairly stealthy. However, I have loved my concert neighbors at almost all of the TTB shows that I have been to over the last 10 years (lots of shows). I don't want to detract from other's experience with mic stands and gear, but we can do our taper thing pretty unobtrusively which shouldn't be a problem with anyone. But I guess Concert Karens are a thing.

Keep it fun and enjoy the music! Anyone have a recording of the Saturday night show?

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2024, 08:46:47 PM »
I don't think Audacity has a spectral repair function, but I have had pretty good luck removing, or at least reducing, a yeller with the spectral tools in Audition. I think many other software packages also provide this tool. In the spectral display, you can really see the yell and scrub it pretty precisely.

I haven't used Audition, but this sounds like what I do in Izotope RX.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com